aberdeen-music

aberdeen and guitars.

Sweet-C

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guitars rule.full stop.

id rather see someone rippin it up on guitar than fannying about with electronics anyday...

I don't know about that, it's been years since I've heard anyone do something interesting with a guitar. Last time that I was impressed at something new sounding was when I first heard Sigur Ros.

But 90% of them are fucking shit and should not be allowed to play gigs.

i wish they would listen...

i think the problem is that there's a lot of bands that are trying to be one of the following:

A) the MOST something eg. heavy, tech, epic, brootal;

B) Different

either way it usually sounds kack. just play what sounds good and maybe someone will like it.

back on topic though... i don't think i've ever seen a band here playing without a guitar, but why would you, it's such a versatile instrument.

what is interesting (for me at least) is these 'beeeatdoon' type bands are entirely based on the versatility of the guitar. imagine someone playing the equivilant of a C5 constantly on a piano... it would sound even worse.

i do like music without guitars though, but it's more samply kind of stuff... like DJ Shadow, RJD2, but they often use guitar samples... so maybe i don't :S

' date=' post: 433148"']i wish they would listen...

i think the problem is that there's a lot of bands that are trying to be one of the following:

A) the MOST something eg. heavy, tech, epic, brootal;

B) Different

either way it usually sounds kack. just play what sounds good and maybe someone will like it.

That's kack.

speaking of which i wish there was some pedal steel action in aberdeen, that'd be sweet. i'd love to have one of them to play with.

I'm currently learning lap steel, which is a bit different. Hopefully I'll be playing live at some point in the future, no doubt with loads of effect pedals through it though...

Lap steel, pedal steel... I may have confused the two terms.

a pedal steel is a lap steel on a stand with pedals which raise and lower the bridge adjusting the pitch and there's also knee levers involved. at it's heart it's much the same as a lap steel though. i think i'd start off with a nice resonator guitar(so it can be played lap or standard) and upgrade to pedal steel a few years down the line.

The tuning helps too though. Mine's tuned to c-e-g-a-c-e which gives it a nice country & hawaii feel.

If you have a spare guitar just put that in your lap and fiddle with the tunings (plenty on the web) and start off with a cigarette lighter or normal slide. A proper tone bar makes a REALLY big difference but they are relatively expensive.

Just remember when you do tune a normal guitar to any of these tunings that you will have to tune it down (otherwise your neck will give). I started on a telecaster with the above tuning but all down a full note.