aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
They seem to be making a big deal of using the money to pay wage increases to the rest of the players out of contract, so I guess not. Still we've taken in 3 players already this summer (including 2 defenders) so we're not doing too badly.

Yeah, probably sensible to use the cash to pay off some of the debt rather than buying more players, harsh but true I'm afraid. I did wonder what we were going to do with all the defenders at the club.

Hope this doesn't mean a permanent move to the back four for Severin though.

just read that the atletico madrid fans have staged a protest in madrid square over the transfer of fernando torres. sounds like something we should have done. one million quid :down:

its ok though we have the mighty trio of considine, diamond and mair waiting in the wings!

Guest DustyDeviada
just read that the atletico madrid fans have staged a protest in madrid square over the transfer of fernando torres. sounds like something we should have done. one million quid :down:

its ok though we have the mighty trio of considine, diamond and mair waiting in the wings!

I would say a million quid for a defender with a year left on his contract who hasn't really been tested at European and International level is decent business, BUT if and only if he was going to leave at the end of the season anyway.

Cheerio to any hope of the Dons having anything resembling a good season!

My memories of Anderson from the away end at Todders was having to do a silly amount of running and covering to save the arses of the rest of the defence back when Pele was in charge. Don't think Lee Mair is much cop, and McNamara isn't the player he used to be.

I think Tangoman is in for a rough ride if you get off to a shit start.....

Disappointing to hear Keane saying Anderson will "provide competition for places at the back". hopefully he'll get his chance and take it to be a regular starter. I don't think you can moan about the transaction as he was always going to move if he has any ambition to test himself at a higher level. Better to get a million now than heehaw at the end of the season.

Guest DustyDeviada

Fair dos I say, you can't expect him just to walk into the first team when they presumably have defenders who won the Championship for them last season.

Don't get me wrong, I hope is is a first team regular, but Keane can't come out and say that right away, he'll have to prove himself in training and pre-season friendlies.

I Was Pretty Gutted When I Got Wind Of This This Morning. Best Aberdeen Player I've Ever Seen (i'm only 17, not really been any contenders in recent years.....Arild Stavrum?). But Fair Dos To Him, He Is Good Enough. And It Can Only Help The Scottish National Team With Him Playing At A Higher Level (hopefully) Week In Week Out. But........We Really Should've Got More Than One Mil For Him!

Oh Well, Time For Big Zander To Provide What He Promised All Those Seasons Ago. Personally, I'm Putting MY Balls On The Line And Saying Zander For Captain, Although Everyone Is Saying Seve. But Zander Has All The Traits Of Russell, He Just Needs To Curb His Enthusiasm In And Around Our Own Box, Otherwise He's Solid As A Rock At The Back. And Andy Considine Showed A Lot Of Promise In The Second Half Of The Season.

It's Not As Bad As A Lot Of People Are Making It Out To Be. Yes We'll Miss His Leadership, But With People Like Severin, Nicholson, Brewster... and Even McNamara, We Can Easily Push For Europe Again Next Season.

Bastards! Ah well, good luck to Russell, big payday at least.

Can see Sunderland getting humped this season though, but at least he gets to test himself.

He'll be back at the Dons in the future, i'm sure of that.

I very much doubt it. I reckon Sunderland will have a good season. Keane took them from relegation to winning the Championship so I'd say they will be fine.

It's the best move he can make, hopefully if not starting straighting away he gets a lot of games as a sub so he can start getting starts in the Scotland squad.

Why David Weir is still getting picked i've no idea...

I Was Pretty Gutted When I Got Wind Of This This Morning. Best Aberdeen Player I've Ever Seen (i'm only 17, not really been any contenders in recent years.....Arild Stavrum?). But Fair Dos To Him, He Is Good Enough. And It Can Only Help The Scottish National Team With Him Playing At A Higher Level (hopefully) Week In Week Out. But........We Really Should've Got More Than One Mil For Him!

Oh Well, Time For Big Zander To Provide What He Promised All Those Seasons Ago. Personally, I'm Putting MY Balls On The Line And Saying Zander For Captain, Although Everyone Is Saying Seve. But Zander Has All The Traits Of Russell, He Just Needs To Curb His Enthusiasm In And Around Our Own Box, Otherwise He's Solid As A Rock At The Back. And Andy Considine Showed A Lot Of Promise In The Second Half Of The Season.

It's Not As Bad As A Lot Of People Are Making It Out To Be. Yes We'll Miss His Leadership, But With People Like Severin, Nicholson, Brewster... and Even McNamara, We Can Easily Push For Europe Again Next Season.

I have realised how hard it is to read sentences when every word has a Capital At The Start.

Fair points though apart from the Zander bit...

I would assume Severin will become Captain. Nicholson anyone?

Diamond's gonna be lucky to get a game next season let alone get the captaincy. Can't see Brewster holding down a place, either. He'll have to improve on his one cup goal and zero league goals. Oh, and stop looking EXACTLY like a 41 year old mannie huffing and puffing around the pitch :up:

I thought Seve would walk into the job too but the Cooncil mole was saying today Jimmy is, at the moment, wanting to give the captaincy to McNamara. I can understand it on a pure experience level, but it's nae exactly good for the team if someone who's hardly played with them is given the armband right away. Having said that, he's a natural leader and will certainly be more vocal than Anderson, captain or not. Anderson's only weaknesses for me are - he's a bit short for the giants of the Premiership and he's nae vocal enough. I reckon Jackie will cut out the silly mistakes that Considine and Diamond were doing on a fairly regular basis last season through his leadership and vocalness. (Assuming either of them get any pitch time.)

I wouldn't put it past going to Nicholson though. I reckon if Clark was a bit more vocal Jimmy would have handed him the armband by now. The chosen one, and all that.....

Hopefully Severin as captain will get him performing at 100% far more often. Nicholson to step up if Seve is ever out injured.

well gutted about Anderson, ive never loved a player (fuck that, ive never loved a person) as much as i have Cadger. the word legend gets thrown around too often these days, but he is someone fully deserving of that title.

Guest DustyDeviada
I have realised how hard it is to read sentences when every word has a Capital At The Start.

Agreed. That must have taken fucking ages to type.

If Jimmy wants to go a little mad though he could give to Michael Hart :up:

I think if Jimmy was to go outwith the Nicholson, McNamara or Severin options then I reckon he might start thinking about giving it to Chris Clark. Never misses a game and he's a Jimmy favourite.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea, but I think it's a possibility.

Cheerio to any hope of the Dons having anything resembling a good season!

My memories of Anderson from the away end at Todders was having to do a silly amount of running and covering to save the arses of the rest of the defence back when Pele was in charge. Don't think Lee Mair is much cop, and McNamara isn't the player he used to be.

I think Tangoman is in for a rough ride if you get off to a shit start.....

Speaking of crap defenders... Zander Diamond. Everyone used to rave about him, but now it's generally accepted that he's a bit pish. I saw him playing for Scotland U21 at Pittodrie against France a while back, and it was the worst performance from any player I've ever seen, he got turned inside out and taken off at half-time.

I think it'll take a while for Aberdeen to sort out the back four because it was built around Anderson, but that's probably why Tangoman brought in McNamara.