aberdeen-music

Aberdeen's 'Granite City' quarry goes on sale

Free Korps

Yeah, it seems that it doesn't actually have any drainage so won't it eventually flood?

Stu that place is quickly filling up,i remember going back to see it at various times and in the last 10 years it has shown a marked difference!

Hmmm, sounds like a good time for the owner to try to offload it on a sucka.

Perhaps the council will buy it back :up:

The council sold it off because they thought it was just a hill and worthless,then it gave up millions of tonnes of high quality granite!

The council sold it off because they thought it was just a hill and worthless,then it gave up millions of tonnes of high quality granite!

LOL. And now it's worthless and a possible flood hazard, they'll be sure to pile in millions in funding for an exciting new watersports facility! :down:

LOL. And now it's worthless and a possible flood hazard, they'll be sure to pile in millions in funding for an exciting new watersports facility! :down:

They will have to cut the blondin that stretches across it first...congrats on the rusty sheriffs badge! hahaha

There's a place just on the outskirts of Edinburgh at Ratho where they built a massive climbing centre and it's built up against the side of a natural rock face so it offers both indoor artificial climbing and indoor climbing on actual rock. There are, however a few drawbacks to this plan, with the first being that the Ratho climbing centre is not far from unused and therefore is just a massive drain on resources and the other being that Ratho isn't under about a mile of water :D

There's a place just on the outskirts of Edinburgh at Ratho where they built a massive climbing centre and it's built up against the side of a natural rock face so it offers both indoor artificial climbing and indoor climbing on actual rock. There are, however a few drawbacks to this plan, with the first being that the Ratho climbing centre is not far from unused and therefore is just a massive drain on resources and the other being that Ratho isn't under about a mile of water :D

Yeah,they are talking about draining it.Fuck me what an engineering challenge that would be eh?Millions of cubic feet of water....mmmmm could be a great source of fresh water,anyone fancy chipping in,30000 worth of mineral water?

They make most of there money from conference rooms. The climbing just seems to be there to provide interesting views out of there meeting room windows.

I was there for a conference a few years ago.

The Ratho one is a truly amazing, but I would guess it does need a fair amount of subsidy. That's not unusual, even a small public swimming pool usually needs to be subsidised by the council.

My great-grandad worked there (in fact my family stayed in the 'quarry' flats in Ord Street, when there were no other buildings around the area), and my old man used to work next door to the quarry in the 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s. He took me along now & again to watch the diggers in action...they looked just like matchbox toys...it was a pretty scary experience.

Maybe it could be a fish-farm (do you get fish who live in radioactive rain-water which are edible?).

Failing that, Stewart Milne will probably buy it and moor 'luxury' houseboats on it which will possibly capsize if more than 10 people are on board at the same time.

Or, if the 'right to die' thing is passed, maybe it could be utilised for a mass-drowning of pensioners. The ceremony could be watched and enjoyed by thousands. And before you accuse me of being cruel, I'd drug or stun the oldies first :up:

In fact I'd volunteer for the first batch.

Or, if the 'right to die' thing is passed, maybe it could be utilised for a mass-drowning of pensioners. The ceremony could be watched and enjoyed by thousands. And before you accuse me of being cruel, I'd drug or stun the oldies first.

Very Monty Python-esque - "Bring out yer dead!".

The only problem being if it does overflow, a lot of decaying corpses might be washed up around the Queen's Road area, which would cause a bit of displeasure amongst the locals. Of course they could be weighted down with granite blocks, which would be rather fitting (the corpses, not the locals).

Another use might be for the world stone-skimming championships. We could maybe even enter an Abdn-Music team......of course, I'd be the skipper!