aberdeen-music

What happened to our scene?

-HH-

At the end of all that im not sitting here trying to be an old fart saying it was all better when i was younger, just in my opinion back then we had a good little collective scene, now we just have a lot of bands.

I dare say it, but the whole thread comes across as old farts moaning about how the scene was better back in the day. It is what you make of it.

Surely the scene has gotten better if King Prawn aren't packing out shows anymore?

There aren't many worse bands than King Prawn.

This is probably the most valid point made so far.

Guest Gladstone

Frosty/Adam, if someone was to ask you the same question now, which direction would you point them?

I think the point is that they won't know because they're old now. You'd need to go and ask a young "in the scene" guy who could point you to where the "scene" is at (if there is one of course)

• Upvote 1

I dare say it, but the whole thread comes across as old farts moaning about how the scene was better back in the day. It is what you make of it

This is probably the most valid point made so far.

Your probably right, and the fact i am a fraction as involved as i used to be will play a part in my opinion, but from my point of view i saw the start of the decline when i was still very heavily involved, it will most definitely have been tied into people growing up and moving on, but i still feel for about 10 years or so we had something very special up here, something we probably took for granted at the time.

They were great times. I gigged with regularity in Aberdeen between the start of 1999 and about the end of 2002 (and much less frequently beyond that) and the bands that have been mentioned did have a pretty tight-knit grouping that has given me a lot of friends who I still keep in touch with now. It was great playing at things like Reckoning Day at Lava or AUBLooza at the old Drakes, where you knew all of the bands on the bill and it was part gig, part catchup and mahoosive party.

As has been said tho, times are different now. We were just getting started with using the internet as an advertising tool, people didn't have access to the same options for home recording, the venues which existed were different, etc. As a result, bands (and people) behave differently now. Age is a major factor too. I used to think nothing about getting a lift from Laurencekirk to Aberdeen on a weeknight, playing a gig in the Pelican Club, getting home to bed at fuck knows what time and then going to school in the morning. Poke doing that now! Going to small gigs and hanging out at them isn't something I do any more, unless I really want to see the band. Before it was a social thing too, because I knew I'd have friends doing the same.

I'm glad to have been around and gigging when I was, because, as I say, it made me a lot of great friends and made me feel like I was a part of something special, which is an amazing feeling when you're 16. There were even times when I put on gigs in Laurencekirk, picked up the phone and got these awesome bands, who were my mates, to drive down on their own steam, play for fuck all and I know a few young people there who started playing instruments because of those gigs. De Barros, Quik, Liber8, Black Atom and FeSTR at the St Laurence Hall. Lots of happy memories :)

• Upvote 2

Old farts.haha

I'm 24 years old married and a Engineer yet I still go to shows and play in my band.

People have let this scene down, this site has let this scene down aswell. People here are so out of touch with current bands that their is no drive behind them.

Bands realised that most people on here, never went to gigs. Just loved the fight and to voice their opinion, so bands gave up on here.I had a look at feautured bands on here and it's so poor compared to what is actually out their.

• Upvote 1

Local Band Forums, nothing against the bands featured.

However, their are far more bands in Aberdeen doing their thing and nowhere to be seen on here.

Also, when I was younger Saturday morning was:

Bus into town with guitar on back, hanging on belmont st and top of st nicholas. Buying music from One Up, heading up to Toms for a jam then back into town.Home to drop of gear and then back into ton for the gig.

Their is no younger generation like that in Aberdeen!!!. I blame Justin Bieber!

However, their are far more bands in Aberdeen doing their thing and nowhere to be seen on here.

Bus into town with guitar on back, hanging on belmont st and top of st nicholas. Buying music from One Up, heading up to Toms for a jam then back into town.Home to drop of gear and then back into ton for the gig.

That sounds exactly like my Sunday, every Sunday. Apart from hanging out at St. Nicks, I'm not 14, I can go to a pub and drink.

And I go to as many local gigs as money/other plans will allow. Most of the time it's all the same people I see there. There's definitely still a scene.

But do you know that or are you just presuming so?

Im aware that their are obviously younger kids in bands, however where are they?

They don't get gigs, cause they probably don't have the newtwork we all had when we were younger.

They also don't come along to shows, so no idea what their doing.

Guest Gladstone

There probably is a younger generation like that now that you just don't know about!! You say you're only 24 and that is young in general terms normally, but there's no way a 16 year old would want to be hanging around with a 24 year old. That sounds weird and creepy - it's not meant to. 16 year olds just won't think a 24 year old is cool or hip or young enough to be hanging around with.

As for me, I'm 30 in 3 months, so I'm totally fucked.

I only joined the "scene" when I was about 23 so probably already far too uncool to pull that off. I thought I was cool, but I was almost definitely wrong...

• Upvote 1

Im aware that their are obviously younger kids in bands, however where are they?

They don't get gigs, cause they probably don't have the newtwork we all had when we were younger.

There are bands at school that play gigs locally - AGP certainly put on bands that are of school age. And shows are still 14+ for a reason...they do still go to shows; just perhaps not the ones you are also at?

Also, I know that this is unnecessary really, but 'their' is not a great go-to option. If you are unsure, check here: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're

Your probably right, and the fact i am a fraction as involved as i used to be will play a part in my opinion, but from my point of view i saw the start of the decline when i was still very heavily involved, it will most definitely have been tied into people growing up and moving on, but i still feel for about 10 years or so we had something very special up here, something we probably took for granted at the time.

That sounds like the epilogue to many coming of age stories. Stand by Me, Dazed and Confused ect

Possibly not the ones I'm at, I just don't see the hussle and bussle of younger bands that's all.

No kids walking about with gear and looking all "bandish" haha.

I'm still mates with guys I met in the scene and thier is about a 6 year age gap between us, but it didn't matter.

Have you not wandered past Drummonds on a weeknight and wondered what all the kids cluttering up Belmont Street, smoking Mayfairs and talking to their mates are up to?

• Upvote 1

This whole argument is fucking stupid.

You're not describing a "music scene" you're describing having a lot of mates. Mates who are in bands and who go to see your band and vice versa. Gigs full to capacity of 'friends of the band' don't happen as much any more because there are a thousand gigs a week on in town now and nobody can afford the £5 on the door and £4 a pint to go to them all. Generally speaking, a new band's first gig will fill the place with mates who then fuck off after their slot and leave the venue empty for the 'headliners'.

A music scene is a city full of venues where you can go and see a band of any genre you fancy on a regular basis if you're so inclined. There's a really active metal/hardcore scene up here and a pretty good indie scene. There's a fairly strong but rapidly dwindling pop/punk scene as the pop-punk kids are growing into hardcore kids. A music scene is NOT a party at a band's house after the gig for everyone who attended because they all went to school together.

New Noise/Korova is where all that shit happens now. Nothing has changed, you're just not a part of it any more and in 10 years time the current clique of bands will be the 'old boys' talking of how their scene died a death when the next wave of kids pick up guitars.

xx

• Upvote 2