aberdeen-music

Why is this site so quiet these days?

3.) Don't act like a baby if someone criticises your work - if you can't take it on the chin you need to grow up.

5.) It should be a very open and permissive forum for bouncing ideas around, people should try and be polite but at the same time be prepared for blunt criticism.

I agree with you on point 3, but I feel that sometimes you don't always follow point 5 :p (the politeness bit, you're a dab hand at the old blunt criticism)

Constructive criticism can mean "good and bad" (or positive and negative), but it's always got be backed up with a context, of course! Otherwise it's just 100% opinion!

If someone "gushes praise" all the time, it's just as bad as someone as being negative all the time.

Again, you've got to have some semblance of "where the person lies", with their context of "good and bad".

…and, not many people here can take open and honest criticism...but the ones that do, can obviously take what they are told, apply their own filters as to paying attention to it (or not) and "get better" at what they do!

Everything is context specific! (from giving criticism, to knowing your own "practice"...if you can't see others work in context to your own, it's all "outsider" stuff (not "bad", but certainly less informed, therefore less grounded in the world in which you'd want to work in)).

did any of that make sense?....hoho

• 3 weeks later...
Constructive criticism can mean "good and bad" (or positive and negative), but it's always got be backed up with a context, of course! Otherwise it's just 100% opinion!

If someone "gushes praise" all the time, it's just as bad as someone as being negative all the time.

Again, you've got to have some semblance of "where the person lies", with their context of "good and bad".

and, not many people here can take open and honest criticism...but the ones that do, can obviously take what they are told, apply their own filters as to paying attention to it (or not) and "get better" at what they do!

Everything is context specific! (from giving criticism, to knowing your own "practice"...if you can't see others work in context to your own, it's all "outsider" stuff (not "bad", but certainly less informed, therefore less grounded in the world in which you'd want to work in)).

did any of that make sense?....hoho

you're kid looks like Glenn Danzig. well you should dye his hair for full effect, but it's quite worrying.....

• 2 weeks later...

i think the main issue really is the same one that pops up every few years, people grow up, then moan about how it was better a few years ago then the young kids get riled up, only "back in the day" you would get a fine 25 page slanging match between "zombie", "stripey", and "ben wheres my weapon". Now mighty dave and his magic mouse close it down and hand out bans before its even got going. No one is really interested in the music, yes there are some, but most folks liked the banter. If you look through the threads now there is no real banter, christ the music discussion forum is dead now a days. Where are all the "Estrella saves the world" kinda threads? they were always fun.

Has anyone ever tried promoting gigs under the ab-music name? Wouldn't it be work to play a more active role, being firmly established as a website already? Just a thought that ocurred the other day..

I've spoke to Neil about doing this in the past. I think it is something that really should get going.

You know the standard response to this, we've been through it many times before. This is a site about music, not for flamewars. There are plenty of other sites on the net that cater for the kind of "banter" you're looking for. The site is as busy as it ever has been, it's just moved on to cater for music fans rather than petulant attention seekers. We make no apologies for that.

So if it is busy as ever then where are all the posts?

As it has always been the most popular forum on here is the wasteland/general discussion, you ruined any good musical banter there used to be on here.

Wow one post in 50 in the musical discussion forum, you've really found your niche now then havent you.

Look harder - there is more posts than that. You might want to have a look at the new posts in the other "music" related forums as well. Such as the Musicians' Corner, Feedback, Networking, Gigs & Event Announcements forums...there is plenty of new posts in them as well. New posts every day in fact.

I don't know if this has been brought up before - it probably has - but this site is really, really, really clique-y. It's all old pals, back-slapping and circle-jerking. Looking at the Feedback forum for example, when an establilshed, well-known user posts his latest offerings online everybody goes out of their way to pat them on the back and tell them how wonderful it is. But if a new user posts their stuff their lucky to get even a couple of cursory "that was shit" comments. Go look at the Feedback Forum now and have a look at how many posts have no responses, or one. Compare that to the 'old timers' who virtually get their cock sucked when they post a new song.

That's just an example, but seriously, it's so cliquey it's untrue. It's like all the old bands (and people from the old bands) are mates with each other and it's "this is our little club and if you haven't been on the music scene for 10 years you're not cool enough to play with us". When I first signed up it took like a month for anyone to even bother replying to any of my posts. I kept coming back, most people won't. New members are either routinely ignored, or belittled, in much the same way that bands coming onto the scene are. I sometimes wonder what people read first, the title of the new posts, or the name of the person who wrote it?

