aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

We're going to win the SFL 1st Division, Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup.

The only good thing about coming down to Alcatraz is the thought of the quadruple!

I think a lot for ICT depends on who you can hold onto and the quality of the ex-SPL mercenaries you can get in: I still remember when we lost Grady, Archie and Rowser when we went through the trapdoor last time, and then got relegated again..... :down:

I don't rate McGhee at all.

... but you do rate Butcher?

He did a decent job at Motherwell and he gave a valiant effort to haul ICT out of the shit, but he's been absolutely dreadful everywhere else. McGhee's track record isn't exactly stellar but it's a lot better than Terry's.

I'm a big TB fan, just think it would be an extremely average appointment.

Not expecting a great deal from the DA at all, we've had to let a load of players go just to keep afloat so we're "relying on youth". We did that back in the early '70's and by the end of the seventies we were firmly ensconsed in the old Division 2. Tough times ahead...

Not :up:, could even go :down:

On the Newcastle front, it looks like another write-off already. Fat Mike's decision to sell couldn't have come at a worse time; he's gotta go, but this could royally screw us if it drags on for too long. We don't have a manager and we desperately need to sort out player contracts - while everyone else in the division is looking ahead, we're stuck in a mire. If we can get Al and Dowie signed-up next week then we'll be in a better position and maybe somebody who has the slightest fucking clue about running a football club will buy us, but this club is such a glutton for failure that I'm not feeling particularly optimistic.

On the plus side, Steven Taylor and Habib Beye want to stay at SJP which gives us a good start. Beye's a fantastic right-back and I fancy Taylor to really dominate at this level. It sounds like Enrique wants to stay too, and if Bassong signs the contract we've offered him (he's currently on 5k p/w, despite the fact that he's been our best player by FAR over the past 12 months) then we'll have a rock-solid core to build on. Damien Duff and Barton want to stay too; Barton can fuck right off, but if Duff's willing to take a massive pay-cut I can see him doing some damage at this level.

We need to sign a couple of experienced players, bring through some of our younger players and make a few sensible signings to bolster the squad. We need a guaranteed 20-a-season striker because I don't really fancy Stroller and Carroll to hit that target. We need a Kevin Phillips (but not him, obviously)... I do like the look of Jermaine Beckford, though.

I'd be delighted to take Lee Carsley from Birmingham if Eck doesn't fancy keeping him on. Everytime I saw him last season he looked great; a fierce, combative central midfielder who leads by example and, more importantly, makes Nicky Butt look like a lame duck. We need some youth in the middle; Lallana and Surman at Southampton look like good options - I'd be very happy with Guthrie and Surman in the middle, with Lallana on the bench. Jonjo Shelvey and Nicky Bailey at Charlton are cracking players at this level too.

I think it's time for Steve Harper to move on. I love the bloke and think he's a very good goalkeeper, but we have two youngsters in Tim Krul and Fraser Forster waiting in the wings to take over and it's not fair on them. Krul in particularly is the Dutch U21 keeper and has interested Chelsea and Feyenoord recently; I'd be absolutely gutted if he left because he wasn't getting a game. Also on the youth front Nile Ranger, Kazenga LuaLua, Haris Vuckic and Tamas Kadar look like decent prospects and I'd like to see them get some time on the field this year.

It's going to be a long, hard season and I'm not sure what I expect of the team. It all depends on how the takeover goes and who we bring in as manager, I suppose. Still, with a few smart signings we could easily push for an instant promotion rebound. Any more than 2 years at this level will kill the club.

Phew. Long post.

We've got quite a few players out of contract with some of the better ones having left, but Coops knows what he's doing so should be able to bring in some decent players.

If we can get an experienced central midfielder and a decent right winger we'll be sorted for another crack at the playoffs. I don't think we'll be looking to go up though - financial suicide.

EDIT - And we'll beat Aberdeen in pre-season. Not Caley though, cause I don't think we're playing them.

If he struggles to begin with, for the love of christ, they need to give him a chance to settle. Chelsea have barely won anything for 2 years, and it's not coincidence that they've seen now 6 managers since their last league title. And yes, I'm including Ray Wilkins in that. There must be a severe unrest in the dressing room with the constant staff changeovers and adapting to different managerial tactics. Hiddink really got them playing again though, so mad props to him.

