aberdeen-music

Dissapointing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Battles at ATP vs the Fans and they were a treat to watch. Not a lot of social interaction from a bunch of mathy geeks with a sense of groove but great show overall.

Interpol's third album and seeing them live at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange were both let downs. They just came across really poorly but I've been told this isn't alwasy the case. Third album had maybe two worthwhile tunes.

Have not listened to Bloc Party after seeing them live at the Music Hall. They came across really badly at that one. Just not bothered now.

I was also somewhat gutted with Shellac's last offering. Excellent Italian Greyhound starts off really well but then meanders a lot. Steady as She Goes is one of their top tunes though.

They've been gigging a lot more regularly the last couple of years and are still a top band to catch. I've never heard a band as rhythmically tight before. They do have a couple of tricks in the bag which they always pull out live (the Q&A sessions for example) but they are always entertaining and impressive.

Seeing Van Morrison live. Paying 30+ for a ticket to witness a man not sing during the first three songs, then abuse the audience with horrible astro-wank-jazz for what was an eternity. The only song I recognised was "Here Comes the Night."

I had an almost identical experience when I saw him on a double bill with Dylan in 98, although in my case the only song I recognised was Moondance.

Hands down most disappointing show for me however was in 2003. I had tickets for a charity gig with Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton at the Albert Hall. Firstly some stupid illegal immigrant bint knocked Knopfler off his motorbike, causing him serious injury and leading to the cancellation of his appearance not only at the charity gig but his entire world tour which was scheduled to start a couple of weeks later.

I had plane tickets and hotel booked anyway, so I thought I would go and see Clapton. Who did they get as a replacement for Knopfler? Nigel fucking Kennedy. Now, if he'd been playing Vivaldi or something I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. However he was in the middle of a residencey at Ronnie Scott's playing shitey jazz-violin. :down: Unquestionably the worst set I have ever had to sit through, including amateur bands in Aberdeen.

Things can only get better with Clapton, surely. However, unbeknownst to me it turns out Clapton has two different bands. His normal, "professional" band, and another band of mates. He brought the matey band this time, and proceeded to play a "fun" set of Chuck Berry covers and the like, stuff I could have heard any covers band play in Aberdeen. The only redeeming factors were getting to hear gary Brooker (who was on keyboards) sing A Whiter Shade of Pale, and he did wheel out Layla at the end of the set.

Most disappointing album has to be Come by Prince, aptly named as it is a pile of wank. I was a huge Prince fan up until that point, but learned the hard way after purchasing that album that he has some serious quality control issues. One of the tracks consists of a woman having (or perhaps faking) an orgasm. :rolleyes:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I don't care if other people hail the producers as geniuses. I think the beats are crap.

I was just expecting more. It's not a bad album, it's just not nearly as good imo as everyone says it is.

Having listened to the whole thing about 3 more times since I last typed I do confess the lyrics are off the hook, as it were.

All I'm saying is it's not just hype, these guys together have produced a pretty high proportion of the genre's most legendary tracks, certainly from that decade anyway. And I find it weird that you think it's so average, as I like to think that I have a pretty good ear for that stuff. It remains one of my all time favourite hip hop albums, anyway.

I am a massive Oasis fan ( i know most of you aren't) and seem them about 20 odd times but after listening to their latest effort (Dig Out Your Soul) i think its shite. A few of the songs i really enjoy but thats it. I think the brain is being unwashed as we speak...!

Oh, that reminds me, I was a big Oasis fan in 94/95/96, but their gig at the AECC in 97 was a huge disappointment. Didn't bother buying Be Here Now after that and haven't really bothered with them since, save for a few singles on compilation albums. Very boring band live.

Guest Giles Walker
I don't care if other people hail the producers as geniuses. I think the beats are crap.

I was just expecting more. It's not a bad album, it's just not nearly as good imo as everyone says it is.

Having listened to the whole thing about 3 more times since I last typed I do confess the lyrics are off the hook, as it were.

I bought this album in the 90s and i still regard it as one of my fave albums of any genre. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but it would help if you gave us an example of some mid nineties beats you did like.

Unless you just didn't like that beats at all in that era at all.

Also i was disappointed that you managed to misspell disappointed in the title of this thread.

I know I am. People look mortified when I repeat my account of seeing Battles. I wasn't alone though I was with three other members of this very website.

Same for Clutch though it didn't go down as badly. Stephen and Binky loved it, Neil wasn't that fussed and I thought they were a borefest. :p

see i thought clutch were good that day and for a half hour you might not have found it so boring, but they played and hour and 15 of stuff you didnt know so i can def understand that!!!

battles, dear god, where do i start. so so so so so poor. love the record. got to be in the mood for it but there is no doubt it is awesome. but live, it is sooooo wanky its incredible.

for me the biggest let down of recent times was rage against the machine comeback. saw em twice and, regardless of the second time being slightly better, it was still a horrible let down to say the least

album wise the let downs of recent times go to stay positive by the hold steady and made in the dark by hot chip. im still praying for an a hold steady album to even be fit to sit next to boys and girls in america. hot chip is just so average. 10000000000% over shadowed by how good the neon neon album is :up:

I vastly prefer Under the Black Light to Acid Tongue, but maybe I'm just a bit weird.

YES. I think Under the Black Light is better than Acid Tongue. Having listened to Acid Tongue more and more, I like it less and less. It lacks depth.

Obviously Under the Black Light was a big departure from Rilo Kiley's previous work, but that doesn't make it shite. It's not great, but it's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Obviously Under the Black Light was a big departure from Rilo Kiley's previous work, but that doesn't make it shite. It's not great, but it's nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

100% agree with this. saw rilo kiley on that tour too. songs were awesome live. really have a lot of time for the that record. much much better than the slating that it is taking on this thread!!

I've tried listening to the Hold Steady and never got into them but I'm told seeing them live can really change your opinion of them.

I quite like The Hold Steady, but Stay Positive is a definite let-down, at least on the first few listens (haven't had the stamina to go back and check it out again). Boys and Girls in America is an outstanding album though.

Stay Positive has grown on me. The first couple of listens were very disappointing, but I persevered and I quite enjoy it. No where near as good as Boys and Girls in America, but that is a bobby dazzler of an album.

yeah i think i might have came across as quite harsh

by all accounts, stay positive is a crackin wee album

if any other band had released that i think id love it but i guess im just just craving them to go one better on album thatd be in my top 20 since 2000 (thats no exageration either, anyone who has heard boys and girls... will prob back me up on simply how good an alb um it is)

I couldn't listen to any Idlewild for about a year after 'The Remote Part' came out. There are some very good songs on it but it was just so generic and shit in places that it just broke my little heart. I've made my peace with it now and just listen to everything preceding it. I couldn't even listen to the earlier albums without getting angry! Suppose there's a lesson to be learned in there about being precious about music...

I couldn't listen to any Idlewild for about a year after 'The Remote Part' came out. There are some very good songs on it but it was just so generic and shit in places that it just broke my little heart. I've made my peace with it now and just listen to everything preceding it. I couldn't even listen to the earlier albums without getting angry! Suppose there's a lesson to be learned in there about being precious about music...

I thought it was a great album. Not as good as Hope is Important but i think better than 100 BW and their latest effort.

Woah woah woah! Don't be comparing the wonders of the Hold Steady to abject horrors of Counting Crows.

The Hold Steady are more like an amalgamation of the Replacements and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

The first two Counting Crows albums are great. The Hold Steady will never do anything that'll touch those.