aberdeen-music

D.I.Y Guitar gear

Flights

I was having a browse on Axetec's website and I came across the following

“My latest upgrade was the Alchemist 90 pickups, and now installed on my Hagstrom Swede Tremar. I always thought the humbuckers on this guitar were a little dull and lifeless, so I thought I'd give the Alchemists a try to give it some character. WOW what a difference, the guitar sounds great, with much more clarity and definition on both chords and single notes. Clean or dirty the Alchemist 90s sound fantastic.” – Dave, (Aberdeen)

Is this someone that posts on here? I'm eyeing up that pick up and I had a couple of questions for ye!

I might've done. I can barely remember what I did last week, so fuck knows what I was up to when I was 15. I haven't opened my other guitar's flight case in about 3-4 years, wouldn't be surprised if there was a starving Mexican kid curled up in there.

I have a squier affinity stratocaster I bought with intent to mod but never got round to it. anyone fancy it for a project or something.

It's in good condition, Only the middle and neck pickups work, i've have diagnosed the selector switch as faulty. other than that its a clean looking thing with no rust or loose parts.

Not 100% sure yet. The stickers are obviously coming off, and most of the hardware is pretty rusty so I'll probably replace a lot of that. The neck is actually a lot better than I remember, but it's in horrible condition. I'm hoping it can be salvaged, but I'm not averse to replacing it. Other than that, the pups will be replaced, the wiring will probably be redone (I don't remember installing the bridge pup... but Jesus, what a mess), and I might even re-paint it. I imagine the finish will be a bit guff under all those stickers, but it was never a particularly nice looking guitar anyway.

All depends how ambitious I'm feeling. I might completely gut the thing, or I might just replace some of the hardware and bung some new pick-ups in there. We'll see.

Regarding the stickers, use Servisol. It works amazingly well!

Get some brasso onto the frets too to shine them up and get all the grit off of them! Remember to wipe it all off again though!

A good feed of lemon oil on the fretboard will be more than necessary too! :)

• Upvote 1

Not 100% sure yet. The stickers are obviously coming off, and most of the hardware is pretty rusty so I'll probably replace a lot of that. The neck is actually a lot better than I remember, but it's in horrible condition. I'm hoping it can be salvaged, but I'm not averse to replacing it. Other than that, the pups will be replaced, the wiring will probably be redone (I don't remember installing the bridge pup... but Jesus, what a mess), and I might even re-paint it. I imagine the finish will be a bit guff under all those stickers, but it was never a particularly nice looking guitar anyway.

All depends how ambitious I'm feeling. I might completely gut the thing, or I might just replace some of the hardware and bung some new pick-ups in there. We'll see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

I have a squier affinity stratocaster I bought with intent to mod but never got round to it. anyone fancy it for a project or something.

It's in good condition, Only the middle and neck pickups work, i've have diagnosed the selector switch as faulty. other than that its a clean looking thing with no rust or loose parts.

You wanting cash for it?

Cos I winna say no to a freebee!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm confused as fuck.

The single P90 strat is coming along nicely but what kinda pots do I need?

I'm just wanting a single volume knob. Researched how to wire it all online. Seems easy enough. However when I was looking to order a pot there is heaps of different variations.

Do I need a 250k, 300k or 500k? Looked it up online and I can't find anything that basically says 'Phil for your guitar you need (insert answer here). Technical shit annoys me. I just want a volume control. That's it.

I'm guessing split shaft and solid shaft mean if there is a split on the shaft of the pot for fitting knobs on it or not.

Never mind. I found out what I need

250K or 500K?

As a quick and easy rule of Thumb, we use this guide.

1Meg = very bright sounding

500K = bright sounding

250K = warm, vintage sounding

Problems can arrise when your running a Humbucker in the same guitar as a Single Coil, but these are the results we've found.

1Meg = bright HB, shrill SC

500K = warm HB, bright SC

250K = muddy HB, warm SC

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got hold of a soldering iron so I'll be going about de-constructing the Washburn very soon. Decided to keep the existing neck and just clean the hell out of it. The Grover tuners are dead good as well, so I'll retain those. Other than that? Overhaul time. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but it should be fun at least.

• Upvote 1

This is mental!

http://www.dhgate.com/jazzmaster-guitar-body-in-alder/r-ff8080812ebde40d012efa8924eb2362.html

For $42.31 you can buy FOUR alder jazzmaster bodies. Works out at £6.50 odd a body.

Those chinese fellas are mental. Fact they are alder as well. Madness!

I'm tempted to take a punt on a batch of 4 bodies. Canna really go wrong for £26! If they are shite I can probably sell a single body at 40-50 quid on ebay. Crazy! If they are good I'll probably keep two and flog the other two on here.

*Edit- Just seen the shipping cost :( even with that though it means the bodies work out at £31 a pop which is still pretty cheap! *

This is mental!

http://www.dhgate.com/jazzmaster-guitar-body-in-alder/r-ff8080812ebde40d012efa8924eb2362.html

For $42.31 you can buy FOUR alder jazzmaster bodies. Works out at £6.50 odd a body.

Those chinese fellas are mental. Fact they are alder as well. Madness!

I'm tempted to take a punt on a batch of 4 bodies. Canna really go wrong for £26! If they are shite I can probably sell a single body at 40-50 quid on ebay. Crazy! If they are good I'll probably keep two and flog the other two on here.

*Edit- Just seen the shipping cost :( even with that though it means the bodies work out at £31 a pop which is still pretty cheap! *

Just from looking at the photos, you know they're not good. For a start, they're the wrong shape! The routing is poor too, plus what the hell is going on with the tremolo cavity?! AVOID.