aberdeen-music

industrail "music"

lepeep

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail

Suggest folks check out Flux Of Pink Indians second full length "The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks". Judged by many to be largely unlistenable, and following in the footsteps of Crass with their opus "Yes Sir I Will", this was Flux's industrial piece. It is said that they chose this direction so as to push folks to pay a greater attention to their political message. Unfortunately, it sold just a few thousand copies.

Einsturzende Neubauten rock my world and were fantastic live in London this year. Pretty much all the others I rate have been mentioned! Typical, though - I bugger off for a few days and come back half way through a decent industrial thread ;) I'd add in (if they've not been said already) TG, RevCo, Swans, Thrill Kill Kult, Cubanate, Snog, Pigface, CNN, Young Gods, Sheep On Drugs, Nitzer Ebb, Die Krupps, Nerve, Strapping Young Lad and KMFDM.

One thing I do notice is most of the bands mentioned are reasonably old (nae a bad thing, just odd). So anyone got any newer industrial bands to recommend? The obvious (to me, anyways) is OhGr, I guess. Panic DHH sound very Industrial to my ears, but does DHR qualify as Industrial?

*coffcoff* Elizium's been playing a lot of industrial over the last few months...

Originally posted by lepeep:

I never did get intot he noise aspec of "early industrial"...any one reccomend some early industrial to get started on ?

(that throbbing gristle remix LP looks like a winner...)

EN are rereleasing their early recordings in June, from what I've got it could be a winner.

Originally posted by Sky:

A comment like that would probably get you shot in certain circles; the "are NIN industrial or aren't they?" question has flared up numerous times in numerous places, and it's a very contentious issue. Personally, I'd say they are industrial at times, though not strictly industrial. The best description of them I ever read (in reference to Pretty Hate Machine was that they wrote pop songs and performed them in an industrial style, which I think is accurate.

].

Oh, totally I agree. But they were my (and I assume a LOT of people's) portal into the steamy, neony world of "industrial".

[

I have Millennium, Gashed Senses And Crossfire and Caustic Grip, and I like them, but can't help feeling that they're all very much "industrial-by-the-numbers". FLA are good, but they're pretty unimaginative; for that reason, I haven't actively sought-out their later works.

As for Front 242, I've only heard Pulse, and I loved it. But I think that 242 would classically be referred to as EBM, rather than straight industrial, though I may be wrong.

As for industrial, you can't beat a Einstrzende Neubauten. And am I right in thinking that Cabaret Voltaire are classed as first-wave industrial? They are utterly fantastic, especially 2X45.

Totally disagree about FLA being unimaginative - take a listen to those basslines man - Bill Leeb is such a great programmer! The lyrics are cheesy at times. But check out the Blade remixes and Tactical Neural Implant and then check out the Plasticity single. As for "industrial-by-numbers" take a look at their history, they've been around quite a while and were a part of early Skinny Puppy. Funny to think FLA are the same dudes behind Delerium who plagued the charts for months. Just hope they tour again as they are amazing live - there was about 9 of them last time with 4 guitarists!!

Your right F242 are EBM but the goths love them too! Pulse is alright but its kinda boring too - Front By Front and Tyrany for You are tremendous albums. They are another amazing live band that play re-worked versions of old tunes and add a harder twist to them almost remixing on the sport plus you canny beat see these old geezers jumping around in their baseball hats. No way could you stand still at one of their gigs.

My Industrial recommendations for this month are

TG NOW

New Skinny Puppy album

Portion Control Welcome

Ill happily record them for you

Originally posted by nullmouse:

does DHR qualify as Industrial?

Digital Hcore Records - well thats a hard one. They, like Tigerbeat 6, seem to do pretty well at avoid being classified as one genre or not.

When does industrial music become D n Bass or gabba or metal / grindcore / thrash or even Krautrock ? Should we care or just carry on buying albums ?

Dave

Originally posted by ragudave:

Digital Hcore Records - well thats a hard one. They like Tigerbeat 6 seem to do pretty well at avoid being classified as one genre or not.

When does industrial music become D n Bass or gabba or metal / grindcore / thrash or even Krautrock ? Should we care or just carry on buying albums ?

Dave

I personally don't find labels affect what I buy, so I don't mind labels at all :)

Thinking about it, DHR have self-labelled their own genre, pretty much how Industrial Records started off the industrial tag. I've not heard any other band get referred to as DH that's not been on DHR yet, though - Anyone else?

nullmouse,

I had "Halber Mensch" on vynil, but I gave it away to someone who would appreciate it more than I, cos I am a kind person...*boo hoo*...

I hear EN were on CSI the other night (when they were digging up a motel, looking for a murder victim)...

it worked so well, with the mood...

I loved headcleaner, fucking blasting track, could give godflesh a run for their money !

I must say, I gave up on FLA after they released mellenium, I have all their old stuff (mid phaser, great LP)...much of my "industrial" stuff seems to be from around 1992 - 1996, because It felt that either industrial stuff moved to "noise", or became electronica (the type of music I was looking for)...

Originally posted by lepeep:

nullmouse,

I had "Halber Mensch" on vynil, but I gave it away to someone who would appreciate it more than I, cos I am a kind person...*boo hoo*...

I hear EN were on CSI the other night (when they were digging up a motel, looking for a murder victim)...

it worked so well, with the mood...

I loved headcleaner, fucking blasting track, could give godflesh a run for their money !

Tabula Rasa is being reissued next month, too! A double CD uber-package. I think you can buy it in advance of the official release date from the Mute website.

I heard about the CSI thing as well, my flat mate recognised it was them but couldn't isolate the track.

Max Brody from Ministry sent me a copy of a desk recording of Ministry back in the "Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste" era recorded from a gig in Omaha. It has a couple of Pailhead numbers in the set, and even a Skinny Puppy cover :]

Meester Eeelizeeum, I have a copy of it for you and Jaymz waiting, I just haven't had the time or opportunity to come to an Elizium for some time now. Sometime soon, I hope :)

Originally posted by Rob Karloff:

Meester Eeelizeeum, I have a copy of it for you and Jaymz waiting, I just haven't had the time or opportunity to come to an Elizium for some time now. Sometime soon, I hope :)

Thanks Rob! You are like a stream of bat piss...

... I merely mean you shine out like a ray of gold when all around is dark.