aberdeen-music

triptych04 : mute night

lepeep

well, Some interesting stuff on last night...

wire (first set), blasting, they looked like shite (shambling old

dads), but sounded as tight and menacing as anything ! fucking ROCK.

Komputer : what a dissapointment, one of those bands I wasn't sure

that when it sounded like the computer was fucking up, was it

supposed to ? (I didn't think it was , because these fucking muppets

left on the "tinkle" noise when they went to open new files (in what

looked like pro-tools)..how embarrasing, hearing a windows alert

coming through the PA ever 5-10 mins...)

Pan Sonic : wowee, cracking, I loved the soild beat foundations, and

some crazy washes and multi tracked / delayed noise over the top, I

was fairly tapping my foot to these dudes. (I may have to buy a pan

sonic CD soon!)

Pink grease : great fun, what is it with piss take pands being super

popular at the moment ?! (darkness, goldie lookin' chains etc)

Liars : nutty as fuck. the drummer looked like a brick shit house

scouser...in a lepoard print dress (with dangly earrings!)...the set

was repetetive and intese, but I loved it, the drummer was so solid,

the best thing about the band...he reminded me of the jesus lizard

drummer.

Fucking modey lemon cancelled, bastards.

I agree to all of the above. I'd like to add the following:

My FUCKING EARS. ARGH. Ta, Wire.

Pity the Liars couldn't make it, nice to see The Birthday Party have reformed. (Absolute magic!).

Boo on the Modey Lemon thing, woo to Chris and Cosey for some ace DJ choices upstairs. T Rauschmeire pulled too. Overall, fucking hey!

I had a feeling the Liars front man reminded me of Mr Cave, glad you confirmed that for me !

as for the ears thing, clever old grandad phil took along some ear plugs, nae tinitus for me !

I left halfway through the second set of the wire gig (as they seemed to me to be playing the same set as the first one), did they play "the LowDown" ?..actually, don't tell me if they did...boo hoo...I missed the T Rauschmeire set, mothboy reccomended that I go check him out... what was the set like ?

shame bout modey lemon. pink grease rocked. kinda like new york dolls meets dexys midnight runners which had to be good...the liars had some cool moments but bit self indulgent and went on too long for me...wire were cool cept the guitarist on the right was a bit borin and i hate them guitarists without a head!

Originally posted by lepeep:

as for the ears thing, clever old grandad phil took along some ear plugs, nae tinitus for me !

I left halfway through the second set of the wire gig (as they seemed to me to be playing the same set as the first one), did they play "the LowDown" ?..actually, don't tell me if they did...boo hoo...I missed the T Rauschmeire set, mothboy reccomended that I go check him out... what was the set like ?

I've been spoiled with all the laid-back gigs I've been to of late, so I forgot to even think of ear protection. More fool me.

I stayed downstairs for the second Wire set, so I can tell you nothing about how it was.

My first post was confusing, sorry - What I meant was T. Rauschmeire had pulled out of playing. Boo.

Stayed for like 10 minutes of Tim Wright's set, but after Pan Sonic upstairs and the Liars I kinda felt saited and left.

Guest RomanChoke
Originally posted by j.turgenev:

i thought pink grease were shite, its a shame theyre cashing in like the darkness. who actually says, "you'll be hearing this one on the radio soon..." ?

i refuse to like a band also because 'theyre fun'.

They've been going on for about 2 years since the Darkness bollocks began and they also sound good which can't ever be said for the Darkness. Even bums in the street have resorted to playing Darkness songs on corners for pennies which is considerably worse than stating a fact "You will hear this one on the radio soon..." because you will.

Guest neil ex

i thought wire and liars were great. i saw a bit of komputer and thought they were rubbish. i thought pan sonic were pretty boring, they were alot more interesting than komputer though, it was quite nice to listen to in the background smoking a fag at the entrance upstairs. pink grease seemed alright, they were more entertainers than musicians, we were sitting at the back and didn't really listen to them. my head was pretty sore when i got home. it was the first time i was upstairs at the lemon tree and it's a great place to put on a gig.

Originally posted by RomanChoke:

They've been going on for about 2 years since the Darkness bollocks began and they also sound good which can't ever be said for the Darkness. Even bums in the street have resorted to playing Darkness songs on corners for pennies which is considerably worse than stating a fact "You will hear this one on the radio soon..." because you will.

just because they were doing it two years before the darkness doesn't justify what they're doing though, i think, and i thought they were twee rubbish. i just didn't like the way they projected themselves, and i don't like 80s throwbacks.

each to their own however.

good to hear some folk enjoyed the night, i didn't make it along and had heard only bad reports. though everyone i spoke to said liars and pan sonic were awesome. they also all said wire were shite.

werent' the dj's just playing can records? i was told it was something to do with irmind schmidt's grand piano not fitting on the stage so they just played can records instead of umm, playing can songs on a grand piano. or whatever. not that there's much wrong with can mind, just coulda been a bit disappointing for some folks.

i really wanted to see liars though :(

i think the fact that i didn't realise that there was an upstairs at all shows the state i was in before i arrived. Liars were lovely, such pretty pretty shoes. Pink grease smelled worse than almonds, i don't like the smell of almonds all that much.

I left before wire for no reason I have been able to discover since.

I hear neil was rocking the anarchistic vibe by trashing mcdonalds, you fiend.

Originally posted by daveofficer:

good to hear some folk enjoyed the night, i didn't make it along and had heard only bad reports. though everyone i spoke to said liars and pan sonic were awesome. they also all said wire were shite.

I imagine whoever it was that kept shouting for Outdoor Miner might well have thought they were shite ...

I thought they were great ... although I still don't understand why they suddenly feel the need to play Pink Flag-era stuff for encores.