aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gretna. lol

It is particularly gratifying to see them crash and burn after their "meteoric" rise from kicking/shoving/pushing part timers around in the 3rd division, to being kciked/shoved/pushed around in the SPL

not really, it's shit to see any club go into administration not least through the serious illness of their owner.

fair enough to lol at their poor results but laughing at this is a bit much.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
gretna. lol

It is particularly gratifying to see them crash and burn after their "meteoric" rise from kicking/shoving/pushing part timers around in the 3rd division, to being kciked/shoved/pushed around in the SPL

It'd be interesting if they go 3rd Lanark before the season's end. The only reasonable thing to do would be to reinstate the club they replaced in the SPL...

:up:

Guest idol_wild
not really, it's shit to see any club go into administration not least through the serious illness of their owner.

I don't think Maxi is laughing at that particular aspect. Like me, he has a problem with the club because they did nothing but pump outside money into the team to achieve a short-term fix, without considering the long-term consequences that were obviously attached.

Even much bigger clubs like Dundee and Hearts have suffered because of outside cash being pumped into the club, without the basic financial stability to maintain any sort of longevity. This is a hugely repugnant aspect of modern day football.

Frankly, I think Gretna deserve to go into administration. They are a poorly run club who barely have the fan-base to survive two divisions beneath the SPL, let alone the SPL itself. Ideas above their station. A club has to grow over a period of years and years. Not three seasons. It is not viable. Gretna's situation is now evidence of that.

nah, if you supported a 3rd division team that they belittled and patronized to fuck you would maybe have similar feelings.

How on earth did they let this happen? Why was there no future planning? If he felt as strongly about Gretna FC (as opposed to his own personal campaign to be a messiah) he would have transferred assets to the collective ownership of the board, or formed a trust of some sort. I think its strange that a club can go down the shiter in this way, I wonder if it would be the same if they were midtable?

Sorry for being cynical/insenstive, but Ilness or no ilness, the club were smug gits during their time in the lower leagues and I certainly didnt appreciate it

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Only on the condition you take your shitty former manager and all his shite players back.

Deal?

I wouldn't have that bastard back for the world. Might take the players back and punt them for buttons.

It's a good offer, but I'm ready for the question...

I don't think Maxi is laughing at that particular aspect. Like me, he has a problem with the club because they did nothing but pump outside money into the team to achieve a short-term fix, without considering the long-term consequences that were obviously attached.

Even much bigger clubs like Dundee and Hearts have suffered because of outside cash being pumped into the club, without the basic financial stability to maintain any sort of longevity. This is a hugely repugnant aspect of modern day football.

Frankly, I think Gretna deserve to go into administration. They are a poorly run club who barely have the fan-base to survive two divisions beneath the SPL, let alone the SPL itself. Ideas above their station. A club has to grow over a period of years and years. Not three seasons. It is not viable. Gretna's situation is now evidence of that.

Very well put and my sentiments exactly. Although despite my dislike for both Dundee and Hearts, I'd be genuinely disappointed to see any proper clubs such as them go out of existence.

I'm more interested in whether or not Fort William fold...

I wouldn't have that bastard back for the world. Might take the players back and punt them for buttons.

It's a good offer, but I'm ready for the question...

To be fair, with the exception of Barry Nic, the only half-decent player of ours they still have is umm... er... Derek Young. LOL.