aberdeen-music

British Football Team

Teabags

United Kingdom national football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Position of FIFA

The position of FIFA, football's international governing body, in the debate is seen as critical. The Scottish Football Association's opposition to the plans are rooted primarily in the fear that the Home Nations would lose their special status,[2] which is established under FIFA's constitution.[13] FIFA President Sepp Blatter had given assurances to the Home Nations' FAs that their status would not be affected by the FAs fielding a combined team in 2012, stating:

We have confirmed in writing that they have to provide a Great Britain team for the 2012 Olympics, but the four British associations will not lose the rights and privileges acquired back in 1947.[14]

Nonetheless, the SFA has made clear that its position has not changed, arguing that Blatter's personal opinion and permission may not matter once Blatter has left office, and that they do not wish to jeopardise Scotland's future position[2]. The case for the UK team may be strengthened by the decision of the Fdration Internationale de Volleyball to permit a single UK volleyball team to participate at the 2012 Games. [15] Blatter seemed to change his view in March 2008 by stating:[9]

They should enter only a team composed of players from England.

He also suggested that the independent status of the four British associations could in fact be harmed by a unified GB team, contradicting his previous statement.

• Upvote 1

I'm all for a British team (for the olympics only). I'm quite annoyed with the SFA's staunch refusal to take part in it or even listen to the idea of it. It would something different and make the olympic football tournament more interesting. Despite football being my favourite sport by far I probably watched about 3 seconds worht of coverage from the football in Beijing.

After the assurances from fifa and the fact that the olympics is only an under 23 (plus a couple of seniors) tournament anyway I don't really see any threat to the survival of the current system.

If rugby can have their Lions tours every few years and keep the seperate teams for the home nations I don't see why the football associations can't put together a British under 23 team for a couple of weeks.

Can FIFA not just write a letter to each British FA which says: "entering a GB football team in the 2012 Olympics will not harm your status as an individual nation in future competitions. Signed FIFA"?!

The only problem seems to lie in the uncertainty of this issue. The only people who can make a decision are FIFA. It's fucking boring now and I'm fed up of Gordon Smith's face.

If it does go ahead then the best eligible players should be selected irrespective of which home nation they are from.

Beyond that I don't really give a toss.

I wouldn't trust a single thing that Blatter says, he is utterly corrupt. But as said above, if we can have the British Lions, surely there is some way of making it work for football too?

I saw Alex Salmond on the news yesterday giving a totally cringeworthy response to this, even for him. Something about 'Scotland will not stand for this, the Tartan Army will not stand for it and they will send Gordon Brown homeward to think again" - *smug grin*

Twat.

Guest idol_wild
I thought they were trying to get Ferguson to do it?

No way would he tarnish his reputation by recuding himself to this.

It'd probably be Peter Taylor, or some other unachieving nonce.

Well it would at least have one of our keepers. As theirs are all ding.

If the squad is allowed a couple of seniors, I'd rather have Shay Given over anyone. I'd also have Robert Green over any Scottish keeper, however I don't know how old he is.

Although it probably proves Britain are going to crash and burn when we are considering Theo Walcott as our strongest under-23 player...

If the squad is allowed a couple of seniors, I'd rather have Shay Given over anyone. I'd also have Robert Green over any Scottish keeper, however I don't know how old he is.

Although it probably proves Britain are going to crash and burn when we are considering Theo Walcott as our strongest under-23 player...

One problem being that Shay Given isn't British....