aberdeen-music

D.I.Y Guitar gear

Flights

Strange, the image I originally saw was not the one on the website now. You guys are right though that thing looks howling. I can't understand the top cavity either :S

You would need the top cavity to house the rhythm circuit, which I don't have on my Jazzmaster. It is routed for it though:

DSC01947.jpg

When you compare the two bodies, you can really see what is wrong with the first one.

• 3 weeks later...
I was going to start a new thread about these tone capacitor upgrades, but this seems as good a place as any. Has anyone tried them out? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-Pickup-Tone-upgrade-for-Les-Paul-PIO-kit-Mullard-Mustard-treble-bleed-/120929986692?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c27fd2884

Never heard of them before. The various comments in the feedback are positive. The postage seems really steep though. £4.99 to send a couple of caps?

Tempted to have a punt but the postage is putting me off.

Never heard of them before. The various comments in the feedback are positive. The postage seems really steep though. £4.99 to send a couple of caps?

Tempted to have a punt but the postage is putting me off.

they seem to be using the old trick of selling everything for 99p and putting all the costs in the P+P, some of their items are 12.99 P+P.

I was more wondering if I could expect a real difference from changing the tone cap, but I've been down to Maplin and bought a few cheap caps to make a chart after reading this article http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx My strat needs rewired anyway. I'll probably end up shelling out for the ebay ones as well. I'll post up here if they're any good.

Project Stratocaster is coming along nicely :) In the final stages now!

I'll post glossy photos tonight as I was in a bit of rush yesterday and forgot to upload the photos.

I abandoned my earlier idea of a single humbucking sized P90 set up and opted for a traditional strat configuration of 3 single coils from Kent Armstrong. Got them with closed covers, high output in the bridge and vintage voiced for the neck and middle. Lovely.

Paint wise I went with purple. God knows why, maybe I want to be Prince or something. I had a fair bit of paint left after giving the body a generous 4 coats so I painted the headstock too. I always fancied a guitar with a matching head stock so now I've got one. The head stock just needs a decal of some sort then a clear coating and I'm finished with the painting side of it! I've gone with a single ply white scratch plate with black controls and black pickup covers.

Then it'll will be on with the wiring. Probably the part of the project I'm most nervous about. I've soldered my fair share of guitar leads and input jacks but I've never wired up a whole guitar before. I've got a standard Fender 250 k wiring kit and it came with a pretty clear and straight forward wiring diagram. This eased my woes but any advice would be welcome!

Then all it will need is a wee setup and it will be good to go!

• Upvote 1

Project Stratocaster is coming along nicely :) In the final stages now!

I'll post glossy photos tonight as I was in a bit of rush yesterday and forgot to upload the photos.

I abandoned my earlier idea of a single humbucking sized P90 set up and opted for a traditional strat configuration of 3 single coils from Kent Armstrong. Got them with closed covers, high output in the bridge and vintage voiced for the neck and middle. Lovely.

Paint wise I went with purple. God knows why, maybe I want to be Prince or something. I had a fair bit of paint left after giving the body a generous 4 coats so I painted the headstock too. I always fancied a guitar with a matching head stock so now I've got one. The head stock just needs a decal of some sort then a clear coating and I'm finished with the painting side of it! I've gone with a single ply white scratch plate with black controls and black pickup covers.

Then it'll will be on with the wiring. Probably the part of the project I'm most nervous about. I've soldered my fair share of guitar leads and input jacks but I've never wired up a whole guitar before. I've got a standard Fender 250 k wiring kit and it came with a pretty clear and straight forward wiring diagram. This eased my woes but any advice would be welcome!

Then all it will need is a wee setup and it will be good to go!

get little a little nail file, like Emory board. and rub the connections on the pots and the backs of the pots where you would be soldering your earth. better connection. remember things like your bridge need to be earthed, so a wire to the spring clamp will sort this out.

this video is very helpfull

give me a shout if you need a hand or anything

• Upvote 1

get little a little nail file, like Emory board. and rub the connections on the pots and the backs of the pots where you would be soldering your earth. better connection. remember things like your bridge need to be earthed, so a wire to the spring clamp will sort this out.

give me a shout if you need a hand or anything

Cheers dude! Much appreciated!

Bah. I was looking forward to seeing your bastardized P90 Strat. Now it's just going to be a regular Strat? Not interested. I hope it explodes.

So was I but I like switching pickups too much to justify only having one. The next project will be a p90 affair I promise!