aberdeen-music

[GIG] Element 106 + The Holy Folks + The Unknown Heroes @ The Moorings Bar

maybe you should have a word with Flash and explain you don't actually know the people that were involved in the fight...?

i actually did have a word with flaqsh well tried to. i treid to explain that the people who were involved were unknown to any of the band. i treid telling him they were brought along by a friend of a friend but all he said we dont want to risk the bar being damaged if you play here again. but the fact is, is that its nothing to do with our band i mean if people were moshing to any band and it broke into a fight would the band that they were moshing to not be alowed back to the venue?

i actually did have a word with flaqsh well tried to. i treid to explain that the people who were involved were unknown to any of the band. i treid telling him they were brought along by a friend of a friend but all he said we dont want to risk the bar being damaged if you play here again. but the fact is, is that its nothing to do with our band i mean if people were moshing to any band and it broke into a fight would the band that they were moshing to not be alowed back to the venue?

Friend of a friend still means they came to see you, and are therefore quite likely to do so again. It's shit luck for you, but you can understand why Flash wouldn't want to take that risk. Too many fights = no more licence. One of the many many joys of the Moorings is the fantastic friendly atmosphere, Flash does a great job keeping that. If it means being strict about who's allowed in, or to play, so be it.

Here is the scoop:

A man pertaining to be the uncle of one of the band members phoned up a bunch of people and invited them to the bar. Then arrived in three taxis each one containing four young men in coordinated apparel (with the exception of some junkie in a blue cardingan. These people did not adhere to our strict dress code, and under normal circumstances we would not have admitted them. Under normal circumstances the mere mention of a door charge would have sent the scurrying away to Tiger Tiger or Chicago Rock. But no - these guys were not only willing to play, they even new the name of the band they had come to see. Clearly they were musics fans???

Despite this I took an executive decision that no more neds were to be admitted, even if they drew up in a horse drawn carriage and clutching golden tickets signed by Willy Wonka himself. Wise move as it turned out.

Once they were admitted the atmosphere began to turn sour. They mucked the barstaff around by claiming the asked for lemonade in their spiced morgans not coke, trying to grad their hair, and calling them "love" and "darling". Everytime I walked passed I heard mention of "fight" and "kick that cunts head in". One shortassed mutant was strolling up and down the room giving everyone evil stares. The band started, and although this was the band that they had all come to see, none of them paid the slightest attention to it. Instead they continued to hassle the barstaff that the bottles of becks were too warm, and why didn't we stock Millers (sic) or Magners.

At around 2230 the dwarf mutant assaulted our doorman who immediately placed him in an arm lock. The mutants clone mate then started trying to punch the doorman. I ran over to help... but the other 11 'smartly dressed music fans' beat me to it, and they all piled in like ants on a pheremone trip. The doorman side stepped aside, the protagonists landed in the corner, and we pushed them all out the door.

Nobody got glassed. However one of our regulars who was outside smoking got knocked over by the exiting thugs and cut his head on the wall.

The thugs ended up in a heap outside. It was like watching a school of piranha fish having an orgy. Eventually they discovered that there was nobody at the bottom of the pile up. They asked to get back in to finish their drinks. I told them they might as well; it would give them something to do while we waited for the police to arrive. Instead they left.

The whole incident lasted 10 seconds. The fighting lasted 4 seconds. Most people missed it.

As for the band... this is how I see it...

If the band did not invite these people, then they might not invite those same people next time, and something smiliar (or much worse) might reoccur, since clearly the band have no control over the situation.

OR

If the band did invite these people then they exercised extremely poor judgement, and they are likely to take the chance of doing the same thing next time.

Either way we cannot risk a repeat performance. Perhaps there are other venues that are prepared to take that risk - who knows? This is the bands problem and it's up to them to sort it out. Over the past 3 years this has only happened once before, and that was with a band called Stranded. The other 499 bands that have played since then do not attract a riot. I know of other bands that have this problem, some of them are pretty good... BUT under these particular circumstances, safety concerns overule charity and fairness.

The safety and enjoyment of our customers comes first. Normal people go out to have fun. Normal people find violence unpleasant, frightening, and upsetting. Bars and clubs exist for these normal people to enjoy, not for thugs to ponce around in.

Men who go out in large single sex groups, wearing coordinated clothing, and are whose only means of achieving orgasm, is being on the thick end of a 16 vs 1 punch, up clearly have some strange fetish thing going. There are places that cater to that sort of behavior, they are called prisons, and are full of uber macho thugs, who get to fight each other, fuck each other, and wear matching clothes all day long.

In future if any undesirables show up then we shall refuse the entry, regardless of whether they are there to see a band.

The rest of the gig was good. After those people left things went back to normal and I really enjoyed both The Holy Folks and E106. in fact I enjoyed Element more that at any time in the past.

would anyone advocate heading down to the moorings and having a proper talk with flash? discus everything that needs discussed?

or would you say it would flare the situation? i don't want to known as the band that brings fuckin motherfuckers or anything, so i'd like this to be sorted. i like playing the moorings.

or should be just leave it and settle never to play there again?

EDIT: flash bet me to the punch there. we're fucked then.