Now we just have to put up with a couple of months of speculation of Kaka following suit.

Now we just have to put up with a couple of months of speculation of Kaka following suit.

And Pirlo, perhaps Pato. None of whom will go imo. If Kaka goes anywhere, it will be Real, but that is a big if. He seems to love Milan, and what with coming out and saying how he wants the captains armband after Ambrosini I reckon he may well spend his career there. Unless they suddenly stop contending for any honours whatsoever. He has already proved he isn't a money grabbing mercenary, so any move by him would be football driven. I'd be surprised if any Milan players go to Chelsea actually, my money is on them signing Ribery, David Villa and perhaps David Silva. All of whom would be cheaper than the Milan players and are of no real lesser quality.

Well now that Ronaldo has thrown toys out of the pram again after last weeks defeat, it makes it more likely he will jump ship, not just because of his petulance, but because his lack of loyalty is really going to be clear as day if Fergie has got any sense at all. He's probably going to go for big money, which puts Manyoo in a good position to bolster their speculated Ribery and Silva bids. Papers sey they are after Huntelaar again. He'd be fucking dumb to lose Tevez and gain Huntelaar.

Quite interested in what will happen to Arsenal and Liverpool. Both seem to not have as much to spend over summer, and are linked with players leaving. Benitez didn't seem all that convcing about Alonso staying.

tevez is nothing like rooney in terms of what they do on the pitch, i dont see why people think that.

I hope Ronaldo leaves im fed up with his pissing and moaning and his complete lack of respect for Man u of his manager, let him move to Real and win nothing for the next few years, it will take something very special for that team to break Barca in the next few seasons and even he couldnt do much about it. Plus Utd will just replace him with someone better.

I'm not saying he's not a good player. I really rate him alot. I just don't think they should lose Tevez. The pressure has been on Tevez to score, and the stats are against him. Mainly because he's being played in a striker position, which isn't where he should be played. He's much more suited to sitting behind the frontmen, like the traditional number 10 position. Like Kaka, Gerrard etc...

tevez is nothing like rooney in terms of what they do on the pitch, i dont see why people think that.

I hope Ronaldo leaves im fed up with his pissing and moaning and his complete lack of respect for Man u of his manager, let him move to Real and win nothing for the next few years, it will take something very special for that team to break Barca in the next few seasons and even he couldnt do much about it. Plus Utd will just replace him with someone better.

He is. They both play a very physical, lots of movement off the ball style of football. Both are very willing to get stuck in in midfield and drift to the wings.

Neither Rooney or Tevez are out and out goal scorers. Huntelaar is, like Berbatov as well, and like Van Nistelrooy was before he switched to Real.

He's much more suited to sitting behind the frontmen, like the traditional number 10 position. Like Kaka, Gerrard etc...

Or Rooney...

25m is a lot to pay for someone who will probably spend most of the season on the bench again. Tevez and Rooney don't play particularly well together, as has been evident this season and Rooney is a much better player than Tevez in my opinion.

They need someone with a bit more energy and vision than Berbatov (which they would probably get from Huntelaar). He's considered a poacher, but he's caught out of position so many times and makes little effort to get back infront of goal at the right times. Great with the ball at his feet, but just not motivated. Get rid. Keep Tevez.

He is. They both play a very physical, lots of movement off the ball style of football. Both are very willing to get stuck in in midfield and drift to the wings.

Neither Rooney or Tevez are out and out goal scorers. Huntelaar is, like Berbatov as well, and like Van Nistelrooy was before he switched to Real.

Rooney only plays that way because Fergie consistantly plays him out of his natural position tho. Van Nistelrooy still scores shit loads of goals im not quite sure what you mean with that statement.

Or Rooney...

25m is a lot to pay for someone who will probably spend most of the season on the bench again. Tevez and Rooney don't play particularly well together, as has been evident this season and Rooney is a much better player than Tevez in my opinion.

yet last season they played amazinly together.....

but chelsea wont give Anceloti time, i can see a repeat of last season all over again and Hiddink will probably be asked to step in!

as for cambridge, not really had to think too much next season as promotion from the conference is what we'll be looking for, hopefully avoiding a wembley play off final!!!! think the conference is going to be tougher than ever this season. a cup run would be nice as well.