aberdeen-music

Regional Accents

Guest treader.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
i ALWAYS think you mean the german folk punk band when you say meursault. but you don't. and also, the german folk band...dont sound german which is cool.

Yeah, I tried to ammend lastfm and uploaded an actual picture of the good Meursault, but alas it hasn't worked.

I only just recently got a hold of some glasvegas as id been putting them off as a new NME fad band (stupid of me, I know, but the last band that i listened to on the advice of nme were hadouken...nuf said)

Anywho, I think it's about time for some pride in local accents within music. I can see it becoming tiresome but for just now I'm enjoying it.

I WID BE THA LONELY WAN, SITTIN ON MA OWN 'IN SAAAAAAD

Guest idol_wild

Anywho, I think it's about time for some pride in local accents within music. I can see it becoming tiresome but for just now I'm enjoying it.

I WID BE THA LONELY WAN, SITTIN ON MA OWN 'IN SAAAAAAD

What grinds my gears is that they accentuate it, though.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

it's obviously an attempt to draw attention away from the fact that they are otherwise 100% a carbon copy of the raveonettes. I cannot stand this fad, and it's obviously forced, any vocal coach will point out that singing is easier to do without a local accent. singing with an accent takes more effort than not doing it, hence it is totally fake.

any vocal coach will point out that singing is easier to do without a local accent. singing with an accent takes more effort than not doing it, hence it is totally fake.

Only if you want to sing about themes which have become synonymous with certain sounds. I'm sure singing a bothy ballad is easier in Doric than Standard English. All depends what you want to sing about; plenty of folk musicians use / have used dialects and accents. Similarly I don't see Blink182 singing about the beach without something of an irregular accent. What about Lily Allen etc?

Weird that we're having this conversation at all really; kind of reflects how uniform popular singing usually is. You could argue that singing in the generic rock/pop psuedo American voice itself is forced for most people.

Guest treader.

the x-certs are a prime example of it being forced though.

listen to "Listen, Don't Panic" and when Murray says "in your world"

WURULD

p.s for the record, as i've previously stated, i do actually really like the x-certs.

Guest idol_wild
the x-certs are a prime example of it being forced though.

listen to "Listen, Don't Panic" and when Murray says "in your world"

WURULD

p.s for the record, as i've previously stated, i do actually really like the x-certs.

I totally agree with this, because Murray doesn't actually speak like that at all.

It started to creep into their music a few years back though.