aberdeen-music

who killed off nu-metal?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what genre are Korn et al?

You need genre's to describe bands. I probably wouldn't go and see a band if you told me they were britpop or indie, but if you said they were metal then I'd consider it... So what if the media invented the name? They needed to, to describe the bands they're reporting on.

metal. its not necessary to invent tons of 'sub-genres' to describe bands. just lazy imo

personally i would go and see if a band if i'd heard an album/track/demo and liked it...

nu metal was a fad created by the media to put "rock" music back into the charts after a dismal late 90s

as always a whole wave of fads come and go, right now we have the likes of NU RAVE, so called "emo" (LOLZO) and all of the other media coined nonsense.

ginger coined it right with " i wanna go where the people go"

look at all the pop punk kids from the early 00s who are now into so called "emo" garbage like taking back sunday, alexisonfire et al, covered in rubbish tattoos and holes in their ear lobes, that they will regret for the rest of their life. look at all of the totally stakey as fuck myspace metal bands who are going (ON TOOOOR) yet never actually go on tour or are (CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF VAN/DRIVER) etc

people = idiots

Guest Steven Dedalus
nu metal was a fad created by the media to put "rock" music back into the charts after a dismal late 90s

as always a whole wave of fads come and go, right now we have the likes of NU RAVE, so called "emo" (LOLZO) and all of the other media coined nonsense.

ginger coined it right with " i wanna go where the people go"

look at all the pop punk kids from the early 00s who are now into so called "emo" garbage like taking back sunday, alexisonfire et al, covered in rubbish tattoos and holes in their ear lobes, that they will regret for the rest of their life. look at all of the totally stakey as fuck myspace metal bands who are going (ON TOOOOR) yet never actually go on tour or are (CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF VAN/DRIVER) etc

people = idiots

That's all fine and dandy, but has it ever really been any different? The reason genres are constantly being invented is because it:

a. Helps people who consume music (and I mean both the music buyer, and the critics) categorise what they are consuming.

b. Gives the illusion that music is progressing and developing (when frequently the opposite is true)

and

c. It's kind of fun and occasionally gives a sense of cohesiveness to things.

When other people have being saying things like, "nu-metal didn't exist" or "grunge didn't exist", it just doesn't ring true because they DID exist, just not in an organic form. People used the words, we all know what they mean, therefore they exist. That's just semantics.

I'm not disagreeing with you Mr Maxwell, as I think you have rather succintly put forth the dangers of following these things too closely, but rather I'm having a go at all of you who shout, "Blah blah blah was a made up genre, and doesn't exit." If anyone knows what you're talking about, it exists.

Guest Savant
That's all fine and dandy, but has it ever really been any different? The reason genres are constantly being invented is because it:

a. Helps people who consume music (and I mean both the music buyer, and the critics) categorise what they are consuming.

b. Gives the illusion that music is progressing and developing (when frequently the opposite is true)

and

c. It's kind of fun and occasionally gives a sense of cohesiveness to things.

When other people have being saying things like, "nu-metal didn't exist" or "grunge didn't exist", it just doesn't ring true because they DID exist, just not in an organic form. People used the words, we all know what they mean, therefore they exist. That's just semantics.

I'm not disagreeing with you Mr Maxwell, as I think you have rather succintly put forth the dangers of following these things too closely, but rather I'm having a go at all of you who shout, "Blah blah blah was a made up genre, and doesn't exit." If anyone knows what you're talking about, it exists.

Agreed!

Skacel - if a metal band mixes up jazz in their music, should they still call themselves Metal? wouldn't it be better to call them Jazz-Metal, as it gives a bit of an indication to their style?

Guest Steven Dedalus
What is punk ?

You know, I'm annoyed at myself for getting drawn into this, but do you mean 'punk', or 'punk rock', as there is a profound difference?

Punk= an ideological standpoint which informs the music, suggesting certain pioneering musical attributes: confrontation, going against the grain, esoteric, etc. This is more of a philosophy than a musical genre.

Punk Rock: a reactionary form of music that was at it's most visible between 1976 -1978. Emphasis put on standard 'guitar-bass-drums' format, and a lack of musical training (or at least the veneer of it).

Etc, etc, etc.

I still think genre is here to stay, and it's a useful thing for anyone who writes about music, makes music, or indeed listens to music.

By the way, anyone who challenges those definitions is missing the point. They are half-hearted and I only used them as an example of how one can contextualise using a genre. RANT OVER. Back to bed now.

i couldnt be bothered reading the whole thread but a report made by boffins at strathclyde university concluded without any shadow of a doubt it was graeme souness who killed off nu metal....

That figures - he tried to kill off enough careers when he was playing......

I also can't be arsed reading all this thread, so if this answer has already been given, fair enough. It went down the tubes because it was the first musical genre in history when all of the music was shit, not one thousandth of a second of its collective output was even listenable, let alone good, (cf. also Funk Metal)

meh merely decided that laughing is the best kind of medicine

i dont live in aberdeen, and only make it to a few gigs a month, so i have no place to rant about the music scene. plus things are reasonably good in abdn. it would be nice to see more diy bands and people putting on gigs of that ilk but all in all its looking decent