aberdeen-music

Moshulu - Where does everyone go? - terrible music!

Johnny Mac

I think.... (snip) ....out.

Well said that man.

Personally I hope those in charge of Moshulu are paying attention to this thread as I don't think it's coming out as a bitch-fest, but more just a bunch of people who are getting a bit frustrated at seeing their favourite club going downhill so fast. Far from being 'this is shit, that is shit, I'm not going back', it's more 'this I'd what I'd like to see in the future'.

I've been frequenting 'Shulu since the Palace went belly up back in about 2001 or whenever, and over the past 6 or 7 years I've had some amazing nights, I've got some great memories and I've made some lasting friendships there - but I think it's time for a change, as it's been exactly the same for the past 6 or 7 years. The first thing that puts me off going on a Friday night these days is the music. Of course I like rock / metal / whatever or I wouldn't go in the first place, but it's not only been the same kind of music, or the same bands over the past few years, but the same songs! Every Friday night! Of course the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but at the same time if the product is starting to go stale you really have to mix it up a bit.

The other thing that really puts me off the place is just the general appearance and atmosphere. It's just so dark and dingy. It kinda suits it on Friday nights, but the indie nights on a Saturday, apart from the dance floor, the whole place just feels black, if you know what I mean. I've got some photos from in there a few Saturdays ago, and behind everyone, in every photo, is just a wall of blackness. Up beside the bar, over in the seated areas, it's just dark and dull. It needs a bit of colour and a bit of light, some nice decoration, every thing just seems to be black and so dark, and when it is lit up it's just with normal white light. I took a few mates down recently on a Saturday night who hadn't been in in years, promising them it was like a bigger version of Exo now they have decent music on a Saturday night, but it just felt like a goth club playing trendy music, it didn't work at all.

And yeah, that carpet is awful, it's like walking in treacle. And the toilets are grim. But at the end of the day, if people choose to piss all over the toilet floor and smash up the crappers, there's not much they can do about that. :love:

I don't know what the big fuss is about Friday nights, I've started going to them again pver the past few months and they've been shit hot. The DJ will play just about anything you request - providing it's relatively known, seeing as it is a Friday - and other than the gratuitous carpet complaints (lifting your toes up before your heels means you don't stick to the floor) my biggest gripe would be the ridiculous cost of going there.

4/5 to get in is OK, but because there's already hundreds coming through the doors why not make it two quid and attract more people, which would make more money from the next issue... Drinks prices, don't know whether this is because I mostly drink in the Moorings & TKs/Exo but in Moshulu anything other than flat beer in the plastic cups is vastly overpriced!

i think a lot of the problem with moshulu is not so much the club, but the people that go.

we all grow up and we begin to like slightly different things, and whilst we still poignantly cling to our desire to drink in what some would once call an unorthodox or alternative establishment. at the same time however, we also like more ambient conventional venues with their convenience. peoples' tastes change.

as for the music issue, well i see it as this: you have a golden period in your life musically when much of the music you love is played at clubs, and after that, you just appreciate hearing songs you love when they are seldom played. when i first started going to the palace in 96/97 that was my golden period, marilyn manson, nine inch nails, RATM, the prodigy, and if you were lucky some tool! then i began to complain about all the ska music they played, then i began to complain about all the limp bizkit they played (once they played 7 limp bizkit songs in a night, fuckers). you always need a minimum of 2 or 3 tracks you like to be played i think but if you don't get that then a night begins to lose its appeal.

the money issue is a tricky one. i appreciate why the ask a door charge when they are only open a few nights a week, although i always took offence when they raised the door charge on christmas eve, halloween, etc. etc. it seems hard to believe we used to get pints for a pound - and if i were still in aberdeen and going to a club, i'd prefer one that i didn' pay for if the drinks cost the same, obviously. one of the main reasons we went to palace/moshulu was that the door charge was balanced by the discounted drinks cost.

i kind of gave up on moshulu in the end, these days i prefer standing in a bar talking to people till the end of the night than getting a sore ear from people spitting and shouting in my ear and a hoarse throat from speaking above the volume of the music. if i want penetrating music i will go to snafu these days. better music, venue and sound system :)

• Upvote 1

I think RATM have no place in a clubnight anyway. They are not very danceable and the "dancing" they do encourage is generally a group of neanderthals bashing into their mates and other people, which is just bad manners.

There is a no moshing policy in Moshulu now anyway. Those who were at the 'Flood of Red' gig will know what happens when you try.

I have two friends who were thrown out of As I Lay Dying.

One was moshing.

The other tried to walk to the toilets and got told "you've been pushing your luck all night". Except he had arrived about 30 seconds prior to this.

Last night was the first time I've been sober enough in Moshulu to notice the floors- I was disgusted. Other than that, and the pricey drinks, I had a really good time there.

I've not been at all this year. The toilets definately need a refurb, they are disgusting. Last few times I have been I have paid 6 to get in, which I think is a bit much.

Wendesday - Free before 12/2.50 after.

Friday - 2.50 before 12/4 after.

Saturday - Free before 12/4 afterwards.

Unless it was a gig, you didn't pay 6.

There's normally a gig on Saturday nights though, isn't there? So although it might be free before 12, if there's a gig on you rarely get in there much before then. I've been charged 5 on Saturdays on a number of occasions even after a gig has finished.

I'm not complaining, I don't mind paying to get in, especially on Saturdays, I really like the mix of people with Air Guitar in the back room and Adventures in the front. It's an interesting blend