aberdeen-music

DJ required - no experience necessary

Flash@TMB

CeeJay the DJ is going to drop soon... as in have a baby, and therefore requires maternity leave. So The Moorings Bar requires some random to step into her shoes for a few weeks and cover the Friday Wrecking Ball.

NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY (I just so know that I'm gonna regret typing that last bit).

The successful random will:

Have an extensive knowledge of all forms of rock music, including classic rock, metal, gothic, old punk, US punk, numetal, thrash, glam, hair, death, industrial, melodic, AOR, MOR, southern rock, grunge, blah blah blah...

Realise that the above list does NOT include dance, techno, indie, or any novelty records.

Have access to an large and varied collection of CDs representing each genre plus any others that I've missed off the list. NOTE - I have stipulated CDs, not vinyl or MP3 because those are a hassle for me to setup as I'm old & tired. Plus I know SFA about computers.

Be aware of the lesser played album tracks that are on par with the cliched over played stuff. For example the track "You Could Be Mine" on Appetite for Destruction (bet I catch shit for that).

Be aware that Paranoid and Doctor Doctor do not qualify as 'lesser known album tracks'.

Have knowledge of lesser known bands, new acts, and local bands. Owning their CDs might also be a good idea...

Be capable of injecting some suitably variation into the playlist every week.

Have the ability to read the crowd and respond to their needs. Planning the set list in advance is NOT AN OPTION. There's no point in scheduling "Mother Russia" for 2113:53 if the Goths don't arrive until 2147:08. Ken fit Ah mean?

Be able to continually dream up what to play next, over the course of a 5 hour period. Every week. Week in / week out. Year after year.

Take requests from the punters, this includes having sufficient CDs to find the shit they ask for... BUT use discretion before agreeing to play it. Some slapper that's willing to flash her breasts is NOT AN EXCUSE to play Final Countdown. OK? Only a loaded weapon qualifies on that count.

Devote a fair slice of air time to each genre of music. Except Death Metal.

Slowly rev up the crowd until they enter dance mode. This means entering the zone early, then sucking them in gently, then bringing out the big guns at the exact moment to ease them off the seats and onto the dancefloor. NOT playing all your best shit in the first 30 minutes then spending the rest of the night working through all 4 sides of Topographical Oceans. BTW Yes is not allowed either.

Knowing when everyone is sufficiently happy and drunk to respond positively to some cheesy overplayed err classic. Like Paranoid. The use of the term 'knowing' is key here - guessing doesn't cut the mustard.

Be able to slip in unfashionable stuff but still make it sound cool. This is very important because I'll request 'Midnight Music' by the Runaways every fuckin week.

Be able to take direction from me, since it's me that goes bankcrupt if you scre everyone away from the bar. This includes when I'm drunk and obnoxious.

*** Gee I never realise how hard this was!!! ***

Not entirely necessary, but a distinct advantage is the ability to make occasional humerous observations through the mic. You at least need to be able to say "Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Wrecking Ball".

Anyhow you get the drift...

Perks are that we pay you for this. Seriously. You are permitted to drink within the envelope where you can still function, and on the condition that you do not become an asshole. There is also the possibility of a lift home provided you live within a commutable distance.

Age/sex are unimportant. Ugliness is tolerated within reason. Body odour is considered unacceptable - Garth. Literacy is considered manditory. Neds need not apply (now why did I bother to write that since they can't read). You shall not wear Buburry, a football strip, or Lee Cooper jeans.

After CeeJay returns there will be the requirement to cover the odd day here and there, and also to DJ on a Saturday before, between, and after bands.

Apply here or in PM.

Flash

Originally posted by Ross:

"You Could Be mine is on "Use Your Illusion 2" ..... track 11 or 12 if I remember correctly. Also on Terminator II OST....

Ah but my copy of Use Your Illusion 2 lives in an Appetite for Destruction case for some reason. Which explains a why I couldn't find Mr Brownstone on it

So your point is only valid everywhere outside of the Moorings.

Originally posted by Eggatron:

You should have a word with Kenny about it. He's got a huge collection of stuffs, but I think it's mostly vynil. I could well be wrong. I often am.

I already did but unfortunately we do not have a facility for vinyl. One of the problems being that the decks would be sitting directly over the bass bins, and it would be almost impossible to keep them from jumping. It's been hard enough with CDs. Other than that he would have been a good choice.

He took in his CDs last Saturday but unfortunately the range isn't really broad enough to meet our requirements. He is however an option for us between bands on a Saturday.

Guest Scorge Spike

I wish that all job descriptions were as entertaining a read as this one. :D

I would put me name forward for this, but I couldn't get home, nor expand ye olde CD collection sufficiently. Rats.

That would be something I would really like to do but there is a few snags. I only have one US punk record in my collection (No prizes for guessing which) and funnily enough coming from somebody who likes their thrash and death metal, I haven't one Slayer cd in my collection, not necessarily(sp?) a bad thing but still. I think I could manage to do it but I think you would need to see my range first before making a decision.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL

y

Originally posted by Ross:

"You Could Be mine is on "Use Your Illusion 2" ..... track 11 or 12 if I remember correctly. Also on Terminator II OST....

Although at least you can spell "Iron Maiden"

My laptop needs a new keyboard me thinks.

LOL contrary to my earlier reply I actually go this even more arse over tit. The song I meant was "Think About You", and it IS on Appetite for Destruction BUT my copy of Appetite for Destrcution is in the Use Your Illusion II Box. Doh!

Now - and remember I'm not called Flash for nothing... I just figured out that this is also the reason that Use You Illusion II is living in the Appetite for Destruction box. All those years of confusion cured at last!

How I got the tunes mixed up I'm not sure, but I prefer "Think About You" for dancing to.

See why I don't DJ very often?

Guest Musket

are you still looking for a dj? i have a range of cds and vinyl ranging from the beatles through frank sinatra through motorhead and some new junk too i also love getting very very drunk which could be a bonus on non work nights ? :D

How much would I absolutely love to do this?

This honestly sounds like the greatest job in the history of the world - getting paid to sit around and play music in the coolest bar in Aberdeen? *daydreams*

Well I've got nothing better to do on a Friday and Saturday night. Apart from watch Friends. And I'd much rather dj at the moorings.

Plus I've got a heee-uge record collection. And I'm young and eager.

:cheers: