aberdeen-music

Neil and the rest of the ab-music team

Guest Bob

Hey guys, sorry to trouble your busy selves but can you provide me with a little information on what, if anything, is currently being done to attract new members to this site?

Also, I'm a bit of a geek for server statistics. Would you consider publishing what sort of traffic this site is generating and how much data is being handled etc?

Further to this, does this site now sustain itself through advertising revenue etc, or does it cost you more to run than is generated?

I'm sure the majority of members would agree with me when I say that these forums are a hugely valuable resource and asset to our local music scene. I really don't think it's said enough so I'd like to take this chance to say thank you to you Neil and everyone else involved in ab-music for your sterling work and contribution to the Aberdeen music scene over the last decade. I for one wouldn't wish to lose the site through neglect or a lack of consideration on our part.

As a parting question I would ask how you see aberdeen-music developing and if any changes are planned for the future?

Thanks again,

B

Hey guys, sorry to trouble your busy selves but can you provide me with a little information on what, if anything, is currently being done to attract new members to this site?

The short answer to this is nothing to be quite honest. We've never really pushed to get new members be it through advertising or whatever (I think the last advertisement we had was in the Granite City Guide - and that a freebie). Primarily due to the lack of having the finance available to do it properly and the free time to actually do it. Ideas of what we could possibly do are always welcome though.

Thankfully, through various enhancements made to the web site over the years, it is now very well indexed by the various search engines and so it hasn't proved hard for people (both old and new) to stumble onto the site. As always, I've got various improvements in the pipeline that I hope will attract new members and retain those who already use the site. This week I've actually been working on putting in a new events listing system that will completely replace the Calendar (What's On?) section of the web site in the next week or so. There will also be a dedicated Classified Ads system being put in that will replace the Trading Post forums. vBulletin v4.0 is also on the horizon for release later this year and that will no doubt introduce lots of new enhancements and features across most sections of the web site.

Also, I'm a bit of a geek for server statistics. Would you consider publishing what sort of traffic this site is generating and how much data is being handled etc?

What would you like to know exactly?

In the last month we received 539,609 page views made by 76,068 visitors of whom spent an average of 7 minutes on the web site. Bandwidth used in the last month was 12GB. Overall this is probably a little down from the same period a year ago, but I've been saying that this web site reached it's plateau a good couple of years or so ago now and people are more likely to spend their time on social networks (Facebook, Bebo, Twitter etc) rather than online forums. I expect the traffic to continue to slowly decline.

Further to this, does this site now sustain itself through advertising revenue etc, or does it cost you more to run than is generated?

Yes, it has been sustaining itself for the last few years or so through using a mix of advertising revenue from local sponsors, Google Adsense and members who subscribe to the Supporters scheme. The surplus revenue we make simply sits in a bank account and is used for renewing/paying for software licences and for making up any shortfalls we may have on the occasional month.

We actually had a couple of tough months earlier this year thanks to the credit crunch as we pay the web hosting bill in US dollars and the pound's weakness against this caused the monthly bill to go shooting up. Things appear to have stabilised again now though, thankfully.

I'm sure the majority of members would agree with me when I say that these forums are a hugely valuable resource and asset to our local music scene. I really don't think it's said enough so I'd like to take this chance to say thank you to you Neil and everyone else involved in ab-music for your sterling work and contribution to the Aberdeen music scene over the last decade. I for one wouldn't wish to lose the site through neglect or a lack of consideration on our part.

I'm sure the staff will be very pleased to hear your kind comments. I only wish I could spend more time on the site myself in order to help justify some of this praise for myself!

As a parting question I would ask how you see aberdeen-music developing and if any changes are planned for the future?

Very much so (see my answer above).

