aberdeen-music

The World Is One Big Phone Booth

Diesel

What's everyone's thoughts on the liberal use of mobile phones in public?

I was in Books and Beans in Belmont Street today, where I was hoping to enjoy a nice bowl of home-made soup and a scone in a pleasant, minker-free environment.

I had barely sat down, when girl with a voice that could strip paint started yapping loudly on her mobile phone, with a conversation that appeared to consist entirely of "Yeah", "Right" & "Nightmare".

As the "conversation" approached the 20 minute mark she was almost at shouting volume, when I finally snapped. I turned around and shouted "for Christ's sake woman, keep your voice down", to a chorus of "Hear, Hear".

It got me thinking that you can rarely go anywhere without hearing the sound of some gobshite bawling down a mobile phone.

Are people that bored with their own company that they feel the need to talk complete irrelevant bollocks to someone when they're in town or at an event. Aren't shopping/cinema/spectator events interesting enough for them?

Peace and quiet is gone forever, you cant even sit in a park with a book, whithout the drone of some chav yapping down a phone. Want to talk to someone? - GO AND FUCKING VISIT THEM :swearing:

Rant over.

The people who engage in talking 'irrelevant bollocks' would probably be doing the same if there was another person present, so it's good in the sense that you only have to put up with one of them.

For the vast benefits of mobile telephones, I'm willing to put up with the arseholes associated with them. After all, if it wasn't mobile phones it'd be another piece of technology they'd be wanking over all day.

hear hear

although i'd be lost without my mobile i don't feel the need to use it all the bloody time and it's normally on silent. from working in retail for the last ten years it's clear that most people throw basic manners out of the window when their phone rings. i lost count of the many times i'd be serving someone while they barely even make eye contact with me as they're yapping on their phone, not even a hi or thanks to me.

even now that i'm not behind a counter clients still feel the desperate need to answer their mobile halfway through a photoshoot which i find just amazingly rude. sometimes they don't even apologise. bah.

Little ol' luddite me doesn't like mobile phones.......I've managed to avoid getting one so far, and have survived happily enough. I'm continually irritated by seemingly normal folk loudly yapping rubbish. (The amount of folk on buses who phone up every one of their acquaintances to tell them "I'm on the bus" is worryingly huge).

The people who engage in talking 'irrelevant bollocks' would probably be doing the same if there was another person present, so it's good in the sense that you only have to put up with one of them.

Yeah, but there's something more infuriating about listening to half a conversation. There's also the sense of urgency that a phone call seems to suggest, but invariably fails to qualify.

But what is up with ring tones now that everyone in the room shits themselves when one goes off? Sitting on a very quiet Megabus the other day and some asshole keeps letting that hilarious Usher song keep playing at full volume ('yeah, yeah, yeah...yeah, yeah......yeah'), only to have irrelevant I'm-on-the-bus type conversations. Christ.

I had a girl come in for an interview and half way through she answered her fone

What a faux pas of the highest order! Did you hire her :laughing:

I'd like to point out as well, that after I moved away from the offending mobile phone jockey, another woman (older) set behind me and made a call, but didn't feel the need to share with everyone else in place.

Good manners.

Airport lounges are THEE worst though.

Guest Steven Dedalus

as someone who works in a busy office, I can't express how annoying it is when someone leaves a mobile phone sitting at their desk whilst they are somewhere else.

Annoying on three fronts, actually:

1. Just the same damn 'novelty' ringtones, going on and on and on and on....

2. What's the point of owning a mobile phone and leaving it at your desk whilst you go for a dander?

3. I always have loads of missed calls when I come back to my desk after my dander.

Guest Neutral
as someone who works in a busy office, I can't express how annoying it is when someone leaves a mobile phone sitting at their desk whilst they are somewhere else.

Annoying on three fronts, actually:

1. Just the same damn 'novelty' ringtones, going on and on and on and on....

2. What's the point of owning a mobile phone and leaving it at your desk whilst you go for a dander?

3. I always have loads of missed calls when I come back to my desk after my dander.

I don't think "dander" means what you think it means!

I have one friend who insists that it's okay for me to talk to her all the way home when I'm on the megabus, or indulge in conversation when I have to go buy something in a shop, or to continue our chat about boiz (definitely offensive to old people) when I get to an area with people around, and simply can't understand why I refuse. It's just bad manners!

I've developed a terrible (-y useful) habit of leaving my phone on silent all day, from the moment it wakes me up til the time I go to bed. That's not very useful for when people really need to talk to me, but I do check for texts every hour or two and it pisses me off being contactable every minute of the day.

Nice one on the Books and Beans scenario, by the way. :) Did she clear off or just give you a dirty look?

I still have to fight the urge not to kill little neds, who bust out terrible trance music on their mobile phones, at the back of busy buses.

I've considered putting on Pelican "Mammoth" to counter act the 'beats', but won't lower myself to their level.

i have kling klang - heavydale as my ringtone. that'll learn them.

Erm

Is this the script for the next episode of 'Grumpy Old Men'?

And yes I too want to strangle those that clearly don't need a phone or need to be having a phone conversation.

Some silly bint the other morning was playing music on her phone, some Pinky and Perky version of an old soul classic. What the fuck??????!!!!! It would have been very, very annoying if not for the fact that everyone on the bus thought she was an idiot. How dim and ignorant are you to think that this sort of thing is okay? Retarded people with technology! Oh lordy save us from ourselves!

I applaud you Alan! Now, I dare you to not use the 'interweb'

yeah, nightmare, totally, yeah, yeah i'm just having a coffee, yeah, whats that? sorry it's very noisy on here, some people are so rude, can't they see i'm on the phone, yeah nightmare, wait i'll call you back, just got a text.............

Fuck! were you there too?

That's absolutely spot on!

I did learn that she had "handed her notice in" - which would no doubt come as a late Christmas present for her boss :up:

To answer Bodast's question, she got a bit flustered, snapped her phone shut, which (and I swear) rang again immediately......"HI-YAAAAAH....erm...cough...hiya...murmer, murmer" o_O

Guest Steven Dedalus
I don't think "dander" means what you think it means!

In my innocent little Northern Irish world, it means 'going for an aimless stroll.'

Not like you dirty minded Scottish types.

Is this the script for the next episode of 'Grumpy Old Men'?

I applaud you Alan! Now, I dare you to not use the 'interweb'

If I was true to my code I would, but I don't suppose we could keep an aberdeen-music going using semaphore (it'd look bloody great though!).

I've been trying never to have a credit card or chequebook either, but it's getting harder to avoid.:down:

As the "conversation" approached the 20 minute mark she was almost at shouting volume, when I finally snapped. I turned around and shouted "for Christ's sake woman, keep your voice down", to a chorus of "Hear, Hear".

Awesome, you may of just become a personal hero of mine :)

People like that are probably one of my gripes ever, along with people who pay near enough a tenner to go to the cinema just to talk through and ruin it for everyone else, why not save your money and just have a conversation in the street.... grrrrr.....