aberdeen-music

Motown

lovers_spit

Otis Redding? Is it not true he got into singing by accident, he was a chaffeur driving an R'n'B singer to a label, when they asked him to sing thinking he was the musician?

I believe that may be true. I'm not too sure though, I've heard/read a few versions of that story. There is a pretty decent STAX documentary you can buy which has some of that story in it.

I'm not even going to look at that because I know it's going to be Jagger and Bowie. The video is a day-glo, leopard print nightmare. I love a bit of Dave so I have tried to forgive him, it's hard though...........

It might not be, it could be the Blue Jean with Richard Fairbrass in it. Except its not as Richard Fairbrass is not in the video for Blue Jean.

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, you can't beat Tears of a Clown

The Supremes, The Temptations and Martha Reeves and the Vendellas are worth a swatch too.

Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, The Temptations and the great Smokey Robinson and the Miracles oh yes...I Second That Emotion

I got a Smokey Robinson compilation (The Tracks of My Tears) a few years back which features most of the Motown great artists, but Smokey ...what a voice and a songwriter!

And don't forget the fabulous The Funk Brothers studio band were immense with the great James Jamerson. YouTube - James Jamerson

Then of course there's Stax. 60s and early 70s soul is class.

There's a program on BBC2 tonight about 11 on the Detroit scene (Motown to the Stooges).

Guest funkeebassman

The Supremes,you can't hurry love. Tammi Terrel,your all i need to get by.Four Tops,Reach out i'll be there.There is a great documentary called Standing in the shadows of Motown...also check out Jackie Wilson.:up:

right. i am all about the motown so here's what you need to do. go out and buy the DVD of 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' which is about the musicians who played on the label and received little to no credit. It's absolutely brilliant and sad at the same time. James Jamerson is my idol.

Or you can do what I like to do which is to play 'Heatwave' by Marth Reeves and the Vandellas, 'Tracks of my Tears' by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles and 'Ain't too proud to beg' by the Temptations over and over again until it hurts that you'll never sound half as good as that.

Yeah this is an excellent compilation, probably the best starting point. Simililarily check out Atlantic Gold which takes in some of the finest blues, soul and R&B from the Atlantic Records stable (including Stax Artists) in the 50s and 60s

Ray Charles is worth paying some attention, specially the stuff on Atlantic.

Wikipedia search on Soul music: Soul music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia will help you get some good ideas, just youtube.

Liking "I can't stand the Rain" sung by Ann Peables YouTube - Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain

Sly and the Family Stone are amazing, taking you into funk.

Staple Singers got some good tunes. Check them out on the Last Waltz playing with The Band singing The Weight... amazing.

Love a bit of Otis.