aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

OK. my most sincere and humble apologies for failing to remember verbatim your actual words on the subject, you were certainly a fan of him and defended him to the hilt, I'm just surprised that no football club chairmen seem to share your view.

Nope, I'm not going to agree with you here. Calderwood did a bloody good job on what he had available, and while he probably wouldn't suit a club with money, he's a damn good bet for any top level club that doesn't have lots of money to invest.

I'll give it one bad start to the season and the Aberdeen faithful will be all over McGhee, especially as they'll be expecting a dream start to the season. Consideirng he'll be working with no money, with the Setanta mess on top - just what do Aberdeen fans expect?

Will McGhee really have any hope of getting to the last 32 of the UEFA cup?

Would Calderwood had the group stages consisted of home and away games against every team as opposed one game?

Let's see...

Assuming that the current results stand, then Aberdeen would have had home games against Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid, and away games against Lokomotiv Moscow and FC Copenhagen.

FC Copenhagen would've had home games against Aberdeen and Lokomotiv Moscow, away against Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid.

Lokomotiv Moscow would've had home games against Aberdeen and Athletico Madrid, away games against Panathinaikos and FC Copenhagen.

Aberdeen would probably have got 1 point from 6 out of the Greeks and Spanish, 1 point away to Copenhagen and 1 from Lokomotiv Moscow. That would've given them 7 points in the group.

FC Copenhagen would've got the 1 point from Aberdeen, 3 from Lokomotiv and nothing from Panathinaikos or Atletico. That would've given them 7 points in the group.

Lokomotiv Moscow would get 1 from Aberdeen, nothing from Atletico, Panathinaikos or Copenhagen. They'd be left on 3.

So - Aberdeen would get the tiebreaker on goal difference most likely (they wouldn't lose by much at home). So yes, purely speculatively, Aberdeen would've done it regardless.

First half of the Spain game last night was brutal. It's fine entertainment, but what is the purpose of putting full strength squads of world class nations against New Zealand? I think Spain are only missing Iniesta from the squad, and gave Riera a run out on the wing instead of Silva who sat on the bench. It could have easily been 15-0 but they obviously took a step back after they netted the 4th or 5th.

The games will get real good in the knockout stages though, although group 2 looks pretty tasty with Brazil and Italy. Only seems to be Ronaldinho missing from Brazil, but thats probably deserved.

yeah thats what i thought, what a waste of time for spain really, they never got out of first gear and still walked over them.

Still at least we have some football on TV to get us through some of the summer :)

Isn't it the Emirates Cup soon too? Quite fond of those friendly club competitions.

Was it some pre-season comp when Roberto Carlos took that free kick that ballooned around the wall, then spun the other way past the keeper? I'm sure it was for Brazil and not whatever club he was playing for then. Good times.

Isn't it the Emirates Cup soon too? Quite fond of those friendly club competitions.

Was it some pre-season comp when Roberto Carlos took that free kick that ballooned around the wall, then spun the other way past the keeper? I'm sure it was for Brazil and not whatever club he was playing for then. Good times.

Was it not before france 98?, against france or england?

confederations cup against france if i remember correct, i was watching the game at the time, totally didnt appreciate how good a free kick it was till long after.

I'm sure it had some poncey name. Tournoi, or something.

It was right good anyway. I wish more preason football was on telly. Like when clubs do tours of Asia and stuff. I'm not paying 6 quid a month for MUTV to watch Manyoo play Orlando Pirates. Be mint if it was on Sky or something though.

confederations cup against france if i remember correct, i was watching the game at the time, totally didnt appreciate how good a free kick it was till long after.

It was actually in 'Le Tournoi' the year before France 98 - essentially the same space in the calendar that the confederations cup takes up, but before the CC was in its current format.

Was basically a group format with England, France, Brazil and Italy, each played each other and top of the group won it.

England won it :down:

I remember me and a boy on the school bus having endless arguments about how far out it was and how much the ball swerved etc aided by drawing diagrams on the steamed up windows on the bus. Those were the days :up:

Theres heaps of good soccer on sky this summer - Under 21 Euros, Confeds Cup on BBC, Toulon Tournament on Eurosport, then we get into the pre season crap in July, Emirates CUp, Amsterdam Tournment, pretty sure theres a Wembley Cup or something this year as well with Rangers in it. - no doubt Murdersmell's european exit to some finnish mob will be on BBC Scotland!

splendid background telly for a bit of Champ, plus the added bonus of random names you can search for to find hidden gems!

It would be a right laugh if this speculated rumour of United snatching Torres from a financially struck Liverpool came true. They don't really deserve him though after Gill admitted he simply wasn't good enough after following him through most of 2005/06 and came so very close to signing him. Idiot.

Hopefully, at the very least they'll get Benzema and Valencia, but I think they need a bit more than that.

Ronaldo's latest interview with a French football magazine was quite cringeworthy. Some twaddle about him already realising he's among the best of the best, but he wants to continue to keep re-writing history. The only time he feels remorse is when he plays badly, but he admitted that luckily its only happens rarely. Chump.