aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Recently finished Irvine Welsh's "Glue" and working through two quick memoirs - Nikki Sixx "The Heroin Diaries" and Piper Kerman "Orange Is The New Black - My Year In A Women's Prison". Still ahead of schedule on my 50 Book Challenge but losing steam a bit since I started watching The Sopranos again and playing GTA V. Bad moves.

I'm currently reading And Another Thing... while sitting in the Italian sun.

It's good but seems to spend far too much time filling gaps with guide entries and explaining races you have already met (Vogons) while not really explaining about the four main characters which is a bit disjointed and makes you wonder who the book is pitched at, people new to the series or people familiar with the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished "The Extra Ordinary Life Of Frank Derrick, Age 81" by J.B Morrison (who I found out after I read it is the lead singer from Carter USM). Initially I found it very annoying but I stuck with it and glad I did. Very light hearted and easy to read but fun.

Now started "Doctor Sleep" by Stephen King, which continues the story of Danny, the little boy from The Shining, now an adult, a drifter with serious addictions, haunted by trauma and his power which still gives him terrifying visions. So far monsters, cocaine, child abuse and a newborn baby has predicted 9/11. Not so light hearted.

Edited by Lemonade

When I read Everything is Illuminated (I think in my teens) I thought the first chapter written by Alex was incredible; but the novelty wore off a bit and rest of the book just didn't live up to the profound masterpiece suggested by the press soundbites. The film (good) is pretty faithful to the book IIRC but it's only the actual in-Ukraine narrative and ditches the surreal sections Lemonade mentioned (and about which I remember nothing). His other, later main book, Extremely Loud ad Incredibly Close, I did really enjoy.

Finished Kafka on the shore this morning. Really good fucked up Japanese shit. I must invest some more time in Murakami.

Started the Road to Los Angeles by John Fante and after that I'll read Tales From Bunker Hill then I'll have finished the Bandini quartet. John Fante is fucking ace and anyone who's a fan of Bukowski should check him out, if they haven't already.

Finished Kafka on the shore this morning. Really good fucked up Japanese shit. I must invest some more time in Murakami.

I'd recommend 'Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World' as I read it this year and it's ace, despite the crap title. Have always meant to read more Murakami but it's just never happened.

Just finished 'Oracle Night' by Paul Auster. Classic Auster story-within-a-story-within-a-story stuff. Really great, though, engaging and bleak as fuck.

I bought a copy of 'The Big Midweek' by former bass player of The Fall, Steve Hanley about his 17 years in the band.  Its supposed to be for my forthcoming holiday but couldn't resist reading about the infamous on stage bust up in New York in 1998 when an onstage fight broke out and he finally left the band.