aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

• 2 months later...
Only pastry on top? No pastry underneath and round the sides? Is that still classed as a pie?

I was having this discussion at work the other week. Some people get quite militant about it (i.e. my boss).

If you go to a pub and order a steak pie you usually just get pastry on top and filling underneath. Nothing around. Also if it's using puff pastry that doesn't really lend itself to an all round casing (my boss suggested shortcrust round the sides and puff on top to get around this).

In my case I couldn't be bothered with all that and I only really want the puff pastry anyway.

If it's not got pastry underneath it's a casserole with a lid. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Your pie is still a casserole You still have to cook the filling first otherwise the meat is tough. After that the amount of pastry is up to the individual.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone wants to share some recipe based sites/blogs with me? Looking specifically for stuff that's healthy/veggie/vegan i.e The Post-Punk Kitchen but with measurements in...normal...I can convert the amounts from US sites but I'd like to know if there are any UK based ones. CHEERS!

Still playing with this recipe a little bit, but it's tasty, quick and easy for a weeknight. The sauce is a little thin, and it could do with a wee splash of white wine in it I think.

Spanish Chicken

Feeds 3

Ingredients

3 chicken breasts

½ cup plain flour

100g pancetta

½ onion

½ red pepper

1 small courgette

6 tomatoes

4 cloves garlic

¾ pint chicken stock

2 teaspoons mild chilli powder

White rice

Thyme

Salt and pepper

Method

1 – Dredge the chicken in flour to evenly coat. Brown the chicken in a frying pan for 2 minutes each side.

2 – Set the chicken aside. Chop the onion, courgette, red pepper, tomatoes and garlic and fry along with the pancetta until the onions are tender. Pour in the chicken stock, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.

3 – Add the chicken to the pan. Add the chili powder, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over a low heat or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=808&filename=j0kwg.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Upvote 1