aberdeen-music

The food court in the bon accord center is closing

cool1

vegan/vegetarian restaurants are ace. some of my favourite places to eat in glasgow have vegan menus and there's no shortage of amazing eats to choose from in them. it's nothing to do with hipsters either, just choice.

i've said for years that aberdeen could use a proper vegetarian place cause sometimes you just want a bit more choice.

vegan/vegetarian restaurants are ace. some of my favourite places to eat in glasgow have vegan menus and there's no shortage of amazing eats to choose from in them. it's nothing to do with hipsters either, just choice.

i've said for years that aberdeen could use a proper vegetarian place cause sometimes you just want a bit more choice.

I've always felt that there is a reasonable amount of choice in terms of vegetarian options in restaurants in Aberdeen. I'm not so sure about Vegan, but given how much of a minority Vegans are in the UK i'm not surprised there isn't a dedicated Vegan restaurant in Aberdeen.

Guess it's one of those things that may improve over time as attitudes change but i'm pretty sure it won't happen in any great proportion.

I've always felt that there is a reasonable amount of choice in terms of vegetarian options in restaurants in Aberdeen. I'm not so sure about Vegan, but given how much of a minority Vegans are in the UK i'm not surprised there isn't a dedicated Vegan restaurant in Aberdeen.

Guess it's one of those things that may improve over time as attitudes change but i'm pretty sure it won't happen in any great proportion.

but you don't have to be vegan to eat in a vegan restaurant. it's potential demographic is anyone who eats in restaurants, for example there isn't a huge amount of japanese people in aberdeen yet we had 4 sushi places on the go. i'm sure we can accomodate one restaurant serving vegan food.

somewhere like mono/stereo/the 78 would be ace in aberdeen.

I've always felt that there is a reasonable amount of choice in terms of vegetarian options in restaurants in Aberdeen.

There isn't. Mac and cheese isn't a veggie option, nine times out of ten it'd be on the menu regardless. I think restaurants are obligated to have a veggie option on their menu nowadays or am I wrong?

A veggie restaurant would do pretty well in Aberdeen I reckon. Anything that does good, honest food seems to do well here. Look at how many sandwich shops there are, for example.

but you don't have to be vegan to eat in a vegan restaurant. it's potential demographic is anyone who eats in restaurants, for example there isn't a huge amount of japanese people in aberdeen yet we had 4 sushi places on the go. i'm sure we can accomodate one restaurant serving vegan food.

somewhere like mono/stereo/the 78 would be ace in aberdeen.

Totally, but there would be seriously limited appeal. I'm open to experiencing something like that but i fear it would be a very small business with little scope other than feeding the interest of a select few and as such it would probably have an air of snobbery attached to it that would put someone like myself off going.

There isn't. Mac and cheese isn't a veggie option, nine times out of ten it'd be on the menu regardless. I think restaurants are obligated to have a veggie option on their menu nowadays or am I wrong?

A veggie restaurant would do pretty well in Aberdeen I reckon. Anything that does good, honest food seems to do well here. Look at how many sandwich shops there are, for example.

Most of the large, proper restaurants in Aberdeen offer on average around 3 vegetarian mains and a number of vegitarian starters. I've just had a quick scan of all the usual suspects and i think that, once again, for a minority the choice is pretty much what's to be expected. It doesn't make business sense to buy in food that just isn't going to be eaten.

Yes, yes you were. Albeit Hipster food.

Just arguing for the sake of it? Sounds fun m8

Pettiness aside, I'm not sure the idea that it'd JUST be vegetarians/vegans going is a particularly clever one. Decent meat replacements, a good range of world foods (in comparison to most restaurants, I imagine a relatively large vegetarian/vegan place would be more likely to use a wider range of rices/seeds etc?) and a much healthier choice for the calorie counters etc?

God, mention the word 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' here and you're pushing an agenda, being a massive lefty, a hipster and whatever else. It's just a different way of eating. Certainly more worthwhile than a fucking Hooters.

• Upvote 1

Totally, but there would be seriously limited appeal. I'm open to experiencing something like that but i fear it would be a very small business with little scope other than feeding the interest of a select few and as such it would probably have an air of snobbery attached to it that would put someone like myself off going.

I don't know, I'm a big fan of some of the Glasgow vegan places already mentioned, and pretty much everyone else I know who enjoy eating there aren't vegan either. A wee place the size of The 78 with a similar high quality of food, drinks and atmosphere wouldn't struggle as a niche business.

I don't know, I'm a big fan of some of the Glasgow vegan places already mentioned, and pretty much everyone else I know who enjoy eating there aren't vegan either. A wee place the size of The 78 with a similar high quality of food, drinks and atmosphere wouldn't struggle as a niche business.

their chips are awesome. great beers too. that's like my two favourite things right there :love:.

Telling a hipster, who denies being a hipster, that he is a hipster, is also a very hipster thing to do.

What's a hipster? Are they the same as people who call themselves "scene" ?

A total cunt going by the fact that some folk seem so egotistical as to actually believe themselves to be one.

Or alternatively, a complete sheep who cannot think for themselves and have to worry that what they listen to, watch, eat or wear is seen as 'not cool' in that peculiar alternative world. It seems strange to me that these people have a uniform that makes them completely unindividual...maybe they are just lonely and need to feel they belong.

Just arguing for the sake of it? Sounds fun m8

Pettiness aside, I'm not sure the idea that it'd JUST be vegetarians/vegans going is a particularly clever one. Decent meat replacements, a good range of world foods (in comparison to most restaurants, I imagine a relatively large vegetarian/vegan place would be more likely to use a wider range of rices/seeds etc?) and a much healthier choice for the calorie counters etc?

God, mention the word 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' here and you're pushing an agenda, being a massive lefty, a hipster and whatever else. It's just a different way of eating. Certainly more worthwhile than a fucking Hooters.

Nah, just having a wee joke with you.

There is no such thing as a decent meat replacement in my opinion. A large proportion of the population want to eat meat when they go to a restaurant or at least have the option to, so a wholly Vegan/Vegetarian menu wouldn't work in a large place. Maybe in a small venue like the ones that have been discussed. Maybe a restaurant until 11pm then a music venue after. Two birds, one stone.

I don't think anyone's been accused of being any of the above in all seriousness. People seem to have a massive objection to alternative viewpoints on here and the discussions that result from them. I think most of us in this discussion have delivered decent opinions without being patronising.

I agree there's no such thing as decent meat replacement. But I'd go eat in a vegan restaurant. The best veggie dishes are ones that were never intended to have meat in them in the first place and there's a huge range of food out there that you could serve in such a place without resorting to fake sausages.

I agree there's no such thing as decent meat replacement. But I'd go eat in a vegan restaurant. The best veggie dishes are ones that were never intended to have meat in them in the first place and there's a huge range of food out there that you could serve in such a place without resorting to fake sausages.

Exactly. I was vegan for years (back before it was cool [/hipster]) and if you want a 'veggie option' that is just a meat based meal with the meat removed or replaced then go for a pub supper. There are so many vegetarian dishes out there that are absolutely brilliant, I'd happily eat in a veg restaurant both because it's healthier and (most importantly) it'd be really good for something different when you fancy a change.

xx