aberdeen-music

Favourite War Films?

Guest idol_wild

Das Boot (essential viewing)

Definitely, I'll have to come back to it for the uncut version some day but four hours of film in German with subtitles (dubbing is for bitches) takes u-boat grit to watch.

I also rate Full Metal Jacket, Doctor Strangelove and Catch 22.

I'm trying really hard to remember the names of two vietnam films I saw which I thought were excellent. One is about an American troop/plattoon/whatever and one of the guys is responsible for filming footage of the soldiers. I think it has 'charlie' in the name.

The other one is the war seen from the vietcong perspective. I seem to remember it had an element of the paranormal and involved soldiers on an island.

fuck, my memory is bad.

Was the first one 84 Charlie MoPic? 84C MoPic (1989) - IMDb

• Upvote 1

Guns of Navarone

Battle of Britain

633 Squaron

Crual Sea (or any other B&W war movie about the sae)

Enemy at the gate

Loads really. Funny enough as I get on a bit, I start to see them not only all about the action, but the sadness behind the actual things they protray.

Pianist is a great suggestion.:up:

Guest idol_wild
Loads really. Funny enough as I get on a bit, I start to see them not only all about the action, but the sadness behind the actual things they protray.

Pianist is a great suggestion.:up:

Absolutely. As equally exciting and harrowing as the combat scenes are, the psychology, reaction, and torment within an individual or a group of people as a result of exposure to war fascinates me. A good war film covers both aspects for me, and usually doesn't discriminate too much against either fighting side of the war. :up:

I love interviews with veterans too, hearing their own individual feelings and accounts of events and situations they had to endure, and how they were feeling and how they feel about it in later life.