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Although there may be less traffic and less active members now than in the past i think the content of the site has improved greatly. The majority of the threads are worthwhile and stay on topic, whereas in the past there were many threads that were pointless to begin with and often had pages of meandering personal chat. I use the site every day and find it really useful, and 3 quid a month is more than worth it to help keep it running. As Bob says, good work fellas, and long may it continue :up:

Guest idol_wild
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Although there may be less traffic and less active members now than in the past i think the content of the site has improved greatly. The majority of the threads are worthwhile and stay on topic, whereas in the past there were many threads that were pointless to begin with and often had pages of meandering personal chat. I use the site every day and find it really useful, and 3 quid a month is more than worth it to help keep it running. As Bob says, good work fellas, and long may it continue :up:

Good post. And I agree. I have been registered with the site for absolutely years, but only really started using and posting regularly within the last year, really. Previously, my contributions were very sporadic.

I'm channeling an absolute mountain of energy and time into relocating myself elsewhere within a few months but I know that I'll still be a regular reader and contributor to this website, despite no longer being based in Aberdeen.

Although I don't feel this website represents the music scene in Aberdeen, I do think it's a key exponent of the scene on the whole. It's easily the best music based forum I have ever encountered. To echo Lucky Rathen, 3 seems like a bargain financial contribution to help the site continue.

In saying that, I am still a bit bitter about the tags being abolished. ;)

i need to sort my paypal out so i can have my ace signature again, oh and cause it helps the site survive :)

Bobs right tho this site has done heaps for so many people and bands (but not MMW remember :p ) it would be a damm shame if it ever disapeared or neil finally got bored of my spamming and shut it down.

I may become a supporter. It seems apt, as I'm on here quite alot.

In addition to getting a signature, a picture on your profile, 25Mb of storage for pictures, storage for 1000 PMs, and no adverts anywhere on the site, you also get access to an exclusive forum called "The Lounge" where we all gather to make fun of all the shit-munchers who can't see it. Also every year you get a Christmas card with a picture of Chris on it, naked.

Guest idol_wild
I should point out that I'm still trying to come up with some more benefits for being a Supporter (and Sponsor for that matter - they get the same perks) so you get more bang for your buck. Suggestions welcome!
Also every year you get a Christmas card with a picture of Chris on it, naked.

The eradication of that would be a pretty good start.

• 2 weeks later...

Good post Bob and well done to all the Mods for keeping this site alive.

As The Kiosque has pointed out, this is one of the best sites of it's kind around, there doesn't seem to be many like it in the UK, let alone Scotland.

You guys have inspired me to re-instate my Supporter status.

Erm...Mods, how do I do that again? :O

Good post Bob and well done to all the Mods for keeping this site alive.

As The Kiosque has pointed out, this is one of the best sites of it's kind around, there doesn't seem to be many like it in the UK, let alone Scotland.

You guys have inspired me to re-instate my Supporter status.

Erm...Mods, how do I do that again? :O

aberdeen-music - Supporter's Scheme

Thankfully, through various enhancements made to the web site over the years, it is now very well indexed by the various search engines and so it hasn't proved hard for people (both old and new) to stumble onto the site. As always, I've got various improvements in the pipeline that I hope will attract new members and retain those who already use the site. This week I've actually been working on putting in a new events listing system that will completely replace the Calendar (What's On?) section of the web site in the next week or so. There will also be a dedicated Classified Ads system being put in that will replace the Trading Post forums. vBulletin v4.0 is also on the horizon for release later this year and that will no doubt introduce lots of new enhancements and features across most sections of the web site.

This sounds cool. It would be smart if you could any thread in the forum to a global calender. For example the Joan of Arc and Neil Young threads were already established and there didn't seem to be a thread in the gig and events forum, if these could be like attached to a calender so people wouldn't have to search through several forums to find info. Like wise for the Promo forums like Dizzy Storm and IMP who often have to post the same thread twice, one of which usually gets ignored.

I think I'll become a supporter too. I've found band members promo'd bands, and bought/sold a ton of gear on this site so I suppose it's fair.