aberdeen-music

Worst Guitar solos you've heard

Guest RomanChoke

Guest RomanChoke

The one that really rips through me and just leaves me with a total anti climax would have to be Metallica's - One. That Amiga game sounding guitar solo is just absolutely terrible!

Also most of the guitar solos by the guitarist in RATM are very shit too

Anybody else got a cringing guitar solo they've heard. Perhaps its one that just hurts.

Originally posted by RomanChoke:

The one that really rips through me and just leaves me with a total anti climax would have to be Metallica's - One. That Amiga game sounding guitar solo is just absolutely terrible!

Also most of the guitar solos by the guitarist in RATM are very shit too

Sarcasm is great! ;)

Guest stuartmaxwell

the "solo" in questions and answers by biffy clyro is fucking appaling

that guitar line in collagen rock by mclusky is awful (dunno if it counts as a solo)

Guest RomanChoke

The solo for Metallica's - One (and I sincerely mean) is THE worst solo I have ever heard. It just sounds totally awful in that song...but then again their drummer uses a double bass pedal so I guess they enjoy shit sounds on their records

Originally posted by Alex DeLarge:

Solos are soo old! Its what they did 40 years ago for christ sake!

Nothing wrong with solos if they aren't there just for the sake of it. Plus a solo shouldn't be all about musical masturbation and fret wank, but should add something to the song - another melody or something like that?

There's a fair few solos on deadenstereo recordings and I like to think they are there for a reason and add something to our tunes.

Plus I like solos cos it means I get to stand right up the front and be idolised by hundreds of impressionable young ladies who are questioning my sexuality as I rock out with a pink telecaster, possibly played behind my head.

As for the other things mentioned in this post:

1) Yes, the solo for Q&A by Biffy is fucking abysmal. I honestly thought he was a better guitarist than that.

2) The solo for Freebird is good and should not have been mentioned in this thread, unless it was to say how much fun it is driving around with the 'windows down and the system up' (M style) when it's sunny liistening to those two guitarists soloing off with each other.

Drakes2.jpg

[note the In Skynyrd We Trust T-Shirt]

Shite solo - You Got to Fight For Your Right to Party - Beastie Boys. I'm sure it's by some famous shred guitarist and it fucking blows donkey dick.

Craig

Guest phoenix_down

i think the Q+A solo was probably written like that. i mean im sure he is a better geetarist then that. but dosent mean he always has to play amazingly fast stuff. i like that solo anyways. its quirky.

Originally posted by phoenix_down:

i think the Q+A solo was probably written like that. i mean im sure he is a better geetarist then that. but dosent mean he always has to play amazingly fast stuff. i like that solo anyways. its quirky.

I didn't mean I thought he was technically a better guitarist. The solo sucks, not because it isn't really hard to play, but because it sounds horrible, doesn't fit and makes me cringe.

it can be quite hard to write a solo, much harder than writing a riff for a song, or even writing a part to fit a song during the verses or something. It has to have a good melody or good sound or something.

one man's quirky is another's piece of shit. But that this beauty of life's rich pageant huh?

Craig

Originally posted by Demon_Of_The_Fall:

coffee and t.v by blur is shite!!

i kinda think that's the point

it reflects the lyrics of the song, about feeling all awkward and uncomfortable

the solo in pavement's "infinite spark" is also a bit like this, it's ham-fisted screechings reflecting the lyrics about "man bleeding forever"