aberdeen-music

Did anyone see me yesterday?

jf9tp2wd40

Hey folks

You probably think that I am just going to say this anyway since I am clearly biased, but OMFG the Brand New Heavies were brilliant. I knew they were a really good live band but they surpassed all my expectations. Some of the staff at Feugh were invited to go party with them at the Indig02 in London; I am damn tempted to make that trip, it would be so worth to see them again.

I would recommend that people go see them; they make it look so easy, everyone was dancing like maniacs. I was in the front row dancing away and I lost my voice on Sunday cos I shouting so much :-)

I thought it was a pretty poor turn out for BNH's. About 50% of the crowd left after Bad Manners and then another 20% left after Sandi Thom. I also thought they played like they hadn't done a gig for about 10 years (have they?). Don't get why they were even on the bill? If it had ended after Bad Manners it would have been a really good festival. The headliner needs to be someone that appeals to the majority of people next time!

BNH gig all over the world, and at regular intervals. You are right that not many people stayed until the end, but I think it was more about being past people's bed-time than about the bands. We want to be a family-friendly festival so for next year we are toying with the idea of finishing earlier. I think most other fests end at about 10/11pm.

The most positive responses I have had are about the Brand New Heavies, with Bad Manners a close second.

BNH gig all over the world, and at regular intervals. You are right that not many people stayed until the end, but I think it was more about being past people's bed-time than about the bands. We want to be a family-friendly festival so for next year we are toying with the idea of finishing earlier. I think most other fests end at about 10/11pm.

The most positive responses I have had are about the Brand New Heavies, with Bad Manners a close second.

BNH's weren't even close to being the best band of the day. The Little Kicks, Edgar Prais, Haight Ashburry and Bad Manners all blew them away completely. I think some more up to date bands would be better for next year with one big crowd puller to finish off with. You'd save a fortune! I'd rather listen to some of the amazing up and coming Scottish bands than some over the hill R&B/Jazz band who was obviously taking the piss!

Cheers for the feedback, I'm definately taking it all on board, but I have to say that you are alone (so far) in your assessment of the Heavies. I have heard some good stuff about Haight Ashbury and The Lorelei too, though I personally wasn't able to hear much of the bands. Popup really stood out for me.

You are totally right about getting up and coming bands; we have kept slots aside for band comps. We want to support local acts as much as we can, so there will always be opportunities for great local acts to play.

The totally uninspiring out of town line-up was what put me off Feugh Fest, the best bands on the list were definitely the locals.

If you'd somehow managed to get the 2 bands you were trying to stir rumours about on other message boards then it would have been a much more appealing package.

The totally uninspiring out of town line-up was what put me off Feugh Fest, the best bands on the list were definitely the locals.

If you'd somehow managed to get the 2 bands you were trying to stir rumours about on other message boards then it would have been a much more appealing package.

Yeah, the attempts to create publicity on aberdeen-mad and efestivals was embaressing - next time use a different username or be honest, i'd suggest.

The rumoured bands were a lot better than the uninspiring crap of the Brand New Heavies & the novelty joke Bad Manners.

Yeah, the attempts to create publicity on aberdeen-mad and efestivals was embaressing - next time use a different username or be honest, i'd suggest.

Lol - what a farce:

Aberdeen FC forum from footymad.net

Posted by u70jc on 24 May 2008 13:52 Complain | Prev | Next | Reply

o/t Feugh Fest ...

Just heard about a new festival out in Banchory: Line-up looks ace, is anyone going? Got my tickets today.

Guest idol_wild

I agree - I felt the line-up was extremely weak. I think the idea behind Feugh Fest is excellent, but it had absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever in the end.

But then as people have pointed out on here, the music apparently isn't very important at festivals...:rolleyes:

Cheers for the feedback, I'm definately taking it all on board, but I have to say that you are alone (so far) in your assessment of the Heavies. I have heard some good stuff about Haight Ashbury and The Lorelei too, though I personally wasn't able to hear much of the bands. Popup really stood out for me.

You are totally right about getting up and coming bands; we have kept slots aside for band comps. We want to support local acts as much as we can, so there will always be opportunities for great local acts to play.

When I say up and coming I mean bands with 250,000 hits or more on their myspace page, not 'Massey Ferguson and the Ploughs'.