Yo flash i mean no disrespect but, we've played tons of shows (and i mean a fucking shit load) and, like i said before, this hasn't happened before. and i do apologise for anything that happened last night to your staff and what not.

didn't stranded get so much bad publicity after that, they fell apart or something? i remember reading the stuff about them sueing and shit on here. but i dunno what became of them.

was a good gig, and i liked the unkown heroes and E106 were ace of the 4 or so songs i heard.

the atmosphere up the stage end was class, and typical moorings. however, the few times i drifted down towards the door you could sense things were going to go sour. but the bams had their scuffle, and after that everything was normal again. its tough on Unknown Heroes but thems the breaks. it could've been a one in a million thing, it could happen all the time, but flash and the moorings cant really take that risk.

Yo flash i mean no disrespect but, we've played tons of shows (and i mean a fucking shit load) and, like i said before, this hasn't happened before. and i do apologise for anything that happened last night to your staff and what not.

didn't stranded get so much bad publicity after that, they fell apart or something? i remember reading the stuff about them sueing and shit on here. but i dunno what became of them.

Your appology is accepted, and I realise that the band are not DIRECTLY to blame. But fair or not, this is your problem, and nothing to do with the venue.

Aside from anything else, our barstaff and doorstaff would almost certainly refuse to work if you were ever booked to play again. Can you see their point? And what about the poor guy with the gash on his head - what would he think? He's getting married next week - how will that look in the photos?

Once more thing, just for future reference: You still asked to be paid. If the boot was on the other foot... say for instance I had poisoned you with a bad pint... then how would you feel if I came into the bog when you were throwing up and demanded my 2.30? Think about it.

And what about the poor guy with the gash on his head - what would he think? He's getting married next week - how will that look in the photos?

poor guy indeed :(

i can see both sides of the coin here, but the moorings at the end of the day is a friendly bar where generally friendly (sometimes OVER friendly :rolleyes: ) folk drink and if you've been associated with troublemakers turning up then... it's a shame, but flash is right to want to protect the reputation of the bar.

Married next week????? He'd better not be - he's meant to marry me in May (by which time his face will have healed and the dickheaded wankers who did this will hopefully be drowned in the harbour or have contracted a painful and protracted terminal and disfiguring illness.

Bugger, there goes my artistic license. The original story had everything: drama, excitement, and tragedy. Now that the tragedy is cut, we're just left with a run of the mill ninja combat yarn :)

Bugger, there goes my artistic license. The original story had everything: drama, excitement, and tragedy. Now that the tragedy is cut, we're just left with a run of the mill ninja combat yarn :)

Sorry hon! Mind you - I think his eyebrow will still look interesting as far off as May...... I was (and still am) VERY angry about this, and am, in a way, glad I wasn't there as I don't believe my temper would have helped the situation any. The Moorings absolutely does not need total idiots of this type turning up. They have their own skanky little places to hang out and this is exactly why the rest of us don't go to them.

Sorry hon! Mind you - I think his eyebrow will still look interesting as far off as May...... I was (and still am) VERY angry about this, and am, in a way, glad I wasn't there as I don't believe my temper would have helped the situation any. The Moorings absolutely does not need total idiots of this type turning up. They have their own skanky little places to hang out and this is exactly why the rest of us don't go to them.

If it's any consolation... the week before we got married the dog bit my nose off. Seriously.

Married next week????? He'd better not be - he's meant to marry me in May (by which time his face will have healed and the dickheaded wankers who did this will hopefully be drowned in the harbour or have contracted a painful and protracted terminal and disfiguring illness.

Erm I was getting in a bit of a state their too!!!!

Thought I had ma dates wrong.

Hope he's a bit better now,

when I asked how he was he said he was 'tender'... 'Like a sirloin'

ah bless poor mite.

I really enjoyed this gig.

I missed all of the commotion (was it when I went downstairs to get warmed up maybe?) so can't really comment on it. I do remember you (Flash) mentioning it to me briefly though.

That's quite possibly the best Element set since I joined last year. I was really quite happy with it and there was a great response aswell.

First time people have complimented my playing at Moshulu afterwards :rockon:

;)

I really enjoyed this gig.

I missed all of the commotion (was it when I went downstairs to get warmed up maybe?) so can't really comment on it. I do remember you (Flash) mentioning it to me briefly though.

That's quite possibly the best Element set since I joined last year. I was really quite happy with it and there was a great response aswell.

First time people have complimented my playing at Moshulu afterwards :rockon:

;)

Even I noticed your playing... especially the solos :)

Cool :) That's nice to know!

I don't know if it was something to do with an on stage monitor or whatever but I couldn't hear what was going on with my stuff so much - couldn't really hear it.

I'm guessing everyone else could though :laughing:

The centre monitor is broken at present. Grant was doing the stage on Saturday. He's still learning, and we are relying on his ears to tell us whether the guitars are balanced on stage.

If you ever experience this problem again, then just mention it between songs and Mark will turn up your amp remotely.

The centre monitor is broken at present. Grant was doing the stage on Saturday. He's still learning, and we are relying on his ears to tell us whether the guitars are balanced on stage.

If you ever experience this problem again, then just mention it between songs and Mark will turn up your amp remotely.

That explains it then (the monitor issue).

If no-one else could've heard me on the floor then I would've said something but with Tony being on the floor and giving me a nod to suggest it was going to plan out there - I didn't bother!

I was loving the fact that I didn't need to bring an amp to a gig for once! It's great having my setup already supplied!

Me too - what's that all about?

Just so that everyone is aware, ALL my comments on this have been posted in this thread. There has been nothing outside of that.

Fuck knows what that was about, I think he maybe clicked on the wrong thread. Anyway, I've removed the post (and the one quoting it) as it was offensive.