aberdeen-music

Kilau Christmas 6

Old Gold

Got my first listen. Think its cracking. Les Pelicans, Jim Ewen and Mondragon the highlights for me. Oh, and Causey Mounth as well. Any song capable of incorporating haud yer wheesht into the lyrics deserves significant plaudits.

Cheers! I can't really take the plaudits for that though as it's a cover (a Violet Jacob poem originally set to music by Jim Reid if anyone's interested). Although I do have an original song which also uses the word wheesht.

Still haven't had a listening opportunity yet (family things).....I'm assuming that Chris's song is 'The wild geese'? If so, I also did a version, for my new cdr, 'Ampometer', as it was my dad's favourite song. I did it as a tribute to him, as he died recently. Once surprised him by taking him to a Jim Reid gig in Stonehaven many years ago.

Still haven't had a listening opportunity yet (family things).....I'm assuming that Chris's song is 'The wild geese'? If so, I also did a version, for my new cdr, 'Ampometer', as it was my dad's favourite song. I did it as a tribute to him, as he died recently. Once surprised him by taking him to a Jim Reid gig in Stonehaven many years ago.

It is indeed. Heard joe aitken song it at the folk festival this year and thought it was a lovely tune.

Old Gold, is the CD available in the Old Aberdeen Kilau yet? Unless it's already sold out, that is! Also, is it getting played in the Little Belmont St. Kilau?

I think I'll put the next batch into Old Aberdeen Kilau, seeing as there's plenty at the Little Belmont Street shop now.

I don't know if they're playing it in the shop. You're probably more likely to hear Pearl Jam, David Bowie and Lightning Bolt on alternating rotation.

I think I'll put the next batch into Old Aberdeen Kilau, seeing as there's plenty at the Little Belmont Street shop now.

I don't know if they're playing it in the shop. You're probably more likely to hear Pearl Jam, David Bowie and Lightning Bolt on alternating rotation.

They played it last year, I think :)

Hokay, there's about 20 of these left at the Little Belmont Street Kilau.

I had hoped to produce another batch, but unfortunately I was surprised with a trip offshore for a couple of weeks tomorrow. D'oh. Go get 'em while they're Christmassy.

Hope everyone's been enjoying them! Sounds like they've been selling really well.

I appreciate Alan violently divides opinion:- “the cat can’t swing” (jazz weekly), “That jumper should simply not be seen on stage” (new york vogue), “NE musical legend spellbinds ecstatic audience with children’s xylophone” (P&J), “If I hear one more tune about a dead Edwardian person or grave yard I’m going to kill meself” Oxbow gazette, etc. but I love his 2 tunes especially the ‘dark’ cynics one. On first listening I’d have to also go for Slyder divider (name?) and joe’s (new version??) track December (much improved vocal, great song). But all very good. Seas starry, pelicans too. Cheers for great covers/design.