aberdeen-music

Band harassment.

Guest Ibid

Guest Ibid

I've come across recently in the North East, an element who seem to be into harassing bands as they play.

In one incident, I was watching a good local cover band, when a guy in the audience handed the singer a piece of paper with the words "You're shite. Why don't you go home." on it. In an another incident, I was watching a good, young original band from Kinloss, when some dick stood in front of the singer and began chanting "You're shite, you're shite, you're shite..." until the bass player felled him with a fine clout from the headstock of his bass.

It's quite usual for cover acts to have fretwankers and scenesters whining at them for not writing original songs, but they're never abusive and always wait till the end to moan.

Quite a few acts have told me of this happening more and more.

Has anyone on here experienced this sort of thing?

so, Bill from the Mighty human genrator has been to a few gigs recently ?

he he...

He certainly gave edinburgh's "the 55's" a good heckle...

"hey min, turn roon, and punch yer drummer in the face....twice"

"stop injecting speed into yer eyeballs, and practice yer songs"

"tell us a joke" ("we don't know any good jokes") "they cannae be as bad as your music"...

etc...

he he , always entertaining , if you are not on the recieving end!

The one time I ever "heckled" a band, was actually during king liar and the brutes.

(it wasn't even really heckling...)

Someone shouted out "show us your bollocks!"

And I then shouted "They've been showing us they're bollocks for the last 15 minutes!"

I thought it was funny but I got dirty looks from their friends...

it was only a joke ;(

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

The one time I ever "heckled" a band, was actually during king liar and the brutes.

(it wasn't even really heckling...)

Someone shouted out "show us your bollocks!"

And I then shouted "They've been showing us they're bollocks for the last 15 minutes!"

I thought it was funny but I got dirty looks from their friends...

it was only a joke ;(

The brutes themselves were fairly dishing out the heckles at Open Mic Night last night...

Originally posted by John Fashanu:

The guy from XS Relocat heckled the X-Certs for a whole show at Drakes once, can't remember what was said though...

Biz is the king of the obscure heckle. It is always well meant as far as I know. There's a fine line between comedy heckling and abuse though.

Yeah I heckle,but not to be nasty.I usually only heckle bands who I like,and I do not interrupt songs with inanities,I always wait till the embarrasing silence has gone on too long,then strike with a quick quip,thus diffusing the audiences boredom,and setting the band up for some cheecky banter back.

If I genuinely do not like a band I simply leave and go and see another band elsewhere,I do not waste time on shite bands.

My real reason for heckling is to develop some sort of rapport between the band and audience,and usually the bands like being given the oportunity to communicate on a more personal level with the audience.

I did apologise profusely to the King Liar keyboard player ,and had a great chat with him and Sam , the joke went a wee bit too far,but that was more my problem than his,me being a bit of an arsehole because I was drinking on an empty stomach,NOT to be recommended.

Some bands deserve to have fun poked at them as they truly believe they are wonderful,but I think that it is worth pointing out that if they can not take a joke they will not get very far,NOT EVERYONE is your friend or relative,and personally I am pretty sick of being told I am excellent by drunks,when I clearly am not.

True fans will point out your weakest points and try to help you get better,but some of the more egocentric bands think they know it all and try to act as if they are superstars,the real superstars are the Dave Dixons and Ash Karloffs of the world ,folk who can put on a great show and retain their sense of humour,endearing themselves to the audience.And they dont strut around the streets acting as if they are somebody special,even though they are.

Unfortunately the word HECKLE has come to be known as a put down,but it does not have to be like that,as I say I do not waste time telling folk they are shite, if I truly believe they are shite,I simply leave.Heckling can be great fun and my band XS RELOCAT have encouraged heckling since the first gig,but we look pretty dangerous,so most folk are probably a bit scared,having played in pub bands for years I have grown very fond of the hecklers and have made some great friends because of it,that's cos I like people who are honest enough to tell you what they really think. GO ON hae a wee heckle it's only a laugh.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Originally posted by psydoll:

I'd like to see some arsehole heckling Spike while standing right in front of them - would that be in the middle or at the end of a song? :D

I'd like to see them be able to heckle at warpspeed, which they'd have to do during a song. We got heckled at our last gig by a totally drunk Glaswegian lady, which was great as it was a cue for lots of unscripted between-song banter. I've since seen the camcorder footage and she made the gig, she really did. She wanted us to play 5 minute songs! I told her if 40 seconds wasn't long enough for her, she'd been spoilt. That got the biggest laugh of the night, so hecklers have their place!

i hav been heckled a few time the best bit is someone can only say a certain amount of things that i usually hav a repl for...but i didnt expect the abuse i got one night in drummonds by some dude who jus shouted out 'i am goin 2 lob this pint glass at u if u dont stop playing the chilli's cover!'