aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

He might be robust but he ends up coughing up a lung if he's on for more than 60mins. He's got no stamina.

Being raised on Teeside'll do that to a fella. The longer he's away from Smogland, the better he'll do.

No Zanetti or Cambiaso in Argentina's provisional squad, Maradona really doesn't want to win this.

Sounds encouraging for Torres, Iniesta and Fabregas being fit for the finals. Got Spain in my work sweeper as well. Might be question marks over sharpness but having Torres and Iniesta ready to go back into the starting lineup will be a major boost for them.

No Pato for Brazil was the biggest shock of the squads for me. He's superb, and one of few players they have who posess that cutting edge. Fabiano is a great striker, but he's the type to get on the end of supply. Pato has those quick dancing feet that can create something from nothing, and he's so strong for someone his size. Brazil's squad even includes Kleberson, Batista and Robinho. The latter two have had poor seasons, and Kleberson shouldn't really be a professional footballer. Pato has been superb, and even Ronaldinho has shown alot of improvement and desire again this year, yet he's left out too.

Dunga, Domenech, Diego... They are all going mental.

Some strange emissions indeed. I'd like to re-iterate the Paul Robinson point though. I can see why Joe Hart should probably be the number 1 choice for england but Robinson is definitely up there, if not better than him. I suppose Green and James have their moments but for me Robinson is the best english goalie about. He had an absolutely amazing season in a pretty poor side. Blackburn finished 10th in the league yet they are a pretty shit team. This was down to a solid as fuck defence and Paul Robinson being brilliant. The more I think about it, the more its a no brainer for him to be at least the 2nd choice keeper; and he's not even in the 30 man squad! Baffling.

Being raised on Teeside'll do that to a fella. The longer he's away from Smogland, the better he'll do.

No Zanetti or Cambiaso in Argentina's provisional squad, Maradona really doesn't want to win this.

No Lucho or Lisandro either, which doesn't make any sense to me. He's picked the likes of Veron and Palermo instead, the bloody maniac. Oh well, at least Jonas and Colo got the call :love:.

Pato being left out of the Brazil squad is the biggest head-scratcher for me, though. Instead he's called up Grafite, who is 31 and has made a grand total of 2 appearances for the national side. Nice one, Dunga.

I'm pretty sure this will be the final 23 for Germany:

Goalkeepers:

Manuel Neuer

Hans-Jorg Butt

Tim Wiese

Defenders:

Per Mertesacker

Philipp Lahm

Heiko Westermann

Arne Friedrich

Serdar Tasci

Holger Badstuber

Jerome Boateng

Andreas Beck

Midfielders:

Michael Ballack

Bastien Schweinsteiger

Mesut Ozil

Marko Marin

Piotr Trochowski

Sami Khedira

Toni Kroos

Forwards:

Miroslav Klose

Mario Gomez

Lukas Podolski

Thomas Muller

Cacau

Semi-Finals of the U21 Euro Championships. It wasn't even one of those ridiculous 9-10 penalty shoot-outs where everyone on the team take a pen - he was one of the main 5 guys, think it might even have been the second one for the team.

Hans Jorg-Butt scored a penalty for Bayern Munich against Juventus in the Champions League group stage earlier this season. That kind of behaviour does have a down-side -

Semi-Finals of the U21 Euro Championships. It wasn't even one of those ridiculous 9-10 penalty shoot-outs where everyone on the team take a pen - he was one of the main 5 guys, think it might even have been the second one for the team.

Hans Jorg-Butt scored a penalty for Bayern Munich against Juventus in the Champions League group stage earlier this season. That kind of behaviour does have a down-side -

Aye that was hilarious :p

It's the kind of bravery we need in South Africa. He's one person who can take one ahead of John Terry anyway. None of this side footing shite. 15 yard run up. Laces. Pray.

My worry about this is that Capello might opt for a 50% fit Terry over a fully fit Dawson or King. As much as I can't stand him, I hope he either fully recovers, or he is ruled out of the tournament completely. The 2006 campaign was hindered by a half fit Wayne Rooney being forced on, returning from a broken bone in record time.

Injuries aside, I'd rather have Dawson over Terry anyway. Or King if he can retain his fitness.

No Pato for Brazil was the biggest shock of the squads for me. He's superb, and one of few players they have who posess that cutting edge. Fabiano is a great striker, but he's the type to get on the end of supply. Pato has those quick dancing feet that can create something from nothing, and he's so strong for someone his size. Brazil's squad even includes Kleberson, Batista and Robinho. The latter two have had poor seasons, and Kleberson shouldn't really be a professional footballer. Pato has been superb, and even Ronaldinho has shown alot of improvement and desire again this year, yet he's left out too.

For one thing, Pato's been injured half the season.

Also, the only possible places for him in Dunga's system are at right wing or as the main striker. He's useless at right wing - zero work rate, has barely beaten a man all season (unless he's been 1-on-1 in 30 yards of open space), and can't/won't cross. And I still don't think he's ready to be a main striker. His hold-up play is shite and showing no signs of improving.

So I can't really see a starting place for Pato. I'd probably still have him in the squad as a wildcard though. I think Dunga's decision to leave him out altogether might have a lot to do with his tendency to whine like a child.

I'm pretty sure this will be the final 23 for Germany:

Midfielders:

Michael Ballack

Bastien Schweinsteiger

Mesut Ozil

Marko Marin

Piotr Trochowski

Sami Khedira

Toni Kroos

Is Lw playing 4-2-3-1? If so, I want to see Ballack and Schweinsteiger as the deep 2. Just think of all the powerful shooting and sensible passing.

:love:

Ballack's out of the World Cup. The Jarmans are saying he is "irreplacable". I don't think he is the player he was, but he is clearly still effective, and losing the presence of your tried and tested captain is obviously a blow in terms of morale, order and experience. I think in terms of ability, they can fill his slot fairly adequately. Your thoughts, Alkaline?

Ballack's out of the World Cup. The Jarmans are saying he is "irreplacable". I don't think he is the player he was, but he is clearly still effective, and losing the presence of your tried and tested captain is obviously a blow in terms of morale, order and experience. I think in terms of ability, they can fill his slot fairly adequately. Your thoughts, Alkaline?

He will definitely be missed in my opinion, what he lacks in the pace front he certainly made up for it in leadership and distribution. I wouldn't be suprised if Low brings in someone like Hitzlsperger or maybe even greenlight recalls for Frings or Borowski?

On the captaincy front there's still Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Klose and Mertesacker who have bundles of experience between them to take his place.

Central midfield is definitely the part of the pitch where i have least confidence in the team, certainly in terms of defensive midfielders or holding midfielders.

• 2 weeks later...