aberdeen-music

Formula One 2009

Bigsby

Nah, it's mostly the car. Granted, being proficient in that driving style helps but the car is the key.

Yeah true but the percentage for driving skill is equally high otherwise every year the team with the best car would have the one - two in the drivers championship surely. I know there is team bias towards the 'number 1' driver but still driver skill has its place.

I do agree with you though as Hamilton has been showing this year.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah true but the percentage for driving skill is equally high otherwise every year the team with the best car would have the one - two in the drivers championship surely. I know there is team bias towards the 'number 1' driver but still driver skill has its place.

I do agree with you though as Hamilton has been showing this year.

Like you say, there's no 1/2 team wins usually because of the focus on a "number 1" driver.

McLaren's car this year is a shocker. Jenson Button is benefiting from being a horrendously average driver in an absolutely fantastic car. Brawn have hit the nail on the head.

To be fair to JB he's actually quite a good driver, it just so happens that for most of his career he's been in a crap car. Honda have always had a lot of promise which never came to anything, but I think under the guidance of Ross Brawn they've managed to turn things around.

Nah, it's mostly the car. Granted, being proficient in that driving style helps but the car is the key.

Which is why you rarely see Schumacher listed among the greats of sport despite being so dominant (Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, etc). Still, he was the person driving the thing and he must get pissed off with people demeriting the skill that takes. Surely it's in the interest of the sport to level the playing field so that the best driver wins and I still don't understand how it got to the point where one manufacturer are/were allowed to construct a car that is far superior to another's. Is it the case that it's just a competition between manufacturers and the drivers are of secondary importance?

I'm not too hot on the technical side of things in F1, I just enjoy watching the odd grand prix if I think it'll be a good race.

To be fair to JB he's actually quite a good driver, it just so happens that for most of his career he's been in a crap car. Honda have always had a lot of promise which never came to anything, but I think under the guidance of Ross Brawn they've managed to turn things around.

I agree. However that fiasco he had a couple of years ago where he was meant to join Williams then he didn't want to because Honda looked like it had finally made a good car made him come accross quite badly I thought.

I have been hoping that he continues to do well so far though because the amount of support Hamilton got for doing well in his first two years was ridiculous. When really he came into the sport and was handed (one of) the best car(s) at the time. Most of the F1 drivers if given a McLaren in the last two years would have done pretty well.

I agree. However that fiasco he had a couple of years ago where he was meant to join Williams then he didn't want to because Honda looked like it had finally made a good car made him come accross quite badly I thought.

I have been hoping that he continues to do well so far though because the amount of support Hamilton got for doing well in his first two years was ridiculous. When really he came into the sport and was handed (one of) the best car(s) at the time. Most of the F1 drivers if given a McLaren in the last two years would have done pretty well.

I'd forgotten about the contract stuff, but yes, that did make him look quite bad, because he'd signed a pre-contract already, hadn't he?

Back then I thought he was making a huge mistake sticking with Honda, but looks like it's paid off for him after all. Williams seem to be going backwards in terms of development as they had been looking to get in amongst things this season at the detriment to last season.

You don't win the drivers championship 5 times without being a fantastic driver. I never said you had to like him you fucking spanner but you have to respect his ability for winning it that many times. I'd rather watch the best drivers in the world than not having one of the best there because you don't like him.

What was useless about it?

7 times actually, but who's counting? Schumacher to me is the best driver who's ever graced the sport (and yes I'm including Senna in that). It's not fair to say that he always had the best car - (although he was the best driver and he earned his spot at the big teams) but the Benneton wasn't the best car in 94 and 95, the Williams was. There were times in his first three seasons at Ferrari that the Ferrari was like a milk float, I remember Eddie Irvine calling it "undriveable" on a few occasions and yet Schumi was still always there or thereabouts in the championship. The McLaren's were still very competitive in 2000 when he won the title. But when he finally was in the best car, in 2001 onwards, he really showed just how immense he was, he was absolutely peerless. It wasn't just the car that won race after race, and championship after championship it was a combination of the fastest car and an absolutely untouchable driver.

In saying that, although watching Schumacher dominate the sport let you know you were witnessing a piece of history, it was fucking boring watching him winning year after year after year, and was part of the reason why I stopped watching F1 for a few seasons.

• 1 month later...

BTW the last 4 races have been absolute shit. Nice to see it's back to normal after a good start to the season. Nothing happens! They pretty much finish in the same position they were at at the end of lap 1. It's not just a lack of overtaking, there's no crashes, no blown engines, nothing!

