aberdeen-music

The Xcerts MTV Spanking New Session..

Murray

to the total idiot slating the x-certs:

an aberdeen band is doing really well - be more supportive.

If geographical location had any bearing on music atall you would all be playing the fiddle and singing bothy ballads, instead of forming bands like the xcerts which just imitate the weedy north american pop acts you've seen on telly.

I could understand this attitude if there was some kind of original, daring, groundbreaking sound coming out of Aberdeen but a bunch of spotty, naive kids playacting their pop music fantasies is just not something that deserves that kind of credit.

they obviously can to some degree,if they are selling thousands of records, even if wankers are buying them.

enough of the musical snobbery, not everyone is as talented as you.

NB: I hate the View, but I also hate these off-topic ramblings

It's not off-topic, someone brought up the recent profile of the 'music scene' in Dundee (obviously refering to the view and their ilk), as an example of what the x-certs getting on MTV could do for aberdeen's bands/musicians.

And no they can't, seriously; you wouldn't have to be anywhere near as technically able as I (not that I'm necessarily even good... and I make no claim to being 'talented') to be a lot better than the View. It's inexplicable why people buy the view's records, as I hinted at earlier there's probably a dozen bands in Dundee alone more deserving of success.

It's not off-topic, someone brought up the recent profile of the 'music scene' in Dundee (obviously refering to the view and their ilk), as an example of what the x-certs getting on MTV could do for aberdeen's bands/musicians.

And no they can't, seriously; you wouldn't have to be anywhere near as technically able as I (not that I'm necessarily even good... and I make no claim to being 'talented') to be a lot better than the View. It's inexplicable why people buy the view's records, as I hinted at earlier there's probably a dozen bands in Dundee alone more deserving of success.

Inexplicable? I think not. The general public will always have a place in their hearts for the good old fashioned cliche ridden British indie-rock band consisting of crap leather jackets, laddism, working class "grit", casual consumption of hard drugs, dull "anthemic" everyman's guitar heavy music and pointless destructive behaviour (vandalising hotel rooms).

If being able to tell what key a song is in is what you want from music, you shouldn't be allowed to listen to music.

hahaha, that doesn't make any sense. When I am jamming with a band and they expect me to play along to a song of their's I've never heard before, I expect them to be able to tell be what key it is in.

you just don't know what you're talking about.

I was being pretty tongue-in-cheek in the last post, obviously I do not think knowing about keys makes you Steve Vai!

It's just the two sides of the musician coin though, some people know about keys and scales, some people just batter away at instruments. I'm a batterer.

Anyway this has gone so off topic it's a joke (for the record, The X-Certs are more than competent musicians).

To start off with its The Xcerts, not the X-certs as they used to be called.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion; however some constructive criticism would be more appropriate than calling them weedy kids trying to sing badly.

Also I was disappointed when I read that the same person was making childish remarks like calling them spotty kids. I dont see how this is relevant or even needed?

When I log onto the Aberdeen Music Forum and read the long and interesting threads on this site, all I see is people concluding that the Aberdeen Music Scene is going spiralling down to a dark place and it has been for a long time. Whether it is venues closing or threads praising other bands from other locations around the world it always seems to be Another piece of evidence why the scene is dying or Why cant we produce bands like this. Im not saying that yeah we should love bands just because of their geographical location, but if everyone thinks the scene is going down the drain then why cant we maybe show a bit of support to a band who has somehow, out of somewhere managed to get from playing empty gigs in kef and such to playing on MTV, getting airplay on radio 1 and appearing in large music magazines tipping them for big things in 2008.

I am sure the Xcerts still hold Aberdeen very close to their hearts and personally I can only see The Xcerts success as a huge positive to the Aberdeen Music Scene. Basically if the Xcerts continue the way they are going, then I am sure this will only promote Aberdeen as a place still capable of producing high quality bands.

Even if you are not a fan of The Xcerts music (which is fair opinion), you should be reading this thread and understanding that The Xcerts are a great influence to kids in Aberdeen and they are proof that Aberdeen is still capable of creating something special.

Plans of the first Xcerts album in 2008? Personally, I cannot wait:]

Guest Steven Dedalus
can't play. at. all.

Neither could Pavement, and that didn't stop them becoming the best band of all time!

Yaay!

Anyway, fair play to the X-Certs (or however it's spelt).

Having known Murray and Jordan for a long time, I think it's very heartening to see them doing what they always set out to do.

I know they would probably cringe if they ever heard me say this, but I've watched them grow and develop for a long time, discovering more and more music, refining what they do, and getting better and better.

I'll go on the record and say that it's not particularly the kind of music that I'm into, but knowing them, if they can keep it together, they will develop and make interesting things happen.

Neither could Pavement, and that didn't stop them becoming the best band of all time!

Yaay!

Anyway, fair play to the X-Certs (or however it's spelt).

Having known Murray and Jordan for a long time, I think it's very heartening to see them doing what they always set out to do.

I know they would probably cringe if they ever heard me say this, but I've watched them grow and develop for a long time, discovering more and more music, refining what they do, and getting better and better.

