aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

(without researching so excuse ignorance if this is totally irrelavent)

do you reckon the heat/humidity will be a factor at all?

or with the technology in shirts like Under Armour I suppose it can be combated?

i guess any scholes like complexions may feel it?!

On the contrary. It will be winter in South Africa during the world cup so the weather will be mild compared to a world cup held in Spain or Italy during the northen hemispheres summer. The conditions should favour England for example...

It'll be winter time in South Africa, conditions will be ideal for northern european nations. Fantastic.

Hargreaves will have to get fit and displace Carrick/Fletcher from the Man Utd team before he gets a look-in for the England squad. Barry instead of Carrick from Euan's proposed line-up and I'm happy. Maybe Upson instead of Ferdinand because I don't trust Rio to not do stupid things.

Guest Gladstone

So EVERYTHING appears to be in England's favour?

I like that.

That means they'll royally fuck it up (hopefully).

I do deep down hope they win the whole thing, but I just don't know if I could cope with an entire World Cup, all the way to the final with English commentators wanking about how good England are, and then if they win it, they'll have something to actually back it up with, and my years of arguing that England are nowhere near as good as the commentators/media make them out to be will be instantly wrong.

I don't like being wrong.

To be honest, I still don't think England will be good enough to win it this year. They have a very good team, yes. Good players, yes. Great manager, yes, and the best manager they've had for many a year. I still don't think Capello will be able to stop some of the big names in his team being complete dicks though. I think the mentality of some of the big names in the England squad is another factor to them under-achieving. Guys like Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, John Terry, etc believing their hype, and believing that the much uttered phrase "the EPL is the best league in the world" translates directly as "England are the best team in the world and I'm the best [left back] in the world" when the EPL being up there with the best leagues in the world has got a massive amount to do with all the top class foreign players that play in the league.

I reckon that pairing would get more goals than a partnership involving Rooney. Am I mad?

Like so:

Green (GK)

Johnson (RB) Terry (CB) Ferdinand (CB) A. Cole (LB)

Carrick (DM)

Lampard (CM) Gerrard (CM)

Rooney (AM)

Bent (ST) Defoe (ST)

The diamond, baby.

We need width from natural wingers. I like the diamond, but I don't think England have a strong enough forward line to rely on it. Joe Cole and the likes can do as many stepovers and lollipop sticks as they like, but the truth is, we still play football like it's the 60's. Hoof it long. Poke it around a bit. Run to the byline. Cross it in and hope for the best. Especially with Rooney leading the line and his lack of positional discipline, through balls and direct play isn't going to suit him as much as passing it to Walcott or Lennon and just hoofing it in.

Rooney just needs to be impleneted as an attacking midfielder behind the strikers though, at club and country. The sooner that happens, the better. It means we don't have to rely on Heskey, just so Rooney can fanny about. We could actually play strikers who score goals. Can you imagine that? Can you? Wow!

----------------------------------- P.Robinson (Gk) -----------------------------------------------

--------G.Johnson (RB) J.Terry (CB) R.Ferdinand (CB) A.Cole (LB)-------------------------

------------------------- S.Gerrard (CM) F.Lampard (CM) ---------------------------------------------

------- A.Lennon (RW) ------------------------------------------- J.Cole (LW) ----------------------

---------------------------------------- W.Rooney (SS) --------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------- J.Defoe (S) -----------------------------------------------------

B.Foster (GK)

W.Bridge (LB)

J.Lescott (CB)

L.King (CB)

M.Richards (RB)

A.Young (LW)

D.Beckham (RW/CM)

M.Carrick (CM) (Hargreaves if he gets fit again)

G.Barry (CM)

P.Crouch (CF)

T.Walcott (S/RW/LW)

R.Green (GK)

Can Ireland not just get over it? Yes, it was handball, yes, the ref must've either been blind or bought. But there was still time for France to score again, and even if they hadn't, who's to say that Ireland would have won on pens. They were hard done by, but now the FAI are just looking like pissy little children throwing a tantrum because their big brother cheated in a board game. Suck it up lads.

It certainly was harsh at the time, even if they weren't winning, but I bet even the Oirish are sick of hearing about. Heck, Roy Keane was just about sick of it before it even happened, then casted all our minds back to his turmoil with the national side. It's all Me, me, me with that guy. Love him. I hope he gets into a full-on fisticuffs brawl with someone before his career is over. I think we're all itching to see him go toe to toe with a member of the press, or Patrick Viera.

Still, his name still gets sung at Old Trafford, despite him slagging off almost all United fans, and their own players. How can someone do that and still remain a legend? He probably could have wiped his arse with a United shirt and put Fergie into a coma, they'd still yell OHHHHH KEEEANOOOOO. Idiots.

I've just read the Ireland thing, can't see it happening. Apparently Costa Rica were denied a spot due to an offside goal against Uruguay. Ireland are gonna have to let it lie. I sympathize with them and still think a replay would have been have been the best solution but thats been rejected and time to put it to bed I feel.

Guest Gladstone
lets look on the brightside at least it wasnt engerland who were denied a spot! imagine that!!!!

The thing is, Ireland were receiving massive sympathy over this, whereas everyone would have just laughed at England.

BUT, I don' think the FA would have behaved like the FAI. It's just embarrassing, and they're doing Ireland no favours, acting like spoiled children...

----------------------------------- P.Robinson (Gk) -----------------------------------------------

--------G.Johnson (RB) J.Terry (CB) R.Ferdinand (CB) A.Cole (LB)-------------------------

------------------------- S.Gerrard (CM) F.Lampard (CM) ---------------------------------------------

------- A.Lennon (RW) ------------------------------------------- J.Cole (LW) ----------------------

---------------------------------------- W.Rooney (SS) --------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------- J.Defoe (S) -----------------------------------------------------

B.Foster (GK)

W.Bridge (LB)

J.Lescott (CB)

L.King (CB)

M.Richards (RB)

A.Young (LW)

D.Beckham (RW/CM)

M.Carrick (CM) (Hargreaves if he gets fit again)

G.Barry (CM)

P.Crouch (CF)

T.Walcott (S/RW/LW)

R.Green (GK)

I guess King probably knows enough about injuries now to give a bit of advice to the medical staff. Heck, he could probably single handedly replace the the entire medical staff with all his know how. No chance I'd have him in the squad though. There's more chance of Darren Anderton getting a full 90 minutes than Ledley King.

Draw for group stages to be made 4th December 2009 at 5pm GMT.

Pot 1

South Africa, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England, France

Pot 2

Netherlands, Portugal , Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece , Serbia, Denmark.

Pot 3

Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay

Pot 4

Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Mexico, Honduras

It's changed!

Netherlands are in Pot 1, France are in the Rest Of Europe Pot. I hope Ireland are happy now, look what they did.

The folks at FIFA say it's because they're looking at the rankings from October, because it's unfair to use the post play-off rankings due to the fact that France/Portugal playing extra competitive matches gave them a boost. I'm inclined to say that this is fair, the seeded teams should relate to how the teams performed in qualifying for the competition, not how they performed at the last 3 major competitions.