aberdeen-music

Tell me what you need...

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Anothery semi-hypothetical question...

Is there any service you think is completely missing from your life that you would happily pay money for?

I'm not going to lie, I'm trying to think up an idea for a business. I'm a bit bored of office life and trying to think up a way that I could pay the bills without having to get up and drive through fucking rush hour traffic and sit in an office all day...

I've been trying to think of this idea for probably about 5 years now. I've tried a few out but they ultimately haven't worked. All the "magic" ideas I've had tend to either be too expensive to start out with or I don't have the necessary skills...

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts. Don't share them if it's an idea you think you'll progress yourself though obviously!!!!

Cheers

A vegetarian/vegan restaurant would be a success, as many people before have mentioned.

I would also pay good money for high quality Acid. Drugs, not like, industrial solvents.

As I've outlined in the "what would you invent" thead, a turbo fridge. I hate coming home from the supermarket, and having to wait a good few hours for my juice/booze to be chilled to how I like it. Putting it in the freezer for half an hour usually works, but I don't have that as an option, as I don't have a freezer in my current flat. So, if someone could invent a Turbo Fridge, since I can't, that would be swell. In my head, it looks like a microwave, but works the opposite way. Is there an opposite to microwave energy? I don't know.

As I've outlined in the "what would you invent" thead, a turbo fridge. I hate coming home from the supermarket, and having to wait a good few hours for my juice/booze to be chilled to how I like it. Putting it in the freezer for half an hour usually works, but I don't have that as an option, as I don't have a freezer in my current flat. So, if someone could invent a Turbo Fridge, since I can't, that would be swell. In my head, it looks like a microwave, but works the opposite way. Is there an opposite to microwave energy? I don't know.

Macrowave ???

Guest Gladstone
A takeaway / delivery that does fresh, nutritious, good wholesome food. I get takeaways a lot when I can't be arsed cooking, and the only options are really fatty stuff like Chinese / pizza / chipper etc.

That's a good idea. I like that one. Do McDonalds salads not cut it...?

A takeaway / delivery that does fresh, nutritious, good wholesome food. I get takeaways a lot when I can't be arsed cooking, and the only options are really fatty stuff like Chinese / pizza / chipper etc.
A vegetarian/vegan restaurant would be a success, as many people before have mentioned.

If you're gonna do one of these, IMHO you'd be a fool not to do both.

xx

That's a good idea. I like that one. Do McDonalds salads not cut it...?

Ha ha. No! I don't really mean like health food and stuff, I just mean tasty, freshly cooked food. Like ya know, if there was a takeaway that did grilled salmon with lemon & herb butter, dauphinoise potatoes and veg on the side, I'd go to that takeaway more often than I'd go to the Ashvale. Or a nice gammon.

Guest Gladstone
Ha ha. No! I don't really mean like health food and stuff, I just mean tasty, freshly cooked food. Like ya know, if there was a takeaway that did grilled salmon with lemon & herb butter, dauphinoise potatoes and veg on the side, I'd go to that takeaway more often than I'd go to the Ashvale. Or a nice gammon.

It's a good idea. I'm trying to work out why nobody else does it...

This plus propa sandwiches and vegan food. Veggie options. Proper coffee. But with salads and health food. And fresh cakes. Get an instore baker on the go. All that + cheaper than starbucks is a winner.

It's a good idea. I'm trying to work out why nobody else does it...

Me and my mate spoke about it years ago as a potential business venture. I think it has potential, provided the food is good.

"Hello, *insert name* takeaway"

"Hello, I'd like to order the roast beef please, with boiled potatoes, 2 yorkshire puddings, and a medley of cauliflower, carrot and parsnip on the side".

"OK sir. Would you like gravy with that?"

"Yes please".

"OK that'll be with you in thirty minutes"

That's my fantasy right there. Dial-a-roast.

Guesswork here, but I'd say a reason that no one does it is because fresh = expensive and freshly cooked = slow.

A roast dinner in half an hour is a big ask IMO considering that a takeaway pizza can take that long...

On top of that, with the likes of the 'dine in for two for 10' offers from markies where you just buy a box of food and throw it in the oven, I think it'd be hard to compete on price.

xx

A restaurant-style barbeque/grill place where you buy the meat/veg (on the premises) and cook it at the table yourself. I'm thinking circular tables with a BBQ style thing with hot coals or similar in the middle.

Totally unsure if that's feasible or how it sits with H&S legislation but it would be fucking cool, and probably quite popular if it was priced reasonably enough (I guess staffing costs would be relatively low and you would make the bulk of your cash off drinks I would imagine).

Guest Gladstone
A restaurant-style barbeque/grill place where you buy the meat/veg (on the premises) and cook it at the table yourself. I'm thinking circular tables with a BBQ style thing with hot coals or similar in the middle.

Totally unsure if that's feasible or how it sits with H&S legislation but it would be fucking cool, and probably quite popular if it was priced reasonably enough (I guess staffing costs would be relatively low and you would make the bulk of your cash off drinks I would imagine).

That's a cool idea, but I think insurance costs would kill it. Letting people cook on your premises with no "training" probably requires massive insurance premiums. The world is shit like that...!

I don't think that would be allowed, firstly because you'd have the risk of people burning themselves, secondly, if the food wasn't cooked properly and they got food poisoning, you'd get the blame cos it was on your premises (I think).

I'd love to see somewhere that did a wheat-free, yeast-free, gluten-free meal option. Rice flour cakes a delicious, and the Free From range is getting bigger all the time. I know some places have a gluten-free option but for people with other allergies, eating out is a nightmare.

Just throw it in some liquid nitrogen. It's all the rage these days (go to bbc iplayer and watch the latest masterchef, they're making sorbets and ice creams in minutes with liquid nitrogen.

For even more rapid cooling, grab a periodic table and find a gas with a lower boiling point then get it in liquid form. Simples.

Alternatively, in med sci labs, we have -80 freezers. if you don't wear gloves will picking stuff up, your skin literally sticks to objects and rips off. Now imagine alcohol that cold!

As for ideas for a business..... how about a cafe/restaurant with themed music? i work in a cafe where we control the music, but obviously I'm limited with what I can play (I don't think metal would go down well with the average caf clientele). I'm not suggesting play the same music every night (as most of the chain restaurants have one theme which they stick to all year round), but have post rock one night, rock another, pop etc etc. Could maybe even try matching menus and drinks to music.