aberdeen-music

Formula One 2009

Bigsby

why do you say that?

he rarely impressed anybody over the last two years... I hate to say it but drivers who haven't served their early days in europe, and have spent in US/ canada tend to be pretty crap at motorsport. where as drivers who have had unspectacular careers in f1 who move to the US tend to become big names in US motor sport

Like Mark Blundell.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you say that?

he rarely impressed anybody over the last two years... I hate to say it but drivers who haven't served their early days in europe, and have spent in US/ canada tend to be pretty crap at motorsport. where as drivers who have had unspectacular careers in f1 who move to the US tend to become big names in US motor sport

Just due to lack of decent substitutes at the moment, and the fact that he's unemployed. There aren't really many experienced F1 drivers in test roles at the moment, and 4 ChampCar championships suggests that Bourdais isn't as bad a driver as he looked in the Toro Rosso. Mika Salo as mentioned above did pretty much nothing before he deputised for Schumacher and he turned out to be a fairly decent driver when he had a good car under him.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like Renault might be in trouble....

FIA investigates race-fixing allegations - F1 | ITV Sport

Also Force India are now saying that Fisichella isn't going to Ferrari this season. Of course, a big wedge of Italian cash might help change their minds.... Badoer has to go anyway, he's absolutely hopeless. I'd have liked to have see Ferrari give someone like Liuzzi, Bourdais or Klien the chance to show what they can do in a competitive car, but never mind, I'm sure Fisi will jump at the chance to drive a Ferrari at Monza.

What do you reckon is going to happen with the seats for next year? I reckon Kovalinen, Barrichello and Raikonnen are going to find themselves on their way out. Alonso to Ferrari and Rosberg to McLaren. Kubica and Heidfeld are going to put someone out of a seat as well. Kubica to Brawn?

Test driver seems to be pretty pointless now that hardley any testing is allowed. On the strength of the last race, Force India aren't necessarily a back of the grid team - seems he would have won at Spa if the safety car hadn't come out. Worth giving up an entire season with them next year for four races in a Ferrari?

I don't think he would have won, the Ferrari was faster and had the KERS system so would have overtaken him easy enough, the reason Fisichella stayed so close was mostly due to slipstreaming (according to Anthony Davidson who knows more than I do). Possible also that Raikonnen got in front then just eased off, knowing that no-one would get past him. It's the kind of thing he would do, the lazy cunt.

Fisi was faster than Kimi last weekend. They were saying it throughout the whole race and afterwards. He had more fuel in qualifying and was keeping up with Kimi no bother. If Fisi hadn't of bunched up the pack too much at the restart and Kimi didn't have KERS then Fisi would have won. The only time the Ferrari got away from Fisi was when he deployed the KERS and Fisi would reply by closing the gap each time.

• 2 weeks later...
Renault gets two-year suspended ban - F1 | ITV Sport

What a cop-out. a 2 year suspended ban, so they basically just have to toe the line for the next two seasons. Lifetime ban for Briatore and 5 year ban for Pat Symonds, who have both quit already anyway. No fine, no racing ban, no docking points....

Not really fair, but any worse than that and they would have pulled out of F1. Renault of course have other interests, unlike Maclaren.

Worst kept secret in F1 confirmed BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Ferrari confirm capture of Alonso

Raikkonen speculated to move back to McLaren with Kubica rumoured to be heading to Renault. No word on what's going to happen to Kovalainen or Heidfield, but with the new teams coming in should be an interesting end/close season to F1.

Kovy has been consistently outperformed by Hamilton, I don't think he's ever going to be world champion material. I just wonder if McLaren have a load of Finnish sponsors or something cos I didn't really think he was worthy of that drive in the first place. McLaren do like to have a Finn in the car, Hakkinen > Raikonnen > Kovalainen > Raikonnen again.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in two minds who I actually wanted to win the title at the start of the race. On one hand, you've got Rubens, it would have been a nice way to end (I presume) his career after coming 2nd twice. On the other, you've got Jenson who I've wanted to do well for ages. In the end, especially with his drive today, I really think Jenson deserved it.