aberdeen-music

D.I.Y Guitar gear

Flights

I've also made an ampmaker kit, got the PP18 amp, it comes with excellent instructions plus the support is great. Really good place to start out with amp building.

The first pedal I finished was this: http://www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/Layouts/omnidrv.pdf all the parts are available from maplins, cost about £70 all in with all new parts. I didnt know how to make the curcuit board so redid the layout on perf board which made it even simpler. Its a really good pedal, I still have the layouts if anyone wants a go.

Fixing up leads and guitars is the best way to get into it though, whats the worst that can happen other than burnt fingers and dropping the iron on the guitar :eek:

It shit like? I thought it looked like he used lace sensors, but when I saw the specs for his sig guitar I just presumed it was the quality of youtube videos that led me to think they were lace sensors.

Well, it is not to my tastes as there are 3 humbuckers in it. It wont get you the "classic" Corgan tone as it's a replica of what he currently tours with, rather than what he was using circa 1993-1996.

Yeah, when I get round to building one mines gonna have a neck pickup for sure.

Depending on how I feel when I get home tonight I might start stripping down my strat :)

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56173&p=815869&hilit=Telemaster#p815869

Something like this is pretty cool. The offsetguitars forum is great for anyone wanting to build or customise a guitar.

nice tele's flights you gettin a tele build kit

nah fudge that. I'll get a pre-made body and neck like. I'm still undecided on the pickup configuration.

Turning a cheapo strat into a tone monster with Black Dove pick ups first. Then getting stuck into the Telemaster.

That golden one looks like a bit of a beast.

So after sharing a chinese with my grandad and pinching some paint from him I decided to set about project partocaster.

Begin.

AosY-R5CIAAZvbj.jpg
It's a mighty squier 'fat strat'. Purchased from R n B about 2003/4. It's served me well over the years but its starting to show its age. The pickups have next to no life and I as I've gotten older I've realised me and humbuckers aren't the best team. I decided to go down a slightly different road with this one. Rather than just ram the standard three single coils into it, I decided to stick ONE P90 pickup into the bridge. Sort of a mix between Tom Delonges strat and the Stratosonic Dave the Rave is flogging on here at the moment. I decided to just go for one P90 as I can't be bothered to route room for one in the neck. However...
AosZUsLCEAAvQye.jpg
This wee bad boy is routed for pretty much any pickup configuration already. Wee bit surprised to see but its a cheeky bonus. However after a bit of thought I'm just going to stick to the one pickup at the moment. I'm going on the logic that If I end up longing for a neck pickup at least I won't need to make space in the body for it and It will be pretty straight forward to horse one in.

Paint job wise had me thinking the longest. I've spent the best part of three weeks sitting at my desk at lunch time pondering about it. In the end I decided to go for Flat Black. If it's good enough for Clapton and big Davie Gilmour it's good enough for me. As I touched on before my grandad has a shed that would put most DIY stores to shame and had 3 cans of black spray paint for outdoor woodwork and some lacquer. I sanded down areas that were badly bashed. As you can see in the picture above this guitar has taken a number of knocks over the years. I smoothed out the biggest bumps and horsed on with the painting.

AosZhc6CEAQWnNN.jpg

Now I'm having a beer in celebration and waiting for the paint to dry so I can crack on with another coat!