aberdeen-music

Orange Unsigned Act

Justin

Few bands from Aberdeen have enterted this years Orange Unsigned Act Competition

To vote all you have to do is

unsignedAct - Fan sign up

And you Get 3 Votes a Day for 3 Different Bands

Heres A few Bands From Aberdeen That Have Enterted:

unsignedAct - Acts - THE LITTLE KICKS

unsignedAct - Acts - Disco Filth

unsignedAct - Acts - Kashmir Red

unsignedAct - Acts - Right Hand Left

unsignedAct - Acts - Free Korps

unsignedAct - Acts - The Locals

It takes 2 mins to Sign up

Cheers

would it be great? It's a pretty horrible contest with a shit prize.

i don't mean to win it, just to show folks there is talent in Aberdeen. I watched it pretty religiously towards the end of it last time, and most of the bands that were any good have actually made more of themselves than the guys that won it. and alex james is on it :)

i don't mean to win it, just to show folks there is talent in Aberdeen. I watched it pretty religiously towards the end of it last time, and most of the bands that were any good have actually made more of themselves than the guys that won it. and alex james is on it :)

Surely if they didn't win it though, most people would think there isn't talent in Aberdeen?

Surely if they didn't win it though, most people would think there isn't talent in Aberdeen?

but then again, a lot of people think it's a shit contest with a shit prize, so it doesn't really matter what the outcome of it is, if you watch a band and you like them, you shouldn't be swayed by bloody jo whiley, i just think that it would be good exposure

It'd be exposure for whoever is on (good or bad), I don't see how it would be beneficial to 'music in Aberdeen.'

Knock on effect. If one band is exposed on it as being good, it might lead people to discover other Aberdeen bands, and so on. Every little helps - even if it's a shit contest with a shit prize, it surely doesn't hurt to enter?

Even if they don't win, the perception will be that you must be good in the first place to get on such a show.

• Upvote 1

Knock on effect. If one band is exposed on it as being good, it might lead people to discover other Aberdeen bands, and so on. Every little helps - even if it's a shit contest with a shit prize, it surely doesn't hurt to enter?

Even if they don't win, the perception will be that you must be good in the first place to get on such a show.

Bullshit, do you actually think that anyone who works at a half-decent record label, management company, etc, is going to get the next train up to Aberdeen because some band from Aberdeen entered a glorified battle of the bands? I'd argue that it probably does hurt to enter, being that reputation is quite a high factor in getting far in the music industry it seems, you wouldn't want to be known as 'that band from that tv show who didn't even win.'

Being 'good' doesn't even come into it - it's just about finding a marketable band that they can hopefully make a quick buck off the back of the TV show.

i have mixed feelings about this show.....but we do indeed have a page up.

clearly being from aberdeen where there is no "industry people" itd be good exposure for the band (if you can keep your dignity and not look desperate for them to like you - which were not and im sure none of the aberdeen bands are)

but the audition process / whole setup is cringeworthy!

Best Scenario for any band on it...

i think would be...

Get on there and play well, have fun and use it to let people see your stuff.

but i wouldnt take it too seriously.

probably get a few bookings out of it in other parts of the country easier.

maybe some promoters / music people would see you and like you enough to book you / help you out. And i guess if you appeared on that show even once then went and played out of town id would do no harm to the potential audience numbers of your gigs.

like richard said, if someone thought your band was worth marketing and saw you itd be a good platform and its maybe not essentially about being good - but that is after all the modern music industry after all now.

yashin absolutely gained from it - 200 people came to see them alone in aberdeen last time when they were supporting somebody and left before the headline act even came on.

(no offence to yashin - maybe ive missed the point and thats down to having a following and not tv - im maybe wrong)

anyway, good luck to the other bands and i hope they get something out of it.

I doubt youll ever see us on telly tho,

We pretty much forgot to tell anyone to vote for us bar one email mailout and one bulletin.

x

p.s - i fucking hate jo whiley and lily allen and i didnt watch last years shows at all, but if you search youtube theres a quality clip of allen having a bit of a pop at whiley for playing the same music every day but pretending to be cutting edge - quite funny

I remember seeing this show and thinking it really was quite representative of channel four's continual, cringeworthy submission to the fleeting whims of youth. Whiley and James were both embarrassing to watch, remarkable considering their supposed stature, and I remember offered increasingly banal and pointless critiques of the music on show, overly keen to justify their fees. Considering the remarkably low standard of bands on it last year, and given what I've heard of The Little Kicks, I'd imagine they would wipe the floor, however Steven suggests there is maybe something more to it than decent music:

I doubt youll ever see us on telly tho,

We pretty much forgot to tell anyone to vote for us bar one email mailout and one bulletin

So this is all basically an example of the music industry at its shitty and lowest, where 'votes' count against quality, whilst being a poor, 'alternative' imitation of X-Factor aswell.

