aberdeen-music

Formula One 2009

Bigsby

Brilliant drive from Jenson yesterday I'm absolutely delighted for him. He was just tearing up the track, scything through the traffic, almost Schumacher-esque!

I know he has a lot of critics - he's used up pretty much an entire lifetime's worth of good luck this season, and the second half of the season he just wasn't at the races a lot of the time - but I think he deserves his championship. His driving in the first half of the season was absolutely sublime at times, he's hardly put a wheel wrong all season and he's had some commanding victories, again almost Schumacher-esque! 6 race wins and only 1 DNF all season is the mark of a very smooth and very consistent driver with a fantastic car underneath him, and I'm delighted for him.

That said, this season was a strange one, and DEFINITELY a one-off where the big guns both managed to shoot themselves in the foot at the same time. I don't believe for a second that McLaren and Ferrari won't come out swinging next season and be right back at the front of the grid and unless Jenson ends up at McLaren alongside Lewis Hamilton, he's got no chance of retaining the title.

But for now:

f1_inline.jpg

jenson-button_1504579c.jpg

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a brilliant race, one of the best I've seen in years, try to catch the highlights if you can.

I'm glad he won, and it was a decent enough race yesterday with some good overtaking and lots of other incidents, but nothing could compare to the excitement of last year when it started pissing down with a few laps to go then LH won the championship on the last corner of the last lap, after Massa had already won the race. That was truly amazing.

Guest Gladstone
I'm glad he won, and it was a decent enough race yesterday with some good overtaking and lots of other incidents, but nothing could compare to the excitement of last year when it started pissing down with a few laps to go then LH won the championship on the last corner of the last lap, after Massa had already won the race. That was truly amazing.

I keep thinking that was more than a year ago - it seems so long since that race. The excitement of the last few laps was amazing.

I fucking missed that race. I missed a lot of the races last season, and ITV's coverage was pissing me off really badly so I went to the cinema instead.

I did sort of stop following F1 for a few years after Schumacher was winning everything, I started only watching now and again instead of watching every race. I didn't really see much of the Alonso championship years though I did watch Kimi's year. Glad I got back into it though cos when it's good it's fucking unmissable.

How pissed off is Mark Webber going to be that his win was over shadowed by Button winning the title?

Also how unlucky is Barichello getting a puncture to drop him down to 8th?

I just listened to the Radio 5 Live Chequered Flag podcast in which "David Croft rounds up all the thrills and spills of an exciting race at Interlagos".

They didn't even mention Mark Webber once.

I fucking missed that race. I missed a lot of the races last season, and ITV's coverage was pissing me off really badly so I went to the cinema instead.

It has to be the most exciting sporting event I've ever seen. Hamilton was just cruising round in 5th place, title in the bag, then the rain came down, does he stop for tyres or not, wrong decision then gets overtaken, title out the window, Massa wins race, family go mental, then Hamilton overtakes for 5th on the last corner. Amazing stuff.

There's rumours circling that Kimi Raikonnen has signed for Toyota for next year.

Motorsport.com: News channel

This article suggests that he hasn't said "no" - but that they are negotiating over money. Would be a surprising move after he said he would only go to a team that would give him a chance of winning the championship. Moving to a midfield team and helping push them to the next level might be an exciting new challenge for him and bring some of the huunger back.

If I were McLaren I wouldn't bother with him.

• 2 weeks later...
What did everyone think of Abu Dhabi then?

I myself thought it looked pretty spectacular, but all in all a pretty boring race. Not much chance of overtaking, despite two straights to follow into slipstream.

The track and facilities looked really spectacular, like a more modern Monte Carlo. However yeah as you say the race was pretty dull.

In other news, Bruno Senna has signed for Campos F1 for next season, and this bloke who looks about 14 has signed with Williams.

180px-Hulkenberg_Sepang_2006.jpg

My Dad phoned me from Abu Dhabi. A mate of his had got 2 free VIP passes through his work. Free booze, food, and a palce right above the BMW Sauber pits. Apparently he met Lewis Hamilton, and blanked Liv Tyler until she ahd walked miles past him. His words were "I've had ALOT of beer." Said it was ace.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised by this, given the length of time Mercedes has been with Mclaren, but can see why they are doing it, cheaper to support, a controlling interest, a good pedigree with Brawn as principal, not sure about the drivers yet, will be interesting to see how things work out on a level playing field.

• 2 weeks later...