aberdeen-music

EMO - Emotionaly charged DUMP!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Craig
Originally posted by metallica_jaco:

who started the emo revolution? Emo music is so bad, i want to start a campaign against emo! Its the worst genre ever. Bands like Funeral For A Friend and Finch are the worst bands on the planet, and how can people be inspired by this rubbish!! ARGGHHHHH :swearing:

small town country life starting to get at you?

"my opinion is better than yours"

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by metallica_jaco:

how can people be inspired by this rubbish!!

same could be said of Metallica.

if you don't like Emo, don't listen to it.

ranting about it on a message board ain't gonna make it go away.

True scott, but you couldnt say that about Metallica (possibly the most influencial / inspiring metal band ever) with a straight face.

He does have a point in that there is no inspiriration in todays music, everyones approach to guitar / bass playing is fucking weak.

Oh and yeah, a thread about emo wont make it go away :) for that you need a gun and a LOT of bullets!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Originally posted by bryn:

Oh and yeah, a thread about emo wont make it go away :) for that you need a gun and a LOT of bullets!

Fine by me, emo is a fucking disgrace and nothing more than an elaborate attempt to get laid. Ranting about it may not make it go away but my God, it feels good to slag it. The more it is shown up for the farce that it is the better. It's not the music as such, more the whingeing and snivelling and general all-round self-pity that some people are only too keen to indulge in. If things are that bad, just remember you're not living in Iraq or Afghanistan. Things are pretty grim out there and I see no emo there. Stop moaning and fucking deal with it! These crybabies don't know they're born.

Emo people are full of shit, and those haircuts - can they not see that their new 30 emo mullets will look painfully bad in a few years. They will look back and cringe in the same way 80s, synth-pop cheesemongers from TOTP2 must do.

All I will say is 'I told you so.....' :finger:

Originally posted by Jakey Spike Boy:

Fine by me, emo is a fucking disgrace and nothing more than an elaborate attempt to get laid. Ranting about it may not make it go away but my God, it feels good to slag it. The more it is shown up for the farce that it is the better. It's not the music as such, more the whingeing and snivelling and general all-round self-pity that some people are only too keen to indulge in. If things are that bad, just remember you're not living in Iraq or Afghanistan. Things are pretty grim out there and I see no emo there. Stop moaning and fucking deal with it! These crybabies don't know they're born.

Well said Jake:stupid:

Saying emo is wussy whining music for nerds who can't get laid is like saying metal is for neaderthal thugs who are stiil virgins and living with their parents - yes, both sterotypes contain elements of truth, but are FAR from the real picture.

I fail to see why Finch get the brunt of it though - there are far worse offenders, and Finch can slay when they need to....

I dont really mind emo particularly. I wouldnt choose to sit down and listen to it but if i heard an emo band when i was out it wouldnt bother me, but maybe that proves a point - it doesnt make any impact on me so it must be weak in some way.

Being an emo kid is fine as long as your mind isnt closed to the other (often better) stuff thats on offer.

Guest phoenix_down

well i like emo....but i also like lots of different kinds of music (as can be seen in my listening to section) so yer...this was pointless

Originally posted by Jakey Spike Boy:

well said u legend.:cheers: screamo can go and die

okay - next time you cry, i'll give you a slap no matter what the reason. no one is allowed to feel sad unless they are in iraq. yes? comparisons like that are so exaggerated, they don't actually mean anything.

as for jakey spike boy - do you actually have a taste in music or can you only be defined by "i hate emo"? hating an entire genre just shows your ignorance of that genre, and probably a narrow minded view of music in general, nothing else!

Aye, I don't mind listening to some emo ish type music, but I don't go out and buy cd's or anything.

I straightened my hair to "emo kid style" and it looked awesome!

And I think jakey spike boy was refering to these people being crybaby wusses over shit that doesn't matter, like a plastic bag killing an ant or something like that, as opposed to soldiers and civilians dying in these other places.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Originally posted by Bee:

okay - next time you cry, i'll give you a slap no matter what the reason. no one is allowed to feel sad unless they are in iraq. yes? comparisons like that are so exaggerated, they don't actually mean anything.

as for jakey spike boy - do you actually have a taste in music or can you only be defined by "i hate emo"? hating an entire genre just shows your ignorance of that genre, and probably a narrow minded view of music in general, nothing else!

I do indeed have a taste in music, not the widest range, I'll grant you that but I really love what I'm into. I wasn't saying people aren't allowed to feel sad, but there's no need to wallow in it and try to make it everyone else's problem. the anti-emo thing is an in-joke that's getting a bit out of hand. Don't take everything so seriously. Or is that emo? Could someone please explain the essence of the emo thing? Maybe I've got it wrong. Tell me why if I have.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Originally posted by feeble!:

Aye, I don't mind listening to some emo ish type music, but I don't go out and buy cd's or anything.

I straightened my hair to "emo kid style" and it looked awesome!

And I think jakey spike boy was refering to these people being crybaby wusses over shit that doesn't matter, like a plastic bag killing an ant or something like that, as opposed to soldiers and civilians dying in these other places.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. There's people dying of starvation in this world, but some people are so selfish all they can focus on is their angst and inner pain. Come on!

Thank god. I read the first few posts in this thread, and I'm fucking glad that not everyone shares those opinions. Well done to those defending emo as a musical genre. I'm not saying anything about fashion, hair, clothes, etc (some 'true' emo bands make me sick with the way the make themseves a stereotype), but the music generally referred to as 'emo' is as good as any other genre. I hate how people rip the piss out of anyhtign that they think is emo. I would say Brand New are an emo band. They don't dress like it, or look like it, but their music in my eyes qualifies. And I think they are excellent. I don't think people should write-off whole genres just because of a stereotype.

Totally agree:

|

|

V

Originally posted by medichi:

Saying emo is wussy whining music for nerds who can't get laid is like saying metal is for neaderthal thugs who are stiil virgins and living with their parents - yes, both sterotypes contain elements of truth, but are FAR from the real picture.

Wow. I'm surprised I can give such a rant. I'm not really into emo, but I still feel I have to defend it when people attack it like that.

I really don't care. One thing which confuses me how people call "emo" a genre, but the amount of music i hear that gets labelled emo is crazy. Im guessing emo isn't a genre as a result. It seems to me that anything people don't like gets called emo. Emo is almost just the "in" word. Its a phase and will end just like the 80s did. Fortunately i will be able to honestly tell my children that i stayed well clear of the emo path.

PS One thing that IS emo, is 3/4 length shorts. Sorry guys, but when i see those shorts i really want someone to beat my head into the ground with a baseball bat.

the way i see it, is if a kid gets into stuff like Funeral for a Friend (who i like by the way), they start reading interviews with said band, who state influences like Matt in a recent Rock Sound who said his favourite bad were Gorilla Biscuits. Now it's a small start, but many kids may get into gorilla biscuits becaue of this article, in the same way that a lot of not emo emo bands these days may quote - fugazi, minor threat, far etc as influences. kids will get intothese bands through the new crop of bands. sure, not every person who listens to funeral for a friend will pick up a quicksand album, but some might. hell, funeral for a friend took the haunted on tour, introducing legions of fans to them - no bad thing surely?