I'll go on the record and say that it's not particularly the kind of music that I'm into, but knowing them, if they can keep it together, they will develop and make interesting things happen.

yea! what he said. though seriously, if you don't like them fair enough. i don't get why people are jumping on folk just for daring to not like the xcerts. sheesh. like steven i've known murray and jordan for years as they seemed to live in one up and they're damned good guys who have worked hard for their success and fair play to em.

but different people have different likes and ideas of success and people should respect that instead of jumping on those with differeing opinions be it those attacking stripey for not liking the xcerts and i guess stripey himself for over egging the pudding when he only had to say it wasn't his thing.

but different people have different likes and ideas of success and people should respect that instead of jumping on those with differeing opinions be it those attacking stripey for not liking the xcerts and i guess stripey himself for over egging the pudding when he only had to say it wasn't his thing.

Yeh, I think that's the key point of it really. I don't think anyone is attacking him for not liking The Xcerts (well I'm certainly not), he probably doesn't like any of the bands I like and vice-versa. It's the very deliberate manner he tries to stir controversy and use petty insults and then complains when people insult him that's the problem.

Yeh, I think that's the key point of it really. I don't think anyone is attacking him for not liking The Xcerts (well I'm certainly not), he probably doesn't like any of the bands I like and vice-versa. It's the very deliberate manner he tries to stir controversy and use petty insults and then complains when people insult him that's the problem.

Rubbish, I'm just honest and speak my mind - if anyone sees that as "stirring up controversy" just because they disagree with my opinion or point of view that's entirely their problem. I think you will find the only "petty insults" in this thread have actually been directed at me in response to my entirely legitimate reaction to the video.

Guest Steven Dedalus
if anyone sees that as "stirring up controversy" just because they disagree with my opinion or point of view that's entirely their problem.

That's a fair enough point, actually.

Rubbish, I'm just honest and speak my mind - if anyone sees that as "stirring up controversy" just because they disagree with my opinion or point of view that's entirely their problem. I think you will find the only "petty insults" in this thread have actually been directed at me in response to my entirely legitimate reaction to the video.

not looking for an argument here, but i think people struggle to understand why you need to be so openly and overly negative about things.

i'm not saying you should praise them if you don't like them, either for their music/achievements/hometown because if you don't like them, that's personal, it's just the way in which your comments always have be so overly negative, almost in an attention seeking way. like you have to take some attention away from the band and take it onto yourself by just overstating how much you dislike things.

there are various ways to be honest and i personally can't see any reason to post things like the below, other than to provoke a reaction and get some attention.

can i have a refund for the 30 seconds i spent watching this before I hit alt-f4 in disgust please?

you seem reasonably intelligent, you've been around these boards for over three years, so you know who this band are and what they do. they've been in about sixty threads in that time. their music should not have surprised you enough after all that to provoke the kind of reaction you gave.

anyway, sorry to dwell on this, it's off topic. fair play xcerts but lose the squier ;)

you seem reasonably intelligent, you've been around these boards for over three years, so you know who this band are and what they do. they've been in about sixty threads in that time. their music should not have surprised you enough after all that to provoke the kind of reaction you gave.

anyway, sorry to dwell on this, it's off topic. fair play xcerts but lose the squier ;)

This was the first time I'd heard any of their music, and to be perfectly honest the only people derailing this thread/moaning/making it an issue, as per usual, are people such as yourselves who can't tolerate a different perspective. As Chris said, if you don't like my opinion you can always just be a bit more grown up and not post childish bitchy remarks.

i've no problem whatsoever with a different perspective, that's your choice entirely. i made no childish/bitchy remarks, i merely pointed out that the reason you so often get the reaction you do may have something to do with the fact that you sensationalise your opinions.

• Upvote 1

like you have to take some attention away from the band and take it onto yourself by just overstating how much you dislike things.

Bingo!

if you don't like my opinion you can always just be a bit more grown up and not post childish bitchy remarks.

Does 'weedy, spotty naieve kids' not constitute a childish, bitchy remark?

i've no problem whatsoever with a different perspective, that's your choice entirely. i made no childish/bitchy remarks, i merely pointed out that the reason you so often get the reaction you do may have something to do with the fact that you sensationalise your opinions.

No, the reason such people react in the way they do is because is they are complacent and inward looking, and most of you are all mates who went to school together etc, this forum is a total sausagefest and you all throw a hissy fit as soon as anyone with an alternative point of view speaks up.

Not everyone is of the same mindset and culture, not everyone shares the same aesthetic values and moral principles as you, this seems to be a concept people in the north east struggle with for some reason. It seems that if you don't like football, telly and pop music you're fucked up here.

This is my personality, ok, and it's only because I'm genuinely sick of getting this crap every time I post that I'm straight up telling you here and now to fuck right off and mind your own business.

As Chris said, if you don't like my opinion you can always just be a bit more grown up and not post childish bitchy remarks.

That's not what I said at all.

I actually said there was no point in reacting to your opinion (as you were never going to like the band in question). My thoughts on the maturity of people involved wasn't posted, having said that I don't think your initial post was particularly constructive. It was deliberately inflammatory, as most of your posts about things you don't like are.

Frankly Spoonie was spot on, it's not your opinion that riles people up it's how you present it.