aberdeen-music

Lucky Rathen considers himself British first and Scottish second

Oedo 808

Once you get past Alford, the term for English people is "white settler" which is fucking daft.

There are people that actually use that term? In all seriousness?

I'm happy to be called British or Scottish. But I find myself saying Scotland more often than Britain when asked where I'm from.

I think that's partly because I think people assume I'm from England if I say Britain.

I consider myself Scottish, I'm proud to be Scottish and feel an identity with this country that I don't have with the rest of Britain.

I'm no nationalist, though. Happy to say I'm British on forms etc, I just feel more Scottish than British. Like people said, a lot of it is about culture. I feel almost as much in common with people from New Zealand than from England.

Guest davetherave

On forms I write Welsh in big red crayon (born and raised in the valleys, where men are men and sheep are nervous) :) I've lived here for the last 15 years, when I'm overseas if people ask where I'm from I reply Scotland, UK. But if anyone in Scotland asks where I'm from I'll reply Wales (the accent is a bit of a give away, "lovely then isnt it" :)

I lived and worked in englandshire (bristol) for quite a few years, but I never considered myself english? Anyone else had the same feelings when moving about?

There are people that actually use that term? In all seriousness?

Yes, I've heard locals who proudly state that their family has lived in a certain area for the last 6 generations and refer to any English as white settlers. It's just daft.

But these are in places like (S)Lumsden and Rhynie, not particularly nice areas.

I lived and worked in englandshire (bristol) for quite a few years, but I never considered myself english? Anyone else had the same feelings when moving about?

I certainly don't feel Scottish despite living here for over 3 years. It's just a place to live. Definitely won't be living here forever either. Hopefully not longer than another couple of years, or at least until there's more jobs available down south. The English job market has been dried up for a while.

I certainly don't feel Scottish despite living here for over 3 years. It's just a place to live. Definitely won't be living here forever either. Hopefully not longer than another couple of years, or at least until there's more jobs available down south. The English job market has been dried up for a while.

You guys must be immune to your new environment.

After only 2 months of living here I found myself to be hairier, better at football, unable to work in the middle of the day, knowledgeable of wine, more shouty and generally lazier and more macho. After 2 and a bit years I'm about as Spanish as they come.