aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Tonight could be the night that an incredible record comes to an end in England. League Two leaders Rochdale are playing bottom of the table Darlington and a win for Rochdale would seal promotion to League One bringing to an end 36 years in the bottom division of English football. Finally something to cheer about at Spotland.

Thing that I found out today - Bury were the first football club to score 1,000 goals in each of the top four tiers of English football.

thats an incredible length of time to stay in the lowest tier of English football! Actually last time Rochdale went down, Cambridge went with them! At least we've had many ups and downs since I first started going to the Abbey back in the late 70's! It's been a long time coming for Rochdale! They'll probably come straight back down but I'm sure their supporters won't give a stuff about that!

Aye - well fair enough. It was fucking ages ago, but I just remember thinking that it seemed as if Aberdeen were getting (intentionally) let off the hook to preserve their SPL status.

But, that was back when I used to like seeing Aberdeen get beat, and would have gloated like fuck if they'd been relegated (due to being subjected to Celtic related abuse from all my mates my entire life...), whereas these days, I kind of half support Aberdeen in that I always look out for them winning, in games that don't feature Celtic, and want them to come 2nd in the league, do well in cups, and Europe etc. and sometimes go along to games and cheer them on - so I'd be really disappointed if they got relegated, unless it meant relegation led to a mass shake up and they pulled their collective finger out and sorted the club oot.

Hmmm...... you know back when I was a ******* fan, that's how I ended up defecting to the Dons. At first about twelve years ago I was like "I hope the Dons do well, they're my second team", then I was like "I'm going to start going along to Pittodrie to watch the Dons", then I found myself looking on Teletext for the Dons score before the ******* score, and reading their match reports in the paper first, and I bought a Dons scarf "just so I would fit in at matches, and I bought a Dons calendar "for a laugh", and if I met new people and they asked who I supported I would say that I was a Dons fan "just to save arguments". Then before I knew myself I realised I was a fully fledged Dons fan, I made an official announcement of my defection, and now I fucking hate the other lot that I supported for about 20 years.

Give it a few more seasons, you'll come around. ;)

Guest Gladstone
Hmmm...... you know back when I was a ******* fan, that's how I ended up defecting to the Dons. At first about twelve years ago I was like "I hope the Dons do well, they're my second team", then I was like "I'm going to start going along to Pittodrie to watch the Dons", then I found myself looking on Teletext for the Dons score before the ******* score, and reading their match reports in the paper first, and I bought a Dons scarf "just so I would fit in at matches, and I bought a Dons calendar "for a laugh", and if I met new people and they asked who I supported I would say that I was a Dons fan "just to save arguments". Then before I knew myself I realised I was a fully fledged Dons fan, I made an official announcement of my defection, and now I fucking hate the other lot that I supported for about 20 years.

Give it a few more seasons, you'll come around. ;)

I don't care enough about football in general for this to ever happen to be honest. I also don't go to Dons games anymore either - I used to live 5 mins from Pittodrie, which was a massive factor in me going to games - I now live 35 miles away...

I already own a Dons scarf (Dons/Bayern scarf).

I've supported Celtic for 22 years of my 28 - I was a Dons fan until the age of 6, and for some unknown reason, the day after Aberdeen won the Skol Cup, I decided to be like my brother and Dad and support Celtic.

I won't ever be a fully fledged Dons fan over Celtic though.

Did you used to be a hun? That's disgusting.

I don't care enough about football in general for this to ever happen to be honest. I also don't go to Dons games anymore either - I used to live 5 mins from Pittodrie, which was a massive factor in me going to games - I now live 35 miles away...

I've supported Celtic for 22 years of my 28 - I was a Dons fan until the age of 6, and for some unknown reason, the day after Aberdeen won the Skol Cup, I decided to be like my brother and Dad and support Celtic.

I won't ever be a fully fledged Dons fan over Celtic though.

Did you used to be a hun? That's disgusting.

Yeah. I thought you knew that? I think it gives me licence to hate them even more that most Dons fans, cos I've seen what they're like from the inside.... in short, fucking scum. One time I was in a pub in Govan before a Rangers v Paris Saint Germain match, a few Parisians wandered into the pub looking to make friends and have a bit of banter with the friendly locals, probably assuming huns were similar to the Tartan Army. So they came in to the pub and started singing Flower Of Scotland. Very nearly got the shit beaten out of them. Most of the home fans that night that were next to the divide spent the entire 90 minutes pelting the (entirely friendly) Paris fans with coins, pies etc, goading them and not even watching the match. That was the first time I ever thought "hold on a minute...."

We had a great time on the train home after the semi on Sunday, chatting away with the Raith fans. The only guy who was in anyway a problem was the solitary Celtic fan, all drunk eyes and belligerence.

