aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

I was gonna start a separate thread but thought i'd just ask here:

What are some good instrumental albums? I like listening to music when I'm reading or writing, but find that vocals sort of get in the way. Genre isn't really an issue, so all suggestions are welcome.

Cheells min!

I'm the same when reading or writing so also welcome recommendations. My current writing playlist consists of whole albums. It's got some stuff without lyrics, but the stuff that isn't instrumental isn't very obtrusive, so I find it easy to write to. If you fancy giving it a go, it's here, and I'm constantly adding to it: Playlist by kirstenin - Spotify

Errors are on there despite the fact that I'm now so familiar with the tunes that even they can be a little bit distracting when I start humming along. My excuse for Sebastien Tellier is that it's mainly in French, so I don't understand it, so can't really be distracted by the meaning of the lyrics. :up:

The ones I mentioned earlier in the thread by Rachel Grimes and Dustin O'Halloran might do the trick. I also find these good to work to:

Emeralds "Does it look like I'm here"

Does It Look Like I'm Here? - Emeralds - Spotify

Oneohtrix Point Never "Returnal"

Returnal - Oneohtrix Point Never - Spotify

Arp "The Soft Wave"

The Soft Wave - ARP - Spotify

What are some good instrumental albums? I like listening to music when I'm reading or writing, but find that vocals sort of get in the way. Genre isn't really an issue, so all suggestions are welcome.

Cheells min!

I would recommend the Dirty Three, perhaps "Ocean Songs" or "She has no Strings Apollo." My favourite is "Live at Meredith!", but I doubt that'll be on Spotify.

"Ambient 1/Music for Airports" by Brian Eno is quite fantastic too, great as background music.

Stars of the Lid ~ And Their Refinement of the Decline is a great ambient record. It is a really soothing record, and possibly one of the best live bands I've seen, and this from a band who make such unobtrusive music.

Grails ~ Burning off Impurities is also very good guitar based music, with a strong influence of indian music.

Port-Royal ~ Afraid to Dance may not be on Spotify, but hunt it out. They are quite ambient too, but have quite upbeat, almost dancey moments too. Hella good when they played Peacocks last year.

Olafur Arnalds ~ Found Songs is a seven instrumental laments I suppose. Perhaps a bit too downbeat for some, but I think it's a great record. I doubt that I could ever get tired of Ljsi

I would recommend the Dirty Three, perhaps "Ocean Songs" or "She has no Strings Apollo." My favourite is "Live at Meredith!", but I doubt that'll be on Spotify.

"Ambient 1/Music for Airports" by Brian Eno is quite fantastic too, great as background music.

Stars of the Lid ~ And Their Refinement of the Decline is a great ambient record. It is a really soothing record, and possibly one of the best live bands I've seen, and this from a band who make such unobtrusive music.

Grails ~ Burning off Impurities is also very good guitar based music, with a strong influence of indian music.

Port-Royal ~ Afraid to Dance may not be on Spotify, but hunt it out. They are quite ambient too, but have quite upbeat, almost dancey moments too. Hella good when they played Peacocks last year.

Olafur Arnalds ~ Found Songs is a seven instrumental laments I suppose. Perhaps a bit too downbeat for some, but I think it's a great record. I doubt that I could ever get tired of Ljsi.

Ocean Songs - Dirty Three - Spotify

Ambient 1/Music For Airports - Brian Eno - Spotify

Take Refuge In Clean Living - Grails - Spotify burning off impurities isn't on spotify :(

Found Songs - lafur Arnalds - Spotify

no port-royal(there was a remix album) or stars of the lid on spotify

• Upvote 1

Cheells min!

Everything Don Caballero did apart from the last two albums (funnily enough, those are thw only two albums on Spotify. Avoid like piss in a pool. Completely different band. Only the drummer remains from the original line up)

The You Slut! record I posted on the first page is also instrumental, but silly as fuck.

I also love The Fucking Champs. Instrumental triumphant guitar harmonies. Nerdy as fuck.

The Loge - The Fucking Champs - Spotify

If you ignore the name and treat them as a seperate band the last two Don cab albums are ok, though it is hard to get past them being basically a tribute band.

I really can't stand World Class Listening Problem, but Punkgasm (horrid title!) does have some great songs on it that sound a little bit like the stuff from For Respect, which is my favourite Don Cab record. There's plenty of guff on it too though.

I really can't stand World Class Listening Problem, but Punkgasm (horrid title!) does have some great songs on it that sound a little bit like the stuff from For Respect, which is my favourite Don Cab record. There's plenty of guff on it too though.

aye punkgasm is about the worst title possible, it sounds like a really shit late 90s pop punk compilation.

in other recommendations, after seeing him support vessels last night i've been listening to the stuart warwick album all day: The Ordeal - Stuart Warwick - Spotify

it's really really lovely.

Totally disagree over World Class Listening Problem. While it's not as good as American Don/What Burns Never Returns, when I thought Ian Williams was at his best = Don Cab at their best, I think it has some great songs and is a really solid album. Sounds dead meaty, the bass/drums in particular, and most of the riffs are ace.

I get where Dave is coming from with it being a different band - they needed two guitar players from then WCLP on, at least live, to make it sound right - but I wouldn't say the two versions of Don Cab sound similar, except the drumming, and even then this is slightly different because of the change in guitars.

I never really liked much of Punkgasm and was put off by the tracks with vocals (and Damon Che on guitar instead of drums...). Might go back to it.

There was a really interesting interview with Steve Albini years ago about Don Cab and the in-band disagreements/mad musical abilities. Going to try and find it again.

Bored this morning I made a playlist on spotify which I thought I'd share. (assuming this link works and people don't have to be "friends" on spotify to listen to it.

Playlist by aberdeenjames - Spotify

Remembering back to the wasteland's mixtape exchange, I thought that something similar could be done with spotify playlists. If people were interested. Everyone could listen to one mix from another user each week or something. Then review it and say how shit it was etc etc

Since nobody else has, and I'm bored:

Playlist by kklax - Spotify

did you know you can make collaborative playlists on spotify? I'm not sure how it works but i've set one up for Aberdeen Music, can someone have a go at adding stuff to it then we can maybe create a giant aberdeen music mixtape. I'd suggest maybe just adding one song at a time to start with: Playlist by daveofficer - Spotify

if it works out ok then maybe a mod can stick a link to it in the first post of this thread with a wee explanation :)

• Upvote 2