aberdeen-music

Tips for 08 ??

saf-one

Guest bluesxman
Slighty off topic, but I was listening to the best of Nick Cave last night and enjoying it, so what would the best album be to purchase first?

There are a few Nick Cave albums in the Play.com sale for like 3.99. All worth buying. My own personal recomendations to get a full range of his work would be -

The Birthday Party - Prayers On Fire

The First Born Is Dead

Your Funeral My Trial

Tender Prey

The Good Son

Henry's Dream

No More Shall We Part

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

And Live Seeds is also immense. As is the soundtrack to The Assassination Of Jesses James....

I've yet to see them live so I'll reserve judgement but the singles and songs on myspace ARE good.

i really didn't enjoy Glasvegas for some reason. If they are in anyway comparable to the twilight sad (if only for the Glaswegian accent) they lose, miserably. Did they coin that phrase by the way?

This Town Needs Guns. Not sure whether i like the name or i don't, either way i think they're good.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

have checked out glas vegas, awful name, fantastic tunes, HORRIBLE accent...i don't like to hear that shit spoken, why the fuck would i want to hear someone singing in it? "fuhlget yahl dad he's gone"

Guest Giles Walker

You guys love your arguing on here don't you?

It's just a bit of fun you know, certainly not worth the 4 pages of bickering it has spawned.

Or is it because you guys don't really have any new band tips for 2008?

I know i would like to see Dj Eli, U-Tern (who we interviewed on my blog), Zombie Zombie and Holy Hail doing something good this year.

Also that Holy Fuck album is, in my opinion, awesome to the max, the Ebony Bones single is really fun, as was the Shocking Pinks single. I'm also about to post an interview and some mp3s of a cool russian electronic producer called Alien Delon on the blog.

There is loads of new stuff floating about at the moment but without major label money to push it, you have to spend a bit more time looking for it.

have checked out glas vegas, awful name, fantastic tunes, HORRIBLE accent...i don't like to hear that shit spoken, why the fuck would i want to hear someone singing in it? "fuhlget yahl dad he's gone"

I reckon he's putting it on a bit too, although it sounds good when he's extending the notes. I hate "the only wan" bit, and the lyrics are a bit cringe-inducingly earnest.

Guest Giles Walker
why would anyone give a shit about anybody elses "hot tips" for the year, surely you can go and read NME or something if you're into that kind of bollocks.

Yeah you're completely right stripy why should i give a shit about what the very small music scene of aberdeen thinks about music and stuff. It's not like i joined a forum called aberdeen music to talk about music anyway.

I can't believe that with a scene this small we still can't even give each other recommendations on music on a music forum.

What we shold be doing is using these file hosting sites to upload songs by the artists we are talking about so that others know what we are talking about.

That's what other forums do you know... they are probably laughing at us right now. Are you gonna take that from a bunch of folk you have never even met?

cheer up goth

Drummer in owning drum and percussion materials shocker.

I perform unique shows that make people smile, shows that are different to the sort of miserable dirge passing as live entertainment that I so often pay to see.

I would love to see someone playing a saw with bits of car tyre, or even a fruitbowl with whisks, but there does not seem to be a lot of this type of thing happening in Aberdeen.

Thank goodness for Evelyn Glennie and Paella last year, they played very unusual sets and I heard sounds I had never heard before, which was a fine change .

Perhaps you should come along and see what having fun is about, then again, I dinna really want to surround myself with miserable people full of negativity, so, on second thoughts, dinna bother coming, but please keep the negativity coming on here, it will nae doubt disuade happy people from wasting their time and money going to see namby pamby shite played by people who have a face like a skelped erse .

And while I'm here, I'll say BLACK, just so that some dick argumentative shite will say WHITE .

Och I've changed my mind, I'll say WHITE, och no, I'll say GREY, och fuck it ,I'm nae getting dragged intae a this negativity again, och AYE I am, och decisions decisions, right that's decided then, I'm happy , you are nae, let's just call a Timata a Tomato and agree that arguing is fun but having fun is better .

Here's my best attempt at being miserable washingdayBlues.jpg , stick on yer My Chemical Romance T shirt and dae the same, it beats speaking shite a day on here, cheers Biz.

I perform unique shows that make people smile, shows that are different to the sort of miserable dirge passing as live entertainment that I so often pay to see.

I would love to see someone playing a saw with bits of car tyre, or even a fruitbowl with whisks, but there does not seem to be a lot of this type of thing happening in Aberdeen.

Thank goodness for Evelyn Glennie and Paella last year, they played very unusual sets and I heard sounds I had never heard before, which was a fine change .

