aberdeen-music

HMV to close?

Lemonade

I work in HMV Aberdeen. We are NOT closing. The media is exaggerating the whole thing! HMV was and isla profitable company, just not as much as they would have hoped. We are also one of the top stores in the UK, we ain't going anywhere fast.

Also, staff are treated really well in my opinion. Its the best job I've ever had and I've had a few!

Of the 60 stores most are temporary stores some Waterstones. HMV will still have 200+ stores in the UK. Oh and xmas was fecking mobbed! Rarely a dull moment in December so not sure when the guy on the first page was in!

That was Calum. Once you've been posting here for a while you'll soon learn to do the internet equivalent of "smile and nod" when he's around.

Guest Gladstone
That was Calum. Once you've been posting here for a while you'll soon learn to do the internet equivalent of "smile and nod" when he's around.

You get funnier every time I come back on here Lucky ;)

To be fair, I was only in HMV once in December, think it was the Sunday before Xmas - in fact, it definitely was.

I'm used to having to stand in a fucking long queue in HMV during busy seasons, but the place was strangely quiet, especially upstairs. I wandered in, had a wee stroll around the DVD section, picked up a DVD and walked straight up to the counter and got served by one of the 4 cashiers (none of whom was serving anyone else!).

It was perhaps just a quiet five minutes in an otherwise busy day...

I know they hired the accountants but it's not as bad as it all sounds, certainly not administration bound. They NEED to make changes and if they don't, they might well close down, but I can only imagine changes will happen. I hope so.

@ Gladstone, chances are it was just an oddly quiet period. I would have been working that day actually.

It would be really sad if they close. For a start, I lose my job! Secondly, there isn't really anywhere else for DVD's and music. Tesco and Asda maybe, but they are usually miles away from civilisation! 1up don't have everything (neither do HMV I know). Nothing like a good browse in the DVD section and spotting a film you forgot about and buying it for a fiver. You can't really do that online, it's hard to look at 100's of DVD's and spot random ones you want. You need a bit more purpose online, you gotta be looking for a specific thing most of the time. Unless you spend 5 hours on amazon. Fair enough you can get games at GAME but they're in trouble too!

My gramophone's made by HMV. Sold by Bruce Millers around about 1912. Recently had a bit of wear and tear to the needle frame. Don't suppose you could help? Seeing as you need the business and all.

Everyone seems to be saying that these days.

Not one has said why...

Well, they'll go the ways of woolies if they don't. Things aren't that bad yet but consumers are tapped out, downsizing retail overcapacity, especially where store duplication can be found, is the way to survive.

This seems logical, we had a huge consumer boom and it was unsustainable, now there's overcapacity that needs to be removed.

There's plenty money going around, it's just being spent unwisely.

These cuts do not NEED to be made, it's a political choice.

Oh you mean the coalition cuts? Well, we could probably kick the can down the road for another decade, bar further crises, but then we'd have difficulty funding anything public after that. Japan is just about there and I find it disturbing how complacent they are.

But I'm pretty sick of all the partisan splitting of hairs and propaganda, tbh. I can easily see the government back down on the pace of the cuts if debt-deflation takes hold again.

I'll buy the odd dvd or cd from there when I'm in town. I try to support 1UP but when push comes to shove and I'm in town with little money I go to HMV. I often buy stuff from Waterstones too. And I go online. I'll be sad to see it go. Unless a FOPP magically appears somewhere. That would be pretty decent.

FOPP is owned by HMV

Guest idol_wild
FOPP is owned by HMV

I'm not sure that's relevant?

There are remarkable differences between Fopp and HMV. By that, I mean that Fopp is fucking great in comparison to HMV.