Bullshit, do you actually think that anyone who works at a half-decent record label, management company, etc, is going to get the next train up to Aberdeen because some band from Aberdeen entered a glorified battle of the bands? I'd argue that it probably does hurt to enter, being that reputation is quite a high factor in getting far in the music industry it seems, you wouldn't want to be known as 'that band from that tv show who didn't even win.'

Being 'good' doesn't even come into it - it's just about finding a marketable band that they can hopefully make a quick buck off the back of the TV show.

Aren't 'good' and 'marketable' quite interchangable terms in general? Generally speaking, they'd be complete morons to market a bad band if good bands were available on the show.

Who is saying that the band wouldn't win? It's quite possible that with some savvy management on behalf of other bands, an Aberdeen band that won the competition could propel other bands into the limelight as a result.

You're dreadfully focused on the point that "An Aberdeen band won't win" - which is a bit of a depressing, cynical attitude to have, isn't it?

Maybe, just maybe, if Aberdeen bands entered these things with the intention to win - then maybe things would start happening beyond the same old tired "WE'VE RELEASED A 7" SPLIT SINGLE LIMITED TO 500 COPIES ON SOME RANDOM RECORD LABEL IN SUPPORT OF OUR TOUR WITH X NAME BAND" that seems to happen constantly.

Positivity!

NB : Before someone uses the old tired "it's not a talent contest, it's a popularity contest" - isn't all music, effectively, about popularity?

Aren't 'good' and 'marketable' quite interchangable terms in general? Generally speaking, they'd be complete morons to market a bad band if good bands were available on the show.

Who is saying that the band wouldn't win? It's quite possible that with some savvy management on behalf of other bands, an Aberdeen band that won the competition could propel other bands into the limelight as a result.

You're dreadfully focused on the point that "An Aberdeen band won't win" - which is a bit of a depressing, cynical attitude to have, isn't it?

Maybe, just maybe, if Aberdeen bands entered these things with the intention to win - then maybe things would start happening beyond the same old tired "WE'VE RELEASED A 7" SPLIT SINGLE LIMITED TO 500 COPIES ON SOME RANDOM RECORD LABEL IN SUPPORT OF OUR TOUR WITH X NAME BAND" that seems to happen constantly.

Positivity!

NB : Before someone uses the old tired "it's not a talent contest, it's a popularity contest" - isn't all music, effectively, about popularity?

Yes Cloud you're absolutely right, we should all just sit on our fucking arse and enter as many competitions as possible, and not bother to actually do things off our own back, y'know, like play shows and stuff? It's totally boring when bands release things and go on tour isn't it? It's even more boring when said releases are promoting said tours! I fucking hate bands who release things and tour! It's all about the competitions? Y'know, like why work at a job when you can WIN THE LOTTERY!!!!! IT COULD BE YOU!!!!

POSITIVITY!!!

Yes, all music, effectively, is about popularity. When I'm sitting at home listening to my Bruce Springsteen CDs, I'm not thinking about the music. Man! I'm thinking about WINNING THE LOTTERY AND BECOMING POPULAR!

YOU WIN AGAIN CLOUD! YOU WIN AGAIN!

The Beatles slaving away in Hamburg? Fuck that shit! They should have entered a competition!

SST busting their balls to put Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Minutemen, Black Flag, etc into the world? Releasing 7" singles and stuff? Fuck that shit! They should have gotten better haircuts in an attempt to become more popular!

• Upvote 4

Yes Cloud you're absolutely right, we should all just sit on our fucking arse and enter as many competitions as possible, and not bother to actually do things off our own back, y'know, like play shows and stuff? It's totally boring when bands release things and go on tour isn't it? It's even more boring when said releases are promoting said tours! I fucking hate bands who release things and tour! It's all about the competitions? Y'know, like why work at a job when you can WIN THE LOTTERY!!!!! IT COULD BE YOU!!!!

POSITIVITY!!!

Yes, all music, effectively, is about popularity. When I'm sitting at home listening to my Bruce Springsteen CDs, I'm not thinking about the music. Man! I'm thinking about WINNING THE LOTTERY AND BECOMING POPULAR!

YOU WIN AGAIN CLOUD! YOU WIN AGAIN!

:L

..but your absolutely right man, i feel like i started all this, so i just want to say i actually share the same view as mr milne, and when i said it was good exposure, i meant for the bands involved, i think it would be a fun experience, and you could get some good gigs down south off the back of the show, if you were interested in doing that kind of thing. but the show doesn't make the next arctic monkeys, or franz ferdinand, as it says it does on the tin.