Perhaps you should come along and see what having fun is about, then again, I dinna really want to surround myself with miserable people full of negativity, so, on second thoughts, dinna bother coming, but please keep the negativity coming on here, it will nae doubt disuade happy people from wasting their time and money going to see namby pamby shite played by people who have a face like a skelped erse .

And while I'm here, I'll say BLACK, just so that some dick argumentative shite will say WHITE .

Och I've changed my mind, I'll say WHITE, och no, I'll say GREY, och fuck it ,I'm nae getting dragged intae a this negativity again, och AYE I am, och decisions decisions, right that's decided then, I'm happy , you are nae, let's just call a Timata a Tomato and agree that arguing is fun but having fun is better .

Here's my best attempt at being miserable washingdayBlues.jpg , stick on yer My Chemical Romance T shirt and dae the same, it beats speaking shite a day on here, cheers Biz.

Oh, you're soooooooo avant garde!!!!

Does The Malt Mill not still do their 'Fruitbowls With Whisks' night on a Tuesday?

Anyone got any info on this?

Edit - I've just remembered nowhere does nights like that because it would be fucking mental.

Guest Steven Dedalus
why would anyone give a shit about anybody elses "hot tips" for the year, surely you can go and read NME or something if you're into that kind of bollocks.

I completely agree with Stripey:

A music discussion message board is the last place we should be discussing our music tips for the new year. It just doesn't make any sense.

Actually, wait a minute, a music discussion message board is entirely the appropriate place for that kind of thing.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Biz has great hair in this photo.

I completely agree with Stripey:

A music discussion message board is the last place we should be discussing our music tips for the new year. It just doesn't make any sense.

Actually, wait a minute, a music discussion message board is entirely the appropriate place for that kind of thing.

This kind of thread is less music discussion and more a bunch of twats trying to look clever or in the know, it's of no value whatsoever.

"I think we will be hearing a lot from this band in 08" WHY? Why not explain why you believe this to be the case, is it because you read that somewhere, or is it because you have seen their marketing plan for this year? Is it because you are still the kind of gormless fucker that is lost without TOTP and the floundering music press? I'm not going to go and listen to a band just because some aberdonian has put it in their hot-for-08 list, threads like this are completely pointless, along with threads like "what cd's have you been listening to".

Guest Steven Dedalus
I'm not going to go and listen to a band just because some aberdonian has put it in their hot-for-08 list, threads like this are completely pointless, along with threads like "what cd's have you been listening to".

I resent the implication that I am Aberdonian.

I also resent your half-baked logic.

This thread is entitled "Tips for 08", and by it's very nature, a 'tip' does not need an explaination, as it is just a suggestion.

So someone coming on here and saying simply, "I expect big things from [insert band name]", constitues a tip-off.

And if you are implying that people on this website seem to think that their opinions are being taken as gospel by the world at large, then I think you should have a wee lie down.

This thread is a chance for us all to try and pretend to be cool, and predict the future.

Why don;t you have a wee go yrself? You might like it!

And to extend the olive branch towards you, I predict Stripey's music will be big in 2008.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to go and listen to a band just because some aberdonian has put it in their hot-for-08 list,

Why the constant negative references to Aberdeen or Aberdonians?

If you're from Aberdeen then I'm interested to know what aspect of your character puts you above your fellow Aberdonians and if you're not then you are on the same level as the moronic 'everyone from this place is the same' train of thought.

I don't know if you're just trying to get a rise out of people on these forums by making constant negative comments about Aberdeen and then expecting them to get all defensive about it.

I'm not bothered if people insult where I'm from, I'm just curious as to your motives.

As for the purpose of this thread, it's just a convenient way for people to talk about new music on a music forum. It just saves people starting a new thread every time they want to draw attention to a new band. It doesn't mean 'tips' as in racing tips, nobody's running down to Ladbrokes to stick on a bet on the winner of the next fucking Mercury. If you fancy an early punt though, I'd stick a tenner on that Adele girl or the Alex Turner and Miles Kane thing.

I resent the implication that I am Aberdonian.

I also resent your half-baked logic.

This thread is entitled "Tips for 08", and by it's very nature, a 'tip' does not need an explaination, as it is just a suggestion.

So someone coming on here and saying simply, "I expect big things from [insert band name]", constitues a tip-off.

And if you are implying that people on this website seem to think that their opinions are being taken as gospel by the world at large, then I think you should have a wee lie down.

This thread is a chance for us all to try and pretend to be cool, and predict the future.

Why don;t you have a wee go yrself? You might like it!

Ditto Mr Dedalus. Well said.

Stripey - Chill out and dont dare imply I, or anyone else on this forum, is a "twat" or a "gromless fucker".