I don't know if this has been brought up before - it probably has - but this site is really, really, really clique-y. It's all old pals, back-slapping and circle-jerking. Looking at the Feedback forum for example, when an establilshed, well-known user posts his latest offerings online everybody goes out of their way to pat them on the back and tell them how wonderful it is. But if a new user posts their stuff their lucky to get even a couple of cursory "that was shit" comments. Go look at the Feedback Forum now and have a look at how many posts have no responses, or one. Compare that to the 'old timers' who virtually get their cock sucked when they post a new song.

That's just an example, but seriously, it's so cliquey it's untrue. It's like all the old bands (and people from the old bands) are mates with each other and it's "this is our little club and if you haven't been on the music scene for 10 years you're not cool enough to play with us". When I first signed up it took like a month for anyone to even bother replying to any of my posts. I kept coming back, most people won't. New members are either routinely ignored, or belittled, in much the same way that bands coming onto the scene are. I sometimes wonder what people read first, the title of the new posts, or the name of the person who wrote it?

I'll be honest with you - I agree with this completely. And I don't know what can really be done about this.

I think because of the relative small size of Aberdeen's music scene and because only a portion of this scene use the web site then it will always feel somewhat "cliquey" on here. However, the number of new users registering on the web site continues to grow (2 - 3 new registrations every day) and the new threads and posts keep appearing. So I'm confident that this cliquishness isn't at least causing any lasting damage to the site. But I agree with your observations and would be open to any suggestions on how we try to rectify this.

you should know, you benifited from the starry eyed critique on here in your glorious Sirius days.

you have a point though.

if i read another gushing paragraph regarding the laughable output of solo-hog i'll end up eating my own shit as a diversion.

i'm going back a few years here, but Ian simpson started a real feedback thread, with a kind of compulsion to review other folks work in order to get some sort of feedback. It was a bit too close to the garageband way of offering uploads per a few reveiws- but it was a good way of getting credible dialogue going.

I allways say what i think- that debutant thread, and the music was worth hearing, but a lot of the other stuff should be deleted.

Completly nailed it there...

The feedback forum is the last place i would post up links to our music....And look at the Toxic Distortion post in the music discussion...they are 15 years old for fuck sake...im sure if they wanted there music on here they would of posted it themselves...

Although i think they are probably having to much fun to care...an thats what its all about aint it?

8-)

I don't really have a problem with the feedback forum. Generally I find the people posting in it to be fairly neutral and keen to help.

Going back to a point I made...Neil, have you or anyone else at ab-music ever considered becoming a more active agent in the Aberdeen scene, in the realm of gig promotions etc? This is purely out of interest; I just think you are / were / could be in a plum situation to make a go of something.

Going back to a point I made...Neil, have you or anyone else at ab-music ever considered becoming a more active agent in the Aberdeen scene, in the realm of gig promotions etc? This is purely out of interest; I just think you are / were / could be in a plum situation to make a go of something.

I can't speak for the rest of the aberdeen-music staff, but no, I've not been actively involved in the local music scene for some years (ironic, I know) and this will not change anytime soon - not least because I'm moving to Glasgow next month!

The reason I give for this is due to the fact I simply don't have the time available to get involved. I've also been very reluctant to have the aberdeen-music "name" associated with any specific gigs or events for fear that we will then be accused of becoming biased towards specific venues, promoters and/or local bands/musicians. Indeed, the only "aberdeen-music" specific event that was organised was the very successful Bandwidth Festival fundraiser some years ago, that aimed to raise money to keep the web site online (the web site was much smaller back then - and the web hosting bills were much bigger). It's something that I hope we never to have organise again, but it is good to know that if we did have to organise something similar, then it could be done and done successfully.

To be perfectly honest, I think the music scene here has plenty of promoters (if not too many promoters) and we don't need amateurs like me also trying to get involved organising events for no real good reason aside from the fact we can. This web site is run on a non-profit basis and so we don't need to make money from events nor do we want to put ourselves in the position of losing money because of them either.

Of course, we'll do everything we can to make it as easy and effective for people to promote their own events of this web site to the rest of the community, but I don't see us, as the staff of aberdeen-music, getting anymore involved any deeper than that.

If anyone thinks we're missing a trick or opportunity here then please let me know. I could easily be in the wrong.