Ok, so that's two negative comments about BNH and Bad Manners, but that is weighted against the dozens of compliments. Not everyone is going to like the same bands and some comments are the complete opposite from others ie. some people want more covers bands to play. It would be helpful to me if you were specific about what you didn't like about them: is it the genre of music you don't like, did you think that their performance wasn't tight enough, etc?

As for trying to spread the word about Feugh, we were in discussions with every single band that was mentioned in posts, but we decided against them in favour of more local acts. That decision has been justified by the comments here. People seem to want less big-names and more local bands.

I would love to hear people's ideas about what you want from Feugh Fest. I am typing up a survey as we speak. The link will be uploaded here and onto the festival blog, myspace, and bebo.

Thank you for all comments, positive and negative. They are all really helpful and will go towards improving things for next year.

I say fair play to u70jc for trying to drum up any interest in the Feugh Fest (although perhaps using a different username may have been advisable). At the end of the day a local Festival if organised sensibly can only be a good thing for the local music scene. Unfortunately I was unable to make it along for this years festival but I'm sure it can only go from strength to strength (with some more positive input from members of the music scene) and wish her all the best for next year.

Guest idol_wild
When I say up and coming I mean bands with 250,000 hits or more on their myspace page, not 'Massey Ferguson and the Ploughs'.

Yep, because myspace hits mean everything. :rolleyes:

Personally, I am completely indifferent to something like this. The line-up makes it look arbitrary, vague and lacking cohesion and the promoter's aggressive lust for attendees puts me right off. 'Pay some money and see some miscellaneous we-got-who-we-can-the-bigger-name-the-better music.' It reeks of family fun-day more than music festival to me; incidentally, was there a bouncy castle?

I didn't want to use a different username, as I wanted people to know it was me. Some posts were meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps that didn't come across effectively. I now make an effort to state that I am biased so I don't get accused of any deception.

I didn't want to use a different username, as I wanted people to know it was me. Some posts were meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps that didn't come across effectively. I now make an effort to state that I am biased so I don't get accused of any deception.

Come to our gig; it's ace, but by the way, I'm proper only actually after your cash, so bear that in mind whilst considering my initial statement. How about booking inspired, relevant acts and letting the event sell itself? If you want to support 'the scene in aberdeen', only put on Aberdeen bands. Something which could actually be interesting and not some kind of catch-all lamo's day out.

Come to our gig; it's ace, but by the way, I'm proper only actually after your cash, so bear that in mind whilst considering my initial statement. How about booking inspired, relevant acts and letting the event sell itself? If you want to support 'the scene in aberdeen', only put on Aberdeen bands. Something which could actually be interesting and not some kind of catch-all lamo's day out.

It's part of my job to promote Feugh Fest. I'm not going to go into details, but my motivations have never been financial. I am quite involved in the music scene both at Uni and at gigs, a lot of the work and performances I do is for free. For me, it's all about the music. Feugh Fest is about getting the best live music there is and bringing it here. I'm not going to say that we will only put on Aberdeen bands as that would make us inflexible, we will try to get whichever bands people say they want. What if one year there were no decent live bands in Aberdeen? I'm not going to pick bands just because they live here. They should get a gig based on merit, pure and simple.

I don't think that putting on bands from different genres and different places is catch-all. The common theme here is that we are aiming to appeal to people who appreciate good live music and great musicianship, and that can come from any place or any genre.

It's part of my job to promote Feugh Fest. I'm not going to go into details, but my motivations have never been financial. I am quite involved in the music scene both at Uni and at gigs, a lot of the work and performances I do is for free. For me, it's all about the music. Feugh Fest is about getting the best live music there is and bringing it here. I'm not going to say that we will only put on Aberdeen bands as that would make us inflexible, we will try to get whichever bands people say they want. What if one year there were no decent live bands in Aberdeen? I'm not going to pick bands just because they live here. They should get a gig based on merit, pure and simple.

I don't think that putting on bands from different genres and different places is catch-all. The common theme here is that we are aiming to appeal to people who appreciate good live music and great musicianship, and that can come from any place or any genre.

That's fair enough - I just think the two "big" names - Bad Manners and BNH are just irrelvant in today's music scene. Surely you could find someone to headline that was a bit better than them? Are they really the "best live music" available?

As for Sandi Thom - does she play local festivals for a fish supper & a lift home? She seems to be at Wizard one year, TITP the next week, Feugh the year after. All coinciding with her sliding into obscurity.....