Most football fans are ace, unfortunately the Old Firm's are disproportionately despicable.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah. I thought you knew that? I think it gives me licence to hate them even more that most Dons fans, cos I've seen what they're like from the inside.... in short, fucking scum. One time I was in a pub in Govan before a Rangers v Paris Saint Germain match, a few Parisians wandered into the pub looking to make friends and have a bit of banter with the friendly locals, probably assuming huns were similar to the Tartan Army. So they came in to the pub and started singing Flower Of Scotland. Very nearly got the shit beaten out of them. Most of the home fans that night that were next to the divide spent the entire 90 minutes pelting the (entirely friendly) Paris fans with coins, pies etc, goading them and not even watching the match. That was the first time I ever thought "hold on a minute...."

In stark contrast, I wandered into the London Road Tavern pre Celtic v Barca a couple of seasons ago in the Champions League, and the Barca fans were getting their photos taken with the Celtic fans, and joining in on sing-songs etc.

I think that's how most clubs behave on European ties isn't it? That's what I heard Aberdeen fans were doing in Madrid anyway (when they weren't getting beat around the head by the over-zealous police).

Guest Gladstone
We had a great time on the train home after the semi on Sunday, chatting away with the Raith fans. The only guy who was in anyway a problem was the solitary Celtic fan, all drunk eyes and belligerence.

Most football fans are ace, unfortunately the Old Firm's are disproportionately despicable.

I hate getting tarred with that brush. I've never in my life witnessed any trouble from Celtic fans.

Not saying it doesn't happen, because it does, the same as all other football fans get into bother now and again.

Quoted for truth. I've never had any bother with any other fans except the Old Firm. Scotland games are especially ace, all the fans mingling outside the ground and having a laugh. gettng photos taken together, swapping scarves, winding each other up a bit etc. :up:

Guest Gladstone
Quoted for truth. I've never had any bother with any other fans except the Old Firm. Scotland games are especially ace, all the fans mingling outside the ground and having a laugh. gettng photos taken together, swapping scarves, winding each other up a bit etc. :up:

How often has that been from Celtic fans though? Really?

Guest Gladstone
The only problem on that train journey was the one Celtic fan with angry eyes, pounded liver and hateful tongue. The rest of us were all pure hugging and kissing, appreciating the sun and the day out.

Kissing with tongues.

I'm going to use the Rangers defence here.

He was clearly a Chelsea fan in a Celtic top.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Haha! I hate Chelsea, me.

I wouldn't use the Rangers defence for anything. Davie Weir's 90.

He's also better (and older) than our entire defence put together.

Did you find it / handed to you in Munich? :up:

I've got a long running feud with my mate that begged me to borrow my brand new scarf and subsequently lost it. grrrr. it would've been in my collection of split scarves from all the Euro trips that season, well apart from POAK, thankfully didn't see a red spliced with green in athens & got a AEK scarf exchange!

I found my 'European Cup Winners Cup Winners' scarf from when I was a loon when I moved house. Have considered E Bay but probably better just kept as a memento.

EDIt: My mistake it actually says 'Aberdeen FC European Cup Winners Cup Final 1983' on it.

My dad still wears that scarf to every Dons game he goes to :up:

...cos I've seen what they're like from the inside.... in short, fucking scum. One time I was in a pub in Govan before a Rangers v Paris Saint Germain match.

To be fair.. you were in a pub in Govan! :p

I think I'm pretty lucky where my seat is at Ibrox that I haven't got people around me who provoke the stereotype. They are an older group who get annoyed at the performance of the team and, at times, the selection of Walter Smith. Even during the 2 OF games and the 2 Aberdeen games this season there wasn't anything that made me feel uncomfortable.

I've heard it in other parts of the stadium, particularly the Broomloan and Copland Rear where the 'hardcore' N. Irish fans sit.

In saying that the most uncomfortable I've felt was sitting at the barrier at a Rangers vs Dons game last season.

I hate the whole 'thing' (can't think of the word) that surrounds Rangers. I just get on the subway, watch the game and go home. I just don't understand, but I know it's never going to go away which makes it even more horrible because there are so many little kids that are brought along by their thug-like parents and spout the same nonsense week after week.

Think I'll end my rant.

• Upvote 1

This statement baffles me. It's like you have just accepted that your fellow Rangers fans are total scum (which they are btw).

Nothing baffling about accepting the overwhelmingly obvious.

ftof

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Stigma? Stigmata? I get the two mixed up. One means having scars like Jesus.

Is that the word I couldn't think of?!

I wasn't meaning what others think of Rangers and the fans... more the stuff that 'not nice fans' get wrapped up in.