aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Troll 2 is something else. There's quite a good documentary about it. Can't remember what it's called though. It interviews the actors who all see it as a bit of a laugh but the director was deadly serious.

Watched Dream House last night. Awful film that seemed to confuse itself halfway through and couldn't untangle its own mess by the end. Some horrible acting too. 1/10

Highlights of the year for me so far have been

Goon: genuinely funny locker room Ice hockey comedy. Sleeper hit, hope it becomes huge.

The French Connection: can't believe it's taken me so long. Fantastic cop thriller. Hugely influencial.

Rekjavik-Rotterdam: being re-released as Contraband this weekend, Icelandic original. I reckon it'll be impossible to top.

The Descendants: wasn't overly emosh 'til the end, but was bowled over. Clooney is a powerhouse, but daughter does best.

Buried: intense if you buy in to it, I guess if you don't it's just a dick in a box.

Party Down (TV): brilliant, understated comedy from the states about failed actors doing catering. Cringe/comedy-tastic.

Boardwalk Empire (TV): it would be almost impossible to fuck up with that many great performances and an epic story.

Mare, proper, reviews here

Romeo and Juliet

Baz Lurhmann's modern-day interpretation of Shakespeare's classic tale with everything modernised expect the dialogue. A really interesting idea mostly excecuted really, really well. It's a bit cheesy and would be tough to follow if you weren't familiar with Shakespeare but it's enjoyable and fairly innovative.

7/10

Bad Teacher

Fucking excellent. Despite having a protagonist who's a fucking deplorable cunt, it's really funny - proper belly laugh funny - and an enjoyable enough story: A gold digging school teacher gets dumped by her rich fiance and, much to her dismay, doesn't get to quit her job and be a kept woman - she instead has to keep working and find another sugar-daddy.

Jason Segal is the man. As easy-viewing comedies go, it's up there with Anchorman and Bruce Almighty IMHO.

9/10.

xx

I can't stand that Romeo and Juliet film. I think if they were to modernise everything, they should have done so with the dialogue too. It's wierd seeing Miami gangsters trying to pump each other full of bullets whilst they recite theatrical Renaissance English.

It jarred with me, too. But I liked that. If they had modernised the language it would have just been another shit adaptation. The execution was sloppy in places but I think that at least making an attempt to make Shakespeare more accessible/appealing to a younger/stupider audience (rather than just churning out another guns-and-explosions "re-imagining" of a classic) is a push in the right direction.

xx

The guy who owns the entiry of enter Shikari's output disapproves? Must be shit then ;).

Seriously though - love him or hate him Shakespeare produced some of literature's "greatest" work. Even if you don't personally find it that enjoyable a read, surely the thought of a generation of bastard kids, who would otherwise have no idea where the line "what light from yonder window breaks...?" meant or where it came from, might be given an inclination to pick up a book and read it is a good thing?

xx

• Upvote 1

The guy who owns the entiry of enter Shikari's output disapproves? Must be shit then ;).

Seriously though - love him or hate him Shakespeare produced some of literature's "greatest" work. Even if you don't personally find it that enjoyable a read, surely the thought of a generation of bastard kids, who would otherwise have no idea where the line "what light from yonder window breaks...?" meant or where it came from, might be given an inclination to pick up a book and read it is a good thing?

xx

Of course, definitely not disputing that. He was a revolutionary in terms of fiction, but I also believe he had a time and a place.

Besides, if anything is going to get kids reading, it's Goosebumps books. Obviously.

• Upvote 2

...then say you watched the film and enjoyed it, having never read any Shakespeare, wouldn't that make you want to pick up the book and try to read it? Hopefully understand the story a little better? Maybe improve your grasp on the English language?

I'll never see a scenario where education people is a bad thing, particularly if it's luring the ingorant towards art. Even if it's art that you don't think is very engrossing. If I could make every Lady Gaga fan listen to The Harmonious Blacksmith, I'd feel like I had done the artistic integrity of the world a great service. My own opinion on that piece would be completely irrelevant.

xx

...then say you watched the film and enjoyed it, having never read any Shakespeare, wouldn't that make you want to pick up the book and try to read it? Hopefully understand the story a little better? Maybe improve your grasp on the English language?

I'll never see a scenario where education people is a bad thing, particularly if it's luring the ingorant towards art. Even if it's art that you don't think is very engrossing. If I could make every Lady Gaga fan listen to The Harmonious Blacksmith, I'd feel like I had done the artistic integrity of the world a great service. My own opinion on that piece would be completely irrelevant.

xx

I can see a case where it could have been a good thing.

:p

• Upvote 1