aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I like that penalty decision from the ref. More of those grappling in the box on corners and the like should be given, especially when the ref has warned the defenders multiple times before the delivery comes in. Silly Cap'n Morgan.

The stupid thing was that the corner had to be retaken because the exact same thing was happening in the box. The ref saw the tussle going on and must've said something like "do that again and I'm giving a penalty"... and Morgan went and did it anyway. Spastic.

• Upvote 1

The stupid thing was that the corner had to be retaken because the exact same thing was happening in the box. The ref saw the tussle going on and must've said something like "do that again and I'm giving a penalty"... and Morgan went and did it anyway. Spastic.

Happens all the time. If the Ref gave a penalty for every time it happened, there'd be a penalty for every cross into the box. The pro being that no game will ever be 0-0 again.

Reckon you can stay up? You really have to invest a bit in summer. You'll have made a killing from the TV coverage you've had. Portsmouth will be having a firesale on players desperate to stay in the top flight, and pinching players on their way down as you're on your way up goes without saying. Perhaps a bit of Steven Fletcher or Fagan. Or maybe Hughton will get the boot and you'll bring in Gordon Strachan. Your transfer prospects will be through the roof. Aiden McGeady. Georgie Samaras. Scott Brown. Artur Boruc. The shortlist goes on. Strachan might even put in a request to make the black and white stripes horizontal. But this is purely speculation. Speculation that I just made up.

Reckon you can stay up? You really have to invest a bit in summer. You'll have made a killing from the TV coverage you've had. Portsmouth will be having a firesale on players desperate to stay in the top flight, and pinching players on their way down as you're on your way up goes without saying. Perhaps a bit of Steven Fletcher or Fagan. Or maybe Hughton will get the boot and you'll bring in Gordon Strachan. Your transfer prospects will be through the roof. Aiden McGeady. Georgie Samaras. Scott Brown. Artur Boruc. The shortlist goes on. Strachan might even put in a request to make the black and white stripes horizontal. But this is purely speculation. Speculation that I just made up.

I do think we'll stay up, but only after some shrewd business in the transfer market. We have plenty of players who are great in the Championship but probably won't be able to make the step up, and I think we'll need about 4-5 first XI players plus some others to pad the squad out. As it stands, I think we need a couple of central midfielders, a right-winger, a proven goalscorer, and maybe a right-back. The goalkeeping situation is going to be interesting, too. Harper has had a very good season but he's in the twilight of his career (1 clich point, please) while Tim Krul has looked impressive when he's played and Fraser Forster has been playing exceptionally for Norwich. I can't see either of these youngsters being content with sitting on the bench much longer, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Hughton does there.

Hughton did brilliantly in the January transfer window, though. He recognised our weakest positions and bought wisely. Routledge has been an absolute revelation and Williamson has been great; his only failure was signing Leon Best, who is terrible. I trust him to do a good job again. The club's transfer policy is to spend fair fees on players under the age of 26 who have resale value. Smart, given the amount we've splurged on over-rated has-beens over the years. I'd love to see us go in for Jamie O'Hara, but I think that's quite ambitious despite the stiff competition he'll face in Tottenham's midfield. We were linked with Alan Hutton the other day and I wouldn't be disappointed to see him sign. From the potentially relegated sides, I'd take Kevin-Prince Boateng, Tom Cairney, Steven Fletcher, and a few of West Ham's players (Green, Cole, Kovac, Upson, Noble, Behrami, Tomkins, Collison, Diamanti).

If we don't have a good transfer window, we're fucked though.

Sorry, but just how good is Lionel Messi?

I haven't seen anyone this good since another Argentinian short-arse in 1986. In fact, fuck it.....he's better than him n'all.

Arsenal's defence has been abysmal; Messi has been clinical. He took his first goal brilliantly, but the other two were gifted to him. Even the first one fell to him as a result of Silvestre fannying about.

Incredible player, but Arsenal aren't making him work.

Ruud Gullit just said "spanking".

Arsenal's defence has been abysmal; Messi has been clinical. He took his first goal brilliantly, but the other two were gifted to him. Even the first one fell to him as a result of Silvestre fannying about.

Shpanking?

I missed the 1st half but saw the replays of all goals - amateur stuff from Arsenal. Probably the same difference in class between Barca and Arsenal as there was between Arsenal and Celtic in the qualifiers.

Thank christ ICT are more consistent than my darts tonight!!

Trains/buses booked for the games v. Dunfermline (17th April) and Ayr (24th April) on the off chance we win the league on either. Would love for it to be the Ayr game as I can get smashed after (i've got a marathon the day after the Dunfermline game).

Not counting any chickens yet, but it is really looking in our favour now :)

I dunno, that lob was just insane. In this age, one on one with the keeper, who goes for the chip from that range? It was just magical.

There was so many instances where he just danced through so many players, although that tackle from Denilsion was never a foul. bad refereeing.

Not the best of games to watch, but Messi was just sublime.

Guest Gladstone

As good as Messi is, and that finish for the third was brilliant, I can't get past the fact that his arms are just too short. I bet he never takes throw-ins.

As good as Messi is, and that finish for the third was brilliant, I can't get past the fact that his arms are just too short. I bet he never takes throw-ins.

Thats probably to do with a hormone deficiency when he was younger, without medical treatment that Barcelona offered to pay if he signed for them he wouldn't have grown past 5 foot, apparently.

Fergie is playing Rooney tonight after saying he had no chance of playing. It's a big gamble.

His presence was important in the build up to the goals, which is why he's so great. He doesn't really have to be the goal scorer to be the reason a goal is scored. His movement deters defenders, and drives the team into the right positions. You just don't get that with Berbatov.

United were awesome in the first half. Rafael, Nani and Valencia especially. The sending off changed everything, just when Rafael was having such a good game against Ribery. Bayern were rarely that good, but when O'Shea came on for Rooney, there was no target man, and the aim of keeping possession was obsolete. No one in the team was capable of holding the ball up, so who do you even hoof it towards? Robben's goal was superb, and I'm glad it was a screamer which sealed the tie, and not a rubbish tap in.

Carrick is shite. This season has been terrible for him. For a holding midfielder, he is piss weak, shows no drive and no ruthlessness. Olic bullied him off the ball and tapped it in. He should have headed it away, but he was just nudged aside with ease. Horrendous player. I imagine Hargreaves will replace him if he ever gets fit, or they'll ship in a nails holding midfielder in the summer. They just have to. He's godawful.