aberdeen-music

D.I.Y Guitar gear

Flights

• 3 months later...

So his strat project has gone on for a fair while. With moving house and the like it's been at the back of my mind of late. However it's going away to get wired tomorrow and I should hopefully get it back next week all set up and raring to go courtesy of davetherave.

It was completely taken apart for the move so over the last few days I've been putting everything back together again and caught the building bug. So I've begun drafting up my next project...

Project Telemaster.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3yYzaKvM_b2OCOAkXeoqMB5-I6QJ2jIzgTe9hyGpA_WqZbfkjBma4aWkL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrhoaJmitRzh8gAb3IiKfyJ-hpk6d6W2MUi1i0Bd2B61hDfv1Q5g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMPhwZdZBoYMg80OhToKzX30ZUWb1glXJl8vqsHlzTwtSYNKGUuA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmPPu5jAQ1XGJPglhZUvvoFoxL07yXGyTtnJHAV-nSd3p5byIpOQ

The plans so far are pretty sketchy.

Proposed colours are Lake Placid Blue, Surf Green, Black or Sonic Blue. I'd love a sunburst one but that may be beyond my limited finishing skills.

I'm going to follow the layout in the pictures above and only have the bridge pickup visible. I am however going to fit a stealthy neck pickup under the guard like a lot of esquire players do.

Pickups will probably be the Fender vintage noiseless ones.

Maple neck with a matching headstock depending on colour.

Can't wait to get started :D

• 4 weeks later...
Pretty sure a quick google search would pull you up what you're after. what kinda thing you hoping to make? A boss clone or something a bit more boutique-y?

I have found one site that just sells the printed circuit boards, so in theory I should be able to buy the components myself for cheaper than the "kits".

Looking at a Boss DS-1 Clone.

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=37

Aye, Looking at some build reports. if I use some of the mods they're suggesting and get it in a steel box I should ahve a nice wee number.

do it man! though keep it simple for the first project, something like a big muff PI is quite easy to clone. http://www.geofex.com/ has some great references if you've not found it already.

between maplin and ebay you should get all the bits you need.

Before you know it you'll be building crazy shit, currently I'm building an oscilloscope from a small CRT and shoe-horning it into my amp head. totally pointless but good fun!

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Time for a thread revival.

I won a strat body off ebay last Friday night. It should be here tomorrow. I was planning on just making another strat but I've decided to do something a little bit different after spending an evening looking at pictures of Fano and other guitars on the internet whilst the missus watched Made In Chelsea.

http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoMG6.html (probably base more on a mustang shape than a strat but you get the idea.)

The paint is going to be sonic blue or surf green. I'm undecided on this at the moment (although looking on the fano website that Pelham blue is lovely!).

I'm going to try and keep a build blog once I get going too.

• 3 weeks later...

Surf Green!

Been getting back into the DIY guitar shit recently, just built 2 FX boxes from here http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/bigfoot-fx-magnavibe.html

They sound awesome, and that magnavibe sells for $200 only from the US, saved myself a good few dollars there. I pulled an old tape player to bits for components, planning on putting an amp circuit in it and turning it into a little practice amp.