aberdeen-music

Drummonds Closing?

sexytunk

What happened to Opium that opened in Eskobar? Is that still going or did it shut down? I was never in but I used to quite like Esko, was busy as hell when it first opened though, and affa expensive, until the masses discovered somewhere new to go then it was empty. Much the same that happened with Amadeus and The Priory.

What happened to Opium that opened in Eskobar? Is that still going or did it shut down?

It shut down. The guy went bust, partly due to him trying to do the place up without planning permission then running out of time and money for the retrospective planning permission he did get which had a 6 month limit on it.

It shut down. The guy went bust, partly due to him trying to do the place up without planning permission then running out of time and money for the retrospective planning permission he did get which had a 6 month limit on it.

So is it half-renovated? It'sll probably need work to get it back up to being operational again....

the best thing about drummonds is not having to pay to hire out the venue to put on shows. which is not the case with the tunnels is it?

I hope that doesn't change. Otherwise local shows WILL take a hit. No doubt about it.

why would they? it doesnt cost very much to hire the tunnels and if youve got people paying at the door its easy to cover. Why should someone who is putting on gigs get to use a place for free? doesnt make very good buisness sense.

why would they? it doesnt cost very much to hire the tunnels and if youve got people paying at the door its easy to cover. Why should someone who is putting on gigs get to use a place for free? doesnt make very good buisness sense.

Because they're making money off the bar sales. That's the only reason I can think of.

Because they're making money off the bar sales. That's the only reason I can think of.

precisely, and there could be a deal set up to take a % of door profit, as opposed to a flat out fee.

maybe it's changed. but i had a feeling tunnels wasn't that cheap at all to hire out. Somewhere in the region of 500? something like that? but i could be well wrong with that.

precisely, and there could be a deal set up to take a % of door profit, as opposed to a flat out fee.

maybe it's changed. but i had a feeling tunnels wasn't that cheap at all to hire out. Somewhere in the region of 500? something like that? but i could be well wrong with that.

It's like 60 for tunnels and you get a sound engineer. Bargain imho.

It's like 60 for tunnels and you get a sound engineer. Bargain imho.

That sounds more like it. Look at some of the gigs that happen at the tunnels (and the fact room 2 gets used a lot for private parties). They'd never happen if it cost 500 for the room.

As much as I like Drummonds, it's not a perfect venue by a long shot... it really needs to get some air con. I've walked out on numerous occasions because I've been on the verge of fainting.

Apparently they cant leave the windows/doors open whilst bands are playing due to the noise.

Whatever happens - Lets hope the management do something about this. Even since the smoking ban, the atmosphere in there is the one thing that really puts me off going - I've come out of there suffering badly before, esp from the stage smoke. I now never go there without strong anti-allergy tablets.

And could they tidy the bogs up a bit please. :up:

Guest idol_wild
I dont think Tunnels would have a business if rental fee's were like that, its about 50-60

Usually 100 on Fridays and Saturdays though.

The Tunnels is the best venue in Aberdeen, it'd be interesting to see what they did with Drummonds. I suggest a refurbishment and new clientele.

The Tunnels is the best venue in Aberdeen, it'd be interesting to see what they did with Drummonds. I suggest a refurbishment and new clientele.

What kind of clientele, though? It's on Belmont Street - you're not going to attract a sophisticated, cultured crowd there on a Friday night, are you?

Guest idol_wild
What kind of clientele, though? It's on Belmont Street - you're not going to attract a sophisticated, cultured crowd there on a Friday night, are you?

I don't even mean sophisticated or cultured - just a level above troglodyte would suffice.

Whatever happens - Lets hope the management do something about this. Even since the smoking ban, the atmosphere in there is the one thing that really puts me off going - I've come out of there suffering badly before, esp from the stage smoke. I now never go there without strong anti-allergy tablets.

And could they tidy the bogs up a bit please. :up:

we always make sure (at least ask) that the dry ice machine stays off for the whole show. It is awful on stage as well.

Usually 100 on Fridays and Saturdays though.

fair enough. maybe that figure included the bar and other (door) staff as well. or maybe i just plucked it out of the ether. I definitely remember that that was a quote given to us though one time when we were looking to put a gig on there.

Anyway, I'll concede that point as i have no real info to back it up.

but best venue in aberdeen? I don't think so.

The best venue in terms of PA, treatment of bands, etc is Lemon Tree. LOVE playing there. After that moshulu is a good VENUE...if you can get the people through the door. and i also think Drummonds is a good venue.

The sound at Tunnels is usually butters UNLESS that sound girl is doing the sound. (I apologise I'm afraid I don't know her name) but she has the accoustics in that place nailed and gets a good sound. Any touring sound guys have a fucking nightmare getting a good sound in there. Its funny.

fair enough. maybe that figure included the bar and other (door) staff as well. or maybe i just plucked it out of the ether. I definitely remember that that was a quote given to us though one time when we were looking to put a gig on there.

Anyway, I'll concede that point as i have no real info to back it up.

but best venue in aberdeen? I don't think so.

The best venue in terms of PA, treatment of bands, etc is Lemon Tree. LOVE playing there. After that moshulu is a good VENUE...if you can get the people through the door. and i also think Drummonds is a good venue.

The sound at Tunnels is usually butters UNLESS that sound girl is doing the sound. (I apologise I'm afraid I don't know her name) but she has the accoustics in that place nailed and gets a good sound. Any touring sound guys have a fucking nightmare getting a good sound in there. Its funny.

you havent been recently then have you?

waka waka