aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

He's probably not tall enough for the Premiership. 1 million for a player with only a year left on his contract is good business, but that assumes that he would walk away for nothing at the end of contract and not resign.

A decent chance that he won't get a game down there because of his height and will be back at the Dons in a couple of seasons having made soem good cash in the interim.

also watch him walk straight into the Scotland back 4 once he's left Aberdeen.

Depends how well he copes in the EPL...

If he does crap, he won't walk into the national back four. If he does well, he could. But not because he has left Aberdeen, but because he is playing well at a higher level against superior opposition.

Please don't jump onto this "Anti-Aberdeen" nonsense with the national team. The manager is an 'Aberdeen legend' for a start, so doubt he'll discount anyone because they play for Aberdeen. For the last 11 years, Russell Anderson has done well, sometimes exceptionally.... but only been tested against SPL opposition and 2-4 European teams in competitive (sp?) circumstances. Whereas the likes of Weir, McManus, G.Caldwell, Webster have had much more experience in those areas. Remember what happened when McNaughton was thrown in at the deep end...? We won't tinker too much with the national team with only 5 or so matches to go till the end of the qualifiers.

I think as well, it doesn't help when Jimmy Calderwood is calling for Langfield, Chris Clark, Ricky Foster, Lee Miller et al to be called up for the national team. Michael Hart, Russell Anderson, Jamie Smith, Scott Severin.... I wouldn't have any problem with them being in the squad, but not those other no-hopers.

I do expect that Anderson will replace Weir after this qualifying campaign, and do hope that he will replace him before the end of this qualifying campaign. But who knows... wish him all the best at Sunderland, and hope that he excells for both club and country :love:

He's probably not tall enough for the Premiership. 1 million for a player with only a year left on his contract is good business, but that assumes that he would walk away for nothing at the end of contract and not resign.

A decent chance that he won't get a game down there because of his height and will be back at the Dons in a couple of seasons having made soem good cash in the interim.

Cannavaro for Real Madrid?

Carvallho for Chelsea?

He'll be fine.

Guest DustyDeviada

I think as well, it doesn't help when Jimmy Calderwood is calling for Langfield, Chris Clark, Ricky Foster, Lee Miller et al to be called up for the national team. Michael Hart, Russell Anderson, Jamie Smith, Scott Severin.... I wouldn't have any problem with them being in the squad, but not those other no-hopers.

What's your definition of a "no hoper" then? Because Langfield did get a call up.

What's your definition of a "no hoper" then? Because Langfield did get a call up.

A player who is rubbish. Who shouldn't be anywhere near a national squad.

Would you then say that players like Kevin Kyle and Scott Dobie wouldn't be classed as rubbish, since they not only got into squads, but actually collected caps??

Also, llok at players like Riordan, Kevin Thomson, Mark Brown etc. They all got moves to the old firm and haven't been called up since. In fact he called up in form Naismith instead of Old Firm Riordan.

I really don't believe there is any Old Firm bias within the National Squad.

*Note: I do actually hate the Old Firm when ICT are playing them though :up: *

Guest DustyDeviada

Was just wondering what your definition of "no hoper" was, ie were you meaning someone who JC was talking up but had no hope of getting in the squad.

But now it seems your definition of a no hoper is just a donkey.

The manager is an 'Aberdeen legend' for a start

Legend? Fucking Judas.

Scott Brown - A few good seasons for Hibs. Shows promise for the future. 4.2 million

Russell Anderson. Rock steady for 8 years straight. Peak of his career. 1 million

Justice?

The manager is an 'Aberdeen legend' for a startQUOTE]

Legend? Fucking Judas.

Scott Brown - A few good seasons for Hibs. Shows promise for the future. 4.2 million

Russell Anderson. Rock steady for 8 years straight. Peak of his career. 1 million

Justice?

Anderson is older and only has a year remaining on his contract. I do think that 4.2M for Brown is overpriced though.

Anderson is older and only has a year remaining on his contract. I do think that 4.2M for Brown is overpriced though.

I know he's older. But if we use Davie Weir as an example Russ could still have a fair few years left at the top. He's never really been troubled by injury which bodes well for the future.

Brown only had 2 years left on his contract.

In any case I think it's beyond a joke that Brown went for 4.2 million and Anderson is worth 1 million. It's a similar situation with Stevie Naismith. These joke bids from Rangers are nothing short of insulting.

I know he's older. But if we use Davie Weir as an example Russ could still have a fair few years left at the top. He's never really been troubled by injury which bodes well for the future.

Brown only had 2 years left on his contract.

In any case I think it's beyond a joke that Brown went for 4.2 million and Anderson is worth 1 million. It's a similar situation with Stevie Naismith. These joke bids from Rangers are nothing short of insulting.

Yeah, that's annoying. It's usually a question of how much the selling club will accept more than a question of the value of the player. Bidding clubs will often test the water with low bids (Rangers making nonsense bids for Naismith as an example). If they get refused and they really want the player then they will up their offer.

Aberdeen seem to have accepted 1M for Anderson rather than see him go for free at the end of this season.

He's not gone yet though...

It's official, Anderson's gone for a million:

SAFC.COM: / News / News Archive / Dons skipper signs for Cats /

Aberdeen | News | Club News | Club News

He's donated his signing on fee to the Aberdeen youth system, nice gesture.

Booooooooooo

but good luck to him.

Going to have explain big business to my 10yr old son now. He'll be gutted, at least he is likely to have a new EPL team to support.

I wonder if Jimmy will get a small percentage of the sale to buy with?

Guest DustyDeviada

Shame. Ah well, money talks, and although it would have been good for him to stick with the Dons he would always have regretted not taking the chance to see if he could cut it in one of the best leagues in the world. I guess he impressed Keane during his stint in Scotland then.

First decent amount of cash the Dons have got for a player since Hignet in 98.

I wonder if Jimmy will get a small percentage of the sale to buy with?

They seem to be making a big deal of using the money to pay wage increases to the rest of the players out of contract, so I guess not. Still we've taken in 3 players already this summer (including 2 defenders) so we're not doing too badly.