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking last night about who would come into Ferrari. Looks like Massa is going to be out for a while, their 2 test drivers Luca Badoer and Marc Gen aren't much cop. And lets face it, they aren't challenging for anything this year so they don't need to put an Alonso or a Hamilton in that seat, so I thought they might try to persuade Schumi out of retirement. I also thought Coulthard, then realised that was probably a stupid idea. Or that guy Bourdais who just got sacked by Toro Rosso. He's struggled a bit in F1 bt he's a 4-time Champcar champion so he can't be that bad a driver.

Hope this comes off. Exciting race weekend just past, although sadly not for all the right reasons. Hope Massa manages to make a full comeback. Has Jenson blown it?

I don't know if he's blown it yet but he's going the right way. That car seems to being backwards in terms of performance. If he can get a couple more wins under his belt he'll wrap it up. The best thing that can happen for him at the moment is that McLaren and Ferrari manage to stay at the front, cos if Hamilton and Raikonnen are winning the races that means Webber and Vettel aren't.

I was just thinking last night about who would come into Ferrari. Looks like Massa is going to be out for a while, their 2 test drivers Luca Badoer and Marc Gen aren't much cop. And lets face it, they aren't challenging for anything this year so they don't need to put an Alonso or a Hamilton in that seat, so I thought they might try to persuade Schumi out of retirement. I also thought Coulthard, then realised that was probably a stupid idea. Or that guy Bourdais who just got sacked by Toro Rosso. He's struggled a bit in F1 bt he's a 4-time Champcar champion so he can't be that bad a driver.

The constant rumour of Alonso going to Ferrari and the fact Renault screwed up with his tire, screwing his chance of a podium, and have been banned from Valencia, Alonso's home race, mean that i wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso sitting in the second Ferrari in four weeks.

Hope this comes off. Exciting race weekend just past' date=' although sadly not for all the right reasons. Hope Massa manages to make a full comeback. Has Jenson blown it?[/quote']

I don't think Button has blown it, everything nowadays is more reliant on the cars then the driver. At the start of the season Hamilton was qualifying outside the top ten and ending up in the bottom half of the top ten when he finished or wasn't disqualified, he hadn't blown it, everyone realised the car was to blame.

The constant rumour of Alonso going to Ferrari and the fact Renault screwed up with his tire, screwing his chance of a podium, and have been banned from Valencia, Alonso's home race, mean that i wouldn't be surprised to see Alonso sitting in the second Ferrari in four weeks.

The problem with that is, if Piquet gets the dunt, as is widely expected, that would leave Renault with no drivers for the rest of the season.... for this reason I can't see them allowing Alonso to leave halfway through his contract.

This is either going to be a masterstroke or a disaster. Schumi may well be the best driver who ever lived, but let's not forget he's a 40 year old man now, he's been out of the game for 3 years, and he doesn't have Jean Todt and Ross Brawn behind him this time. Plus the Ferrari is a bucket at the moment. I'm surprised he's willing to risk his legacy tbh. In saying that I think he'll keep up with Raikonnen, but I don't think he'll be at the front of the grid.

This is either going to be a masterstroke or a disaster. Schumi may well be the best driver who ever lived, but let's not forget he's a 40 year old man now, he's been out of the game for 3 years, and he doesn't have Jean Todt and Ross Brawn behind him this time. Plus the Ferrari is a bucket at the moment. I'm surprised he's willing to risk his legacy tbh. In saying that I think he'll keep up with Raikonnen, but I don't think he'll be at the front of the grid.

To be honest it's not that big a deal. If he performs poorly he can just turn round and say he's a 40 year old man who's just helping out his team by filling in for his injured colleague. Then he can say the car's rubbish, Ferrari have already publicly said they're concentrating on next season anyway.

Guest Gladstone

It's like something out of a movie.

In the movies the old veteran always comes out on top.

It's quite exciting, but it might just be a massive anti-climax.

Guest droid

The best driver who ever lived,only because Senna got planted into the wall at Imola 94......IMO.

Guest Gladstone
To be honest it's not that big a deal. If he performs poorly he can just turn round and say he's a 40 year old man who's just helping out his team by filling in for his injured colleague. Then he can say the car's rubbish, Ferrari have already publicly said they're concentrating on next season anyway.

He can say that, but the point is that a massive amount of people will be expecting to see the old Schumachar back and up at the front challenging and winning races.

If (and this is logically what should happen) he doesn't start winning races in his bag of shite car, at 40 years old, out of practice etc etc, there will be a lot of disappointed people. Plus there will be young fans who have only really heard about Schumachar and how good he was, who will be disappointed.

I hope he pulls off the unimaginable and starts at least challenging for the podium. I've not watched a grand prix this year due to being busy, and well, I haven't watched many in the past few years, but I'll be tuning in in 3 weeks time for his first